UKIP MEP's front window smashed with a brick

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:28 pm

Quote:
UKIP MEPs home attacked with bricks as campaign of hate against UKIP steps up.

News reaches us that the campaign of violence and intimidation against UKIP has been stepped up a notch. UKIP's London MEP Gerard Batten and his wife were woken at 3:30am this morning by a loud noise in their house. On getting up and investigating they could see nothing and assuming their cat had knocked something over they went back to bed. 45 minutes later, they were woken again by a loud bang followed by the sounds of breaking glass. There was no mistaking the cause this time, as on coming downstairs to investigate they discovered a house brick in the middle of their living room and their living room window smashed. Police are investigating and reviewing local CCTV footage.

This is just the latest in a string of increasingly heated attacks on UKIP supporters, activists and premises and comes just hours before a UKIP meeting in Hove this evening which is expected to be heavily picketed by Hope not Hate and UAF activists. At UKIP's last meeting in the area, Hope not Hate activists verbally abused and intimidated pensioners they believed to be attending the UKIP meeting only to discover that they were in fact blood donors attending a regular NHS donor session in the same building.

Elsewhere, UKIP leader Nigel Farage was assaulted by Hope not Hate activist Andrew Scott in Margate - Scott was subsequently convicted - and by HnH/UAF activist Fred Glenister in Nottingham. Glenister is awaiting trial.

This is an organised campaign against UKIP supporters. Violent assaults, destruction of property and vandalism, threatening behaviour towards our supporters, criminal damage and bricks through the window.

The anti-democratic left is a nasty infection in the British body politic. It is more dangerous and serious than the far-right is at the moment and needs dealing with urgently.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 May 2014, 5:24 am

If this is true, then it is truly nasty and I hope those vandals get caught and sent to prison. The same goes for those people sending poo, though I highly doubt they could be caught and maybe non-prison alternatives will work for them.

It does seem that this guy is a nasty piece of work though, calling for a banning on Mosque construction in Europe: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... g-violence

Obviously that doesn't remotely justify this alleged vandalism, but it does make you question what on Earth this guy is doing at the top of an MEP list!

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 2:06 pm

What makes you so certain this is the work of the 'anti-democratic left'? Did the brick have a note tied to it saying 'from UAF'? This vandalism, while it cannot be condoned, has more suspects with motives than the 'Who shot JR' episode of Dallas.

You're fast to forget that UKIP has enemies also to its right, many of whom are perhaps far more predisposed towards violence and harrassment than the left you despise so much. If think only the left has an axe to grind with UKIP you're thinking wishfully at best.

Moreover with the speed of which UKIP members are so fast to throw out false allegations of slander against its opponents I don't think its in a position to finger point anyone as anti democratic.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 2:42 pm

Speaking of harrassment and bullying, it seems that UKIP voraciously spent time and energy trying to identify a general member of the public who embarressed Mr Farage during an episode of Question Time. With this arrogance and pomposity its a miracle they haven't had more bricks through windows.

From the Official Hope Not Hate site

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip/ukip-witch-hunt-3737
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__tk2A52rLg

Oh, It just occured to me, going from the OP's link, it seems a little rich of UKIP supporters complaining about the Green party borrowing aesthetics when they create knock off websites of HNH in precisely the same vein.

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 4:14 pm

thomas81 wrote:
What makes you so certain this is the work of the 'anti-democratic left'? Did the brick have a note tied to it saying 'from UAF'?

If it had, you would still have excused them.

A pint (we'll say £3.50) says that this was from a member/supporter of a far-left hate group. If it turns out to be from someone else, I'll pay the money.

Because the far-right have never engaged in violent anti-UKIP activism (save the stink bomb stunt in Wythenshawe).

All the real nastiness comes from the anti-democratic left, of which you are a part.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 May 2014, 4:50 pm

thomas81 wrote:
What makes you so certain this is the work of the 'anti-democratic left'? Did the brick have a note tied to it saying 'from UAF'?

This is the smoking gun:
Quote:
Several 'anti fascist' groups have published the home addresses of UKIP MEPs on their Facebook pages with the suggestion that members 'pay them a visit',

There is far more criticism of UKIP from the left than from the right (shock horror: right wing party not disliked by right wingers), so simple odds also support it.

To be honest, I think all of this is just as irrelevant as the "another UKIP member says that homosexuality is wrong" sideshow. It is hard to escape from the fact that UKIP's policies are lacking. Some are simply weak (forcing tourists to prove they have health insurance; "abolishing political correctness"), and many are totally repugnant (scrapping the Human Rights Act, investing in new coal-fired power stations, total climate change denialism, scapegoating Romanians for crime).

