Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Uriel
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2014, 11:41 am

Hi all!

I created this topic so that we can share our experiences with each other regarding getting a girlfriend. I am talking about specifically getting a girlfriend here, because in most societies males are the ones who are expected to initiate, to begin to get in touch with a woman.

I have A LOT of problems with trying to start a relationship with someone for many reasons. It seems that I am very indifferent to signals people send me in conversations I am unable to tell who is interested in me and who is not, I also find social situations very confusing and demanding. It is also very problematic to become friends first with a girl because I am always afraid that I do something which is socially unacceptable, there are times when I just lock myself away because it is less painful to not have people around who may reject me because of my different behavior.

Did any of you have any success in getting into a good relationship? If yes how did you do it, what steps did you take?

Thanks. :-)

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 1:46 pm

Welcome... I've both initiated relationships and have had men initiate them with me. The ones I initiated went better for me. I'm pretty strait forward if I like someone. And I know pretty quickly if I do or don't. But I tend to stumble upon people rather than pursuing anyone who can fit the boyfriend role.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 4:00 pm

Its not a great idea to limit yourself to only people here, or only Redheads, Romanians or girl's named Rhonda. A good match is hard to find, so look everywhere. Except behind doors marked 'Don't dead open inside'.

My first step with my partner, was to secretly lob an orange at her, like a grenade, over a room divider.

I am not suggesting you go out and buy fruit. Just don't be timid. Not in this.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 4:19 pm

Beware, this thread might be perceived as sexist by some and got locked! Muhahaha.

tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 4:35 pm

The thread is not sexist, though repeating this (very wrong in North America) notion that men have to be the initiators is sexist (and, once again, totally false -- if women aren't coming on to you, it's not because they believe they can't, it's because they don't want to).

Not being able to pick up on signals is a big problem, and what might help most in that case is a trusted friend who can notice these things for you, or can explain to a woman that she really has to be very, very direct with you or you won't get it. Keep in mind, though, that if she relies on hints, flirty things, etc., and you can't pick up on these things and that's her language, you're in for a whole relationship's worth of trouble unless she can (and wants to) change her romantic communication completely. Flirting, teasing, hinting, all that stuff goes on throughout relationships and usually is part of what sustains them. And it can be a very big problem in marriages if one partner's socially adept and communicates indirectly, and the other needs not only very direct communication all the time, but still may not understand what he's supposed to do or why. Or accept that socially important things really are important for him to do. If you can find a woman who can not only be very direct with you, but can accept your troubles with social situations and not decide it's her job to "improve" you, then you've got something -- but, you know, this isn't going to be just anyone.

Is there a GRASP or other aspie group near you? It might be helpful to start with women who don't expect or engage in the language of flirtation, people who are inclined to be very straightforward. It doesn't mean magic will happen, that there'll guaranteed be someone you click with, but you might remove a lot of obstacles that way. Also, women who don't identify as aspie but are simply quiet and straightforward, the kind of woman who doesn't go out much and isn't usually in the middle of a social mob...those might be women who find you and your straightforwardness attractive.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 5:33 pm

If your going to wait for a woman to make the first move, bring a good book, lunch... in fact you better bring an overnight bag. And don't forget your medications. Enough to last maybe 20-30 years should do it. :lol:

No I am not saying it can't happen. I know it does. But I think only a small percentage of women will initiate contact. The other 80% will wait for you, except perhaps for very subtle hints, camoflauged better then a Navy Seal could do, that few men will ever notice or read correctly.

On one level its just math, doing what you can to increase your chances of finding a companion. I am just talking about the first step. You can't spend the rest of your lives throwing fruit at one another. Well... I guess technically you could. And maybe as advanced apes it might tap into some primitive instincts and feel wonderful. But I don't suggest it.

The fruit is offered... if they take a bite... perhaps love awaits. But you can kiss the paradise stuff goodbye. :o

DukeJanTheGrey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2014, 5:39 pm

The stench of desperation is a real big turn off to women. Beware and be aware.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:12 pm

one word: confidence

Uriel
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2014, 8:20 am

tarantella64 wrote:
The thread is not sexist, though repeating this (very wrong in North America) notion that men have to be the initiators is sexist (and, once again, totally false -- if women aren't coming on to you, it's not because they believe they can't, it's because they don't want to).

Not being able to pick up on signals is a big problem, and what might help most in that case is a trusted friend who can notice these things for you, or can explain to a woman that she really has to be very, very direct with you or you won't get it. Keep in mind, though, that if she relies on hints, flirty things, etc., and you can't pick up on these things and that's her language, you're in for a whole relationship's worth of trouble unless she can (and wants to) change her romantic communication completely. Flirting, teasing, hinting, all that stuff goes on throughout relationships and usually is part of what sustains them. And it can be a very big problem in marriages if one partner's socially adept and communicates indirectly, and the other needs not only very direct communication all the time, but still may not understand what he's supposed to do or why. Or accept that socially important things really are important for him to do. If you can find a woman who can not only be very direct with you, but can accept your troubles with social situations and not decide it's her job to "improve" you, then you've got something -- but, you know, this isn't going to be just anyone.

Is there a GRASP or other aspie group near you? It might be helpful to start with women who don't expect or engage in the language of flirtation, people who are inclined to be very straightforward. It doesn't mean magic will happen, that there'll guaranteed be someone you click with, but you might remove a lot of obstacles that way. Also, women who don't identify as aspie but are simply quiet and straightforward, the kind of woman who doesn't go out much and isn't usually in the middle of a social mob...those might be women who find you and your straightforwardness attractive.

