Jobs for people with Asperger's in Criminal Justice

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 1:43 pm

I got into the field due to my fascination of killers. BIG MISTAKE! nearly 6 months leftt I'll be done December and nothing to show for it! Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Google = offender/victim WHO HAS AS! UH NO! How about JOB with someone with AS WORKING in Criminal Justice! Perhaps working with AS victims/offenders might be a help considering I have AS myself but doing what I'm not sure. I SUCK SOCIALLY! Anxiety being around people socially (Even an awkward "Oh you like Mario" (If I'm buying a Mario game) leaves me confused and paused. Yet alone weather or such trivial BORING topics! Totally clueless and confused on the most BASIC social interaction stuff.

But COULD I be hired with ZERO social skills? I FEEL I have zero! 1 year on college campus HAD to do Spanish and connected with NO ONE! All IDIOTS! Who didn't take college seriously. Online classes (since I can't get to University or drive) = YA UH! Actually NO! My interest in killers got me the line "I shouldn't be in Criminal Justice in any way shape or form I should be a serial killer groupie." (Uh depressing comment/reply SO UH! I've tried connecting WITH ZERO STUDENTS ONLINE! 6 months out from finishing my degree! I KNOW it's not all YA KILLERS! But I find them INTERESTING! on a "Why would you do such a thing" level. How my interest applies to a job I have no earthly IDEA!?

PLUS ZERO EXPERIENCE! WILL I be hirable come December degree NO WORK EXPERIENCE?! !! ! :-(

trick70
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2014, 3:49 pm

It can be done. Keep your eye on some of the entry level jobs (dispatch, analytics, etc) because experience is needed for something bigger. Find out what kind of support or relief programs your Sheriff or Police dept have. It's hard to work for free, but it gives you the opportunity for a better shot at the paid jobs. If this doesn't work out, any job you can get counts. Lack of social skills doesn't help but being cold and analytical isn't the death nell it could be in other jobs. People try for years to land the right job so ask yourself how long you can persist before you attack that frustration. Be warned, as much as I enjoyed the job, the people I worked with were a greater frustration than the people investigated. Good luck.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 7:09 pm

I work in Criminal Justice--as a data entry operator.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 9:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I work in Criminal Justice--as a data entry operator.

Data entry sounds ok. Might consider that one. I know physically I can't become a cop or corrections officer or any such detective stuff. Homicide Investigator you have to have a science background (chemistry/bio etc.) I HATE SCIENCE! My text said science with Minor in CJ UH found out 6 months too late for that and again HATE SCIENCES! (scratched by with a C in Bio and not touching CHEMISTRY!) That's OUT! Thanks. Hopefully things can work out after December so I can finish my degree and get a job in the field SOMEWHERE! :-)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 7:28 am

In New York City, there's a job called "Police Administrative Aide," which is used with people who are 911 operators, emergency response people in general. They probably have such a thing in Florida. It's not high paying, but it's civil service, and if you something like 20-30 years, you'll get a decent pension.

Look in the civil service test lists where you work. Apply for the test. Take the test--you'll be put on a "civil service list." Then, after some time (it varies), someone will "pick you up" and you will have a job with great benefits, great job security after a 6 month (or 1 year) probationary period, and a pension. At least in my plan, you could retire at age 62 with a decent pension.

You could also get this sort of job "provisionally," then take the test, then go through the civil service process.

I'm not a PAA, by the way. But I do work for the City, have been for 33 years. I'm going to retire in 8 1/2 years with a decent pension.

DianeDennis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 May 2014, 2:14 pm

One thing I say is be honest with your potential employer about your Asperger's Syndrome. Explain that it means you don't socialize which means you'll be putting in more time/getting more work done than those who do stop and socialize.

Explain that folks with Asperger's have a "black and white" attitude which means you'll give your employer some of the best work he's ever seen as long as it's repetitive (or not if you don't need repetition).

My sister put herself through college and earned several degrees and was never able to put them to use due to her Asperger's. I ended up creating my own job at home because I couldn't socialize (but I wasn't diagnosed so it counted against me and cost me more than one job).

If I knew then what I know now I would have been 100% upfront and explained my Asperger's and why I don't socialize but that in return I would give more than most any other employee he/she has ever had.

Also, in the future, if you have student loans and you end up not being able to utilize your degrees due to your Asperger's there has been incidence of school loans being forgiven by the courts with exactly those circumstances (having Asperger's and not being able to utilize your degrees).

In the meantime, to find any type of job, go to the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR here in Washington but it might be different in your state) and ask them for help in finding a job. Here in Washington they'll send the person out on a job they're interested in and have them assessed for three days to see how much support the person needs in order to keep a job. Whatever amount of support the "disabled" worker needs there's another agency here that provides that support. And it's all at no cost to you.

I wish you the best with it!
Diane

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:29 pm

I had a similar mentality with being fascinated in being a motor vehicle mechanic because of my fascination with F1 Telemetrics and timing, I can say it was not for me after a year. Similar goes with IT Systems and Design Analysis, a big part of that is leasing and communicating with a client, both getting information and building rapport for trust.

Fortunately for me, there are different aspects in the System Design process such as investigations or the design aspects.

Possibly for you... The Criminal Justice field may not need as much social skills if you look at other areas. Possibly there's criminal investigators that are not out in the field, but provide their useful logical and other skills that are crucial in the process of justice.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135