Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 9:56 pm

We have been slaves to technology every since the invention of the cellular phone. I don't know many people who own a cell phone who would ever leave their home without their cell connection. The more "independent" someone professes to be the more it seems they are chained and enslaved to their "connection." Money be damned, I will not be slave to this BS. I pay $55.00 a month now for cell access that I use less than 5 minutes a month. People say "what if someone is dying and noone can contact you? You must not care as much as me." BS. It has nothing to do with caring. Human beings die, get sick, get hurt, and worse. That is life. That is reality. People survived just fine with death and all other calamities of life long before the invention of the cell phone. Being continuously "connected" is escapism from reality, but maybe some people need that. I don't

http://www.sciencedump.com/content/10-t ... e-humanity

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:00 pm

You are wasting your money. Buy a prepaid phone, keep it turned off, and use it only for emergencies.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:06 pm

starkid wrote:
You are wasting your money. Buy a prepaid phone, keep it turned off, and use it only for emergencies.

I only use this for emergencies and GPS stuff for Geocaching. I don't trust a prepaid for the Geocaching or for helping me find my way home from dark country roads at 3am on my scooter. Other than that I dont even turn this thing on. It is my one extravagance in life. Only one family member knows my number. I have given it to noone else. I have had a lot of prepaid phones and even with my minimalist usage I have still not been satisfied. I also take a lot of pictures with my phone, but never of human beings

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:23 pm

"But what if there's an emergency? How will people contact you if you have your phone off all the time?"

"They can call the emergency services; they're probably better qualified than I am to deal with an emergency."

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:28 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
"But what if there's an emergency? How will people contact you if you have your phone off all the time?"

"They can call the emergency services; they're probably better qualified than I am to deal with an emergency."

+1

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:32 pm

I look at people endlessly gabbing on their phones and think 'you are a complete idiot.'
Had to get one (just in case) but I routinely leave it at home. I refuse to be a slave to the damned thing. Its my opinion that Zombies are so popular in the media because people act like them walking around staring at their stupid phones.

I bought an older used car, and in driving it home suddenly realized the gas gauge was inaccurate. Sputtered to a stop, and had to go door to door asking if I could call for a tow. Embarrassing, but the third person was helpful and placed the call for me. Proof you do not have to have one of things with you at all times.

Which brings me to my favorite idea for a Reality TV Show, namely put 20 somethings on a farm deep in Amish country with no electricity, no inter web, and especially NO CELL PHONES. Then the clock is started to see who can last the longest....

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 10:37 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I look at people endlessly gabbing on their phones and think 'you are a complete idiot.'
Had to get one (just in case) but I routinely leave it at home. I refuse to be a slave to the damned thing. Its my opinion that Zombies are so popular in the media because people act like them walking around staring at their stupid phones.

I bought an older used car, and in driving it home suddenly realized the gas gauge was inaccurate. Sputtered to a stop, and had to go door to door asking if I could call for a tow. Embarrassing, but the third person was helpful and placed the call for me. Proof you do not have to have one of things with you at all times.

Which brings me to my favorite idea for a Reality TV Show, namely put 20 somethings on a farm deep in Amish country with no electricity, no inter web, and especially NO CELL PHONES. Then the clock is started to see who can last the longest....

I get sick of seeing "couples" out together in restaurants, or any other place, completely ignoring each other 24 inches away because they are wrapped up in punching buttons on their cell phones. The sound of incoming message alerts makes me want to gouge someones eyeballs out in public places.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 11:13 pm

Smart phones are here to stay until something technologically superior makes them obsolete. Complaining about them is futile and a waste of time and energy.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 12:44 am

I will stick with my cognitively challenged AARP-type phone as I use it only for emergencies in which it is good enough, I don't need to spend $100 a month to surf the web while out and about.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 1:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
I will stick with my cognitively challenged AARP-type phone as I use it only for emergencies in which it is good enough, I don't need to spend $100 a month to surf the web while out and about.

I dont know how anyone can surf the web on a smart phone, or why. I would rather watch birds fly and insects crawl when I am out and about than surf the web. I have a whole clan of family members going camping together for memorial day weekend. They are taking every convenience they can plug in to the 16 available electrical outlets at their campsite. They are out in the middle of nature on their camping trips and do not notice anything in nature that is happening around them. They will all carry their devices every place they go and one of their biggest priorities when they are settling in at night will be making sure their cell devices are all fully charged for the next day. They will take pictures and videos of all of their adventures but when they get home there will be no record of encounters with wildlife, other than the fish they catch and eat. Oblivious to butterflies, birds, flowers, smells or anything to do with nature, but every action and movement the humans and their offspring indulge in will be recorded for the future inhabitants of society to admire and envy, for whatever reason I cannot imagine. I watched some of them today pouring over photos of their last family camping trip, all marveling at this picture or that picture and saying as how none of them remember this or that. If you need a picture to remind you of something so unoticable in the moment it occured what is the point of existence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 1:18 am

at my aspie meetups people are using both smart phones and ipad/ipad knockoffs by other companies, and I am the only one who is not thusly equipped. I am smartphone deprived. :hmph: but back to your point, one can either live in the moment or live in the ipad or smartphone. there are a few who are wise enough to ration their smart equipment for important things relating to preserving the moment while spending most of their neural powers on appreciating things in the flesh, as it were.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 1:44 am

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 1:54 am

SammichEater wrote:

If you are bored you are not paying attention

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxeYDl0H6Q[/youtube]

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 3:18 am

khaoz wrote:
I pay $55.00 a month now for cell access that I use less than 5 minutes a month.

Get a better plan, if they exist in America. I pay around ?5 per month for my cell plan and I can make up to two hours worth of calls per month and send unlimited SMS text messages. I normally only use around ten minutes per month. The cell phone is mainly for emergencies. We no longer have a land line telephone and use Skype for phoning abroad and even when phoning international land lines with Skype the cost is very low, something like 2 or 3 cents per minute. I put £10 credit on Skype last year and there is still around £8 credit remaining now!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 3:25 am

TallyMan wrote:
khaoz wrote:
I pay $55.00 a month now for cell access that I use less than 5 minutes a month.

Get a better plan, if they exist in America. I pay around ?5 per month for my cell plan and I can make up to two hours worth of calls per month and send unlimited SMS text messages. I normally only use around ten minutes per month. The cell phone is mainly for emergencies. We no longer have a land line telephone and use Skype for phoning abroad and even when phoning international land lines with Skype the cost is very low, something like 2 or 3 cents per minute. I put £10 credit on Skype last year and there is still around £8 credit remaining now!

My phone is not for calling people, other than emergencies. I rarely talk on the phone. The cell is just something I keep in my scooter for emergencies and to help me find locations when I am doing Geocaching in the middle of nowhere. Plus the picture taking. The cost is not an issue to me. My life has very minimal expenses. I just require quality in my device, even though it is seldom used. I am paying for the assurance and reliability of quality. I dont even have sounds turned on as far as call or message alerts.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 3:50 am

It is so refreshing to know I am not the only one who leaves a cell phone off most of the time. If someone needs to reach me (which is highly unlikely) they can leave a voice message.