Hi people, thanks for the feedback! Well, yes. I agree that I should take the first steps and looking desperate and having no self-esteem will be a turn off for women. It can be difficult to know how to initiate and with what and in what occasions, but I will try again, hopefully I won`t be chased around with a broom because I did which is percieved as rude or inappropriate. :D

The asnswer to your feedback tarantella, which I found very helpful, because you told me what kind of person to look for:
When I was diagnosed I was offered some help, I think there is some kind of aspie help group here where I live, but I decided to try to solve these difficulties alone. I was told to look for information on the net because it can also help a lot so I decided to look for information on the net and try to do something which might make this condition easier for me.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:29 am

If you feel a spark try asking if you can hug the person. Like when you're ending the visit and saying goodbye. A hug can tell you a lot about potential physical compatibility.

Azereiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2014, 8:43 am

Ann2011 wrote:
If you feel a spark try asking if you can hug the person. Like when you're ending the visit and saying goodbye. A hug can tell you a lot about potential physical compatibility.

This. This this this.

Take someone out to do something fun. It's not a date until they think it is, and you're not in a relationship until both of you say so. Go see a movie and have dinner or something, I don't care - just hang out. Alone. Then ask for a hug at the end and see what their reaction is.

Personally, I don't ever ask anyone to be in a relationship. It just happens, or it doesn't.

Uriel
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2014, 12:00 pm

The main obstacle is that in order to get a girlfriend you need to go around to get to know and speak with many people - especially females - and I have to say that I don`t really like speaking with too many people, because I find socializing very tiring and excruciating, maybe because I always have to pay attention, lest I say something not acceptable or it may be troublesome to find topics to talk about with others.

I wonder how you deal with these feelings in your everyday life. The memories coming fromm childhood bullying also drag your self-esteem down...

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

tarantella64 wrote:

Not true. I mean you are right that it's sexist to say that women should never initiate but the part in brackets that says that if they don't initiate, they're not interested is totally wrong. First of all, you've ignored that from a cultural perspective, men are expected to initiate in terms of traditional dating roles. So, in my experience at least, most of the women I've interacted with would never take the initiative in asking a guy out first and would rather wait for the men to ask them. I'm not saying that there aren't some who do but most of the ones I've interacted with would mostly consider it against the norm. Secondly, you've forgotten that people can be shy. Lot's of men are interested in dating a particular woman but do not take the initiative in asking them because they too shy and socially awkward to do so. So, even if it were more common for women to ask men out on dates, I would assume that the same would apply to them if they were shy.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

Uriel wrote:
Hi all!

I created this topic so that we can share our experiences with each other regarding getting a girlfriend. I am talking about specifically getting a girlfriend here, because in most societies males are the ones who are expected to initiate, to begin to get in touch with a woman.

I have A LOT of problems with trying to start a relationship with someone for many reasons. It seems that I am very indifferent to signals people send me in conversations I am unable to tell who is interested in me and who is not, I also find social situations very confusing and demanding. It is also very problematic to become friends first with a girl because I am always afraid that I do something which is socially unacceptable, there are times when I just lock myself away because it is less painful to not have people around who may reject me because of my different behavior.

Did any of you have any success in getting into a good relationship? If yes how did you do it, what steps did you take?

Thanks. :-)

My advice is unorthodox, but it's the only thing that worked for me: Compensate for your social flaws. This is more important today than it was 50 years ago, since the male beauty standards have changed a lot over the past decades. You need to be better than other men at the non-social aspects, i.e. you need a better education, a better body, a better wardrobe and all that. Gaining muscle isn't difficult; all that is required is time, hard work a few hours a week, and a strict diet.

Don't buy into any PUA BS. People have lost faith in this, and that's for a good reason (it objectifies both men and women). Instead, focus on learning social skills and overcoming shyness.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:01 pm

tarantella64 wrote:

Men do not always have to be the initiators, but more often than not, this is the case. I've ended up in bed with women who made the first move on me, but I see men making moves on women far more often. Also, when women do make the move, it can be difficult to tell if she's flirting with you or just being friendly.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm

Jono wrote:
tarantella64 wrote:

Not true. I mean you are right that it's sexist to say that women should never initiate but the part in brackets that says that if they don't initiate, they're not interested is totally wrong. First of all, you've ignored that from a cultural perspective, men are expected to initiate in terms of traditional dating roles. So, in my experience at least, most of the women I've interacted with would never take the initiative in asking a guy out first and would rather wait for the men to ask them. I'm not saying that there aren't some who do but most of the ones I've interacted with would mostly consider it against the norm. Secondly, you've forgotten that people can be shy. Lot's of men are interested in dating a particular woman but do not take the initiative in asking them because they too shy and socially awkward to do so. So, even if it were more common for women to ask men out on dates, I would assume that the same would apply to them if they were shy.

this may apply to the women you've interacted with, but i think if you ask around you will find that initiating romantic relationships is something a lot of women do with no trouble or fuss. in about 80% of the (admittedly not excessively many) relationships i've been in, i initiated the contact/interest. in fact, the first real boyfriend i had in high school i nabbed by using some old history we shared in a creative way: he used to live on the street running behind mine when we were children and would pick apples of our tree in the backyard and throw them at my sister and i--so when i developed a crush on him in high school, i got his attention one day between classes while passing him in the stairwell by lobbing an apple at him that had my phone number written on a leaf-shaped piece of paper i had taped to the stem (i called his name first so he would see it coming and not get hit in the face with it). i was really proud of that gesture, actually, not just because it was brave (he was much more "sought after" by the opposite sex than i was so riskier for being rejected) but also because it was clever--and darned romantic too, if i say so myself. :lol: