does the sexism in the men only area bother you?

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 11:54 am

it really bothers me.

i worry about having to argue with these people who would call me all sorts of names just because i think people are equal and should have equal opportunities.

on the one hand, i want to be able to say things freely, and on the other hand i will probably just say nothing to avoid the nasty conflict some of those males are pretty capable of(judging only from their threads, of course).

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 12:05 pm

Well, just say it, and if you need support, send me a message. I live for arguments! (I'm a Poli-Sci/Conflict Resolution double major)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 12:13 pm

There's sexism in the Men's Forum?

- Emerson

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2007, 12:22 pm

It bothers me, but the guys who say those things have probably had problems with women and girls in the past who were more than likely NT. I try not to let the things they say get to me. Not reading their posts helps with that. Also, when they say that they hate feminists I think they are only talking about feminazi's who think that women are better than men in every way. I don't see why they would hate an actual feminist, who knows that men and women are equal.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 12:33 pm

Just get used to it Sun Rat. The sexism is rampant here and I think most females on here have expressed how they feel very unwelcome. Some of the guys on here are cool, but a certain precentage are constantly insulting women. And all that are doing the insulting by the way have little if any experience with women so its obvious where their misplaced anger comes from. I've learned to try to ignore them and to come here less often and mainly just talk with the people who are nice to me.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 12:38 pm

euphrosyne wrote:
Also, when they say that they hate feminists I think they are only talking about feminazi's who think that women are better than men in every way. I don't see why they would hate an actual feminist, who knows that men and women are equal.

why are they being ambiguous like that? they don't like negative generalizations applied to them.

maybe the ones who the most offensive are young and don't know any better.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 12:57 pm

euphrosyne wrote:
I don't see why they would hate an actual feminist, who knows that men and women are equal.

I don't think men and women are equal, as they are clearly different. But, women are people too, and should be treated as such.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 1:01 pm

ahayes wrote:
euphrosyne wrote:
I don't see why they would hate an actual feminist, who knows that men and women are equal.

I don't think men and women are equal, as they are clearly different. But, women are people too, and should be treated as such.

women and men ARE equal. and are deserving of equal treatment.

men and women are not the SAME, however.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 1:06 pm

Ticker wrote:
most females on here have expressed how they feel very unwelcome.

They have?

- Emerson

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 1:36 pm

sun_rat wrote:
women and men ARE equal.

prove it

Most of my classes have only one woman in them, the rest are men. If they men and women were equal, there would be a ~1:1 ratio of men to women.

Leporidae
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2007, 1:40 pm

It's true, there are sexist people out there. I ran into a bunch myself back when I was really young. Heck, even I was a sexist during my early years. Personally, as long as people don't go about purpousfully hurting other people becuse of sexisim/racistism, then I don't have a problem with them. Little kids (0-7) are a exception, since they don't know any better. This thread reminds me of a song I
like :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N24lA7BanS4

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 1:41 pm

Dude read the complete post: Equal, but not the same.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 1:46 pm

In classes where there is a significantly larger ratio of women to men the women tend not to do as well.

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2007, 1:49 pm

ahayes wrote:
sun_rat wrote:
women and men ARE equal.

prove it

Most of my classes have only one woman in them, the rest are men. If they men and women were equal, there would be a ~1:1 ratio of men to women.

That is a pretty poor way to judge weather one gender is better than the other. More white people go to college than any other race. Does that mean that white people are better? No, it does not.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 1:50 pm

That doesn't mean s**t about equality.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2007, 2:11 pm

women's issues forum. a topic discussing the level of discomfort caused by blatant sexism in the men's forum.
now men coming in here to defend their blatant sexism.