Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ForTheLoveofDogs
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2014, 1:55 pm

Hello!

I'm considering getting a PSD. I think one could help me greatly. From helping be more aware if things going around in my environment(altering me to things I don't notice)

Some more things- I know some don't count for A PSD

Assist handler within their home.

Assist handler in places of public accommodation (e.g. grocery stores, shopping malls, public transportation, and etc.).

Remind their handler to take medication.

Wake handler for school or work.

Assist in coping with emotional overload by bringing handler into the ?here and now.?

Assisting the handler, who experiences visual or auditory hallucinations by indicating whether something is or is not present. (Not really common but they do happen

Stand behind handler to increase feelings of safety, reduce hyper-vigilance, and decrease the likelihood of the handler being startled by another person coming up behind them.
Relief from feelings of isolation.

An increased sense of well-being.

Daily structure and healthy habits.

An increased sense of security.

An increased sense of self-efficacy.

An increased sense of self-esteem.

An increased sense of purpose.

Mood improvement, and increased optimism.

A secure and uncomplicated relationship.

A dependable and predictable love, affection and nonjudgmental companionship.

Motivation to exercise.

Encouragement for social interactions.

Reduction in debilitating symptoms.

Greater access to the world.

Around the clock support.

Responding to suicidal ideation by interrupting morbid thoughts, alerting another person that help is needed, bringing the handler a phone or calling 911 on a phone equipped for the dog to use.
Reminding handler to take medication.

Interrupting self harming behavior.
Waking up handler when severe fatigue, caused either by depression or medication causes the handler to sleep through a normal alarm clock.

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2014, 6:12 pm

I am on the spectrum and qualified to train these service dogs...although I haven't in a long time. I have helped others advocate for them (psych service dogs) in a national organization, also.
You have a good list here. You should eliminate the items which may be done by modern electronic gadgets (alarm clock, for example). I also always make note that service dogs may attract "predatory people" as well as those who are curious without manners and may distract or interrupt you and they may also take it personally if you make it clear the dog is not a pet. See the vest? See the badge? See the "I am working, please do not interrupt/pet badge?"

Make a list of at least three things your dog will do for you in public. It's not legally required for you to tell others, but it can calm down a store manager very quickly.
What your disability is, is not any of their business, but it's wise to keep a Doctor's note (on prescription pad paper, signed) stating you have a disability and the service dog is part of your treatment plan. If the dog is in training, this should be made clear on the paper and on a vest badge. This can be oh so helpful with people while you introduce your dog to things like elevators. Never EVER take your service dog on an escalator. It may catch their toenails, or feet. Only one place in the US trains guide dogs for the blind to use an escalator safely...very expensive training.
Also, make sure vaccinations are always current, paperwork in vest always. Local license too. Some areas require special service dog licensing. This is against federal law, but some regions do it anyway.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 9:27 pm

its well worth going for if will have the same capacity to look after the dog when going through depressions.
autism dogs can make a huge difference to a persons life.

am absolutely disgusted that in the UK the only service dogs charity only trains autism support dogs for kids.
was at the IIIC disability expo this year and the charity was there with one of the dogs doing a demonstration,they said they trained dogs to work with people with autism;it had raised hopes but then heard it was just for kids- am not interested in one as live in a care home but think they woud have a profound effect for HFAs who live independantly to varying degrees.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Ramon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2014, 12:27 pm

My son and I both use autism service dogs. He recently posted a video on YouTube where he discusses what his service dog does for him and demonstrates some of the specific things his dog is trained to do:

Apparently I'm not allowed to post the link but you can find it on YouTube by searching for the title of the video:

Autism ACTUALLY Speaking: Autism Service Dogs

Maybe some of these would help you.

Associate Professor of Biology
Lord Fairfax Community College
173 Skirmisher Ln.
Middletown, VA 22645

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:22 pm

Ramon wrote:
My son and I both use autism service dogs. He recently posted a video on YouTube where he discusses what his service dog does for him and demonstrates some of the specific things his dog is trained to do:

Apparently I'm not allowed to post the link but you can find it on YouTube by searching for the title of the video:

Autism ACTUALLY Speaking: Autism Service Dogs

Maybe some of these would help you.

Thanks for posting about it!

I'm able to post links, so here it is to make it easier to get to it...
http://youtu.be/xXbk8cCx9vc

Tell Nathan thanks. The video he did last year about himself and Sylvia was how I first learned about autism service dogs.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:30 pm

I really like the video, I am glad you were able to find one of the few reputable programs for adults with autism!! ! A year goes by much faster than you think!

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/