You two have clearly made up your minds. You're probably not changing anyone's by slinging mud. If the party is so good/bad, stand up for or attack the olicies. Unless you think the policies suck/are alright, but the elected officials are secretly messiahs/monsters.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 2:35 am

The_Walrus wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

This is the smoking gun:
Quote:
Several 'anti fascist' groups have published the home addresses of UKIP MEPs on their Facebook pages with the suggestion that members 'pay them a visit',

There is far more criticism of UKIP from the left than from the right (shock horror: right wing party not disliked by right wingers), so simple odds also support it.

The Tories despise us.

The BNP hate us too - because we're taking a lot of their votes!

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 4:03 am

Tequila wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

This is the smoking gun:
Quote:

The Tories despise us.

The BNP hate us too - because we're taking a lot of their votes!

You'll take BNP votes, but ban former members from joining? What a bunch of scoundrels you are!

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 May 2014, 4:34 am

Hopper wrote:
You'll take BNP votes, but ban former members from joining? What a bunch of scoundrels you are!

Surely this is a joke? They can't stop people voting for them.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 5:14 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Hopper wrote:

Surely this is a joke? They can't stop people voting for them.

Kind of a joke. I should have had 'gladly take...' in there. I was just tickled by Tequila's boastful proclamation of why the BNP hate them.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 5:05 pm

Hopper wrote:

We basically don't want the inevitable hassle when it's found that these people are dodgy. There may well be some decent people who have been in the BNP (or NF, or the other far-right mini-groups) in the past who would be great for UKIP, but the risk is too great for us. It's not for Labour and the Tories - hell, the Tories just today have a hardline Islamist player standing for them! I think they'll be withdrawing that. Now, if it was Labour they'd probably promote him!

If ex-BNP (or NF, or anyone else like that) voters support UKIP we can't stop them and we don't endorse BNP policies anyway. That much is clear. So if you want to send the Poles, Pakistanis and blacks home, not a lot of point supporting us as you won't get it if we ever attain power.

Farage has said that UKIP is welcoming votes from people who voted BNP in the past but dislike their racism.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 6:19 pm

Love the vote, hate the voter. Class move.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 6:28 pm

Hopper wrote:

Who said we hate ex-BNP voters? Farage is suggesting that people who used to hold their noses while voting BNP can choose a non-racist alternative instead. Most of these types would not actually have joined but would have been angry with the government's immigration policy.

As for the members... it's not so much a case of hating them as wanting to eliminate unnecessary risk. We don't want the aggravation. No doubt there is a fair number of people that joined the BNP and left soon after when they realised what the party was actually like.

There is a faction within UKIP that says that we should have the same membership policy as all the other parties and it's a credible point of view, but I can understand both sides to this.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 2:49 am

Tequila wrote:
thomas81 wrote:

If it had, you would still have excused them.

I specifically said I didn't condone the attack, I said it is foolish to presume that it was certainly a 'leftist' attack.

Unlike UKIP members, I have rubbed shoulders with SWP, ANL and UAF activists in the past. Most of them consist of middle class students, the disabled, the elderly, teachers, union shop stewards and care-in-the-community types. I can tell you that they would not be the usual suspects in such an activity.
Tequila wrote:
A pint (we'll say £3.50) says that this was from a member/supporter of a far-left hate group. If it turns out to be from someone else, I'll pay the money.

Because the far-right have never engaged in violent anti-UKIP activism (save the stink bomb stunt in Wythenshawe).

All the real nastiness comes from the anti-democratic left, of which you are a part.

Given the context of the attack, since the individual specifically make a gaffe against the muslim community it basically places a motive with the entire broader islamic community too.

Surely as Libertarians, UKIP concedes that HNH and other anti fascist groups can't be held responsible for the actions of everyone who listens to their meetings or reads their literatures.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 2:58 am

Tequila wrote:
Hopper wrote:

Who said we hate ex-BNP voters? Farage is suggesting that people who used to hold their noses while voting BNP can choose a non-racist alternative instead. Most of these types would not actually have joined but would have been angry with the government's immigration policy.

As for the members... it's not so much a case of hating them as wanting to eliminate unnecessary risk. We don't want the aggravation. No doubt there is a fair number of people that joined the BNP and left soon after when they realised what the party was actually like.

There is a faction within UKIP that says that we should have the same membership policy as all the other parties and it's a credible point of view, but I can understand both sides to this.

You see, here is the thing. If UKIP was truly regarded in the popular light as the 'non-racist' alternative it sells itself as it wouldn't have to disown ex BNP members. Its got nothing to do with the negative baggage that BNP members bring. The jury are still out on whether or not the UKIP is just the BNP-lite, so people believe there is a crossover when they get BNP defectors. Plastering posters everywhere that blames the job shortage, the percieved 'affront to our sovereignty' and dilution of culture on Polish labourers and women in burkhas doesn't improve that image.

With Leftist groups on the other hand, they don't have that issue. Andy Sykes for example, worked with the Anti Nazi League and Searchlight after defecting to the political left despite formerly being one of Griffin's inner circle.

My deviant art profile