Do you believe in highly advanced ancient Earth civilization

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:43 am

Do you believe in the existence of highly advanced ancient Earth civilization before our times?

I mean the civilization which equaled or exceeded our civilization in terms of technology..

As a kid, I really liked the anime "Mysterious Cities of Gold " there was the story of two ancient high-tech civilization Hiva (Mu) and the Atlanteans who destroyed each other, most likely using nuclear weapons, but that has not been said clearly in the film, but was implied.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC9no3dSYds[/youtube]

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 5:53 am

No.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:06 am

Neither do I, but I like it as a concept for stories and it reminds me of Lovecraft, mostly of ''At the Mountains of Madness''

(not a native speaker)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:12 am

GGPViper wrote:
No.

Why not :) It would be COOL if it turned out that such a civilization really existed.
Archaeologist who would made ​​such a discovery would gain immortal fame as Heinrich Schliemann who discovered the city of Troy, or Howard Carter, who discovered Tutankhamen tomb.

Only with the difference that the discovery of an ancient advanced civilization outclassed all previous archaeological discoveries, it would by necessary to rewrite the history textbooks. Not to mention what it would it be important to modern science, thousands of new "old" inventions and technology, for which there was no need to pay a penny :D

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:20 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
No.

Why not:-) It would be COOL if it turned out that such a civilization really existed.

Cool ≠ true.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:23 am

GGPViper wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
No.

Why not:-) It would be COOL if it turned out that such a civilization really existed.

Cool ≠ true.

Unfortunately, that's sad truth :(

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:26 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria

Quote:
Hero (or Heron) of Alexandria (c. 10 ? 70 AD) was an ancient mathematician and engineer who was active in his native city of Alexandria, Roman Egypt. He is considered the greatest experimenter of antiquity[1] and his work is representative of the Hellenistic scientific tradition.[2]

Hero published a well recognized description of a steam-powered device called an aeolipile (sometimes called a "Hero engine"). Among his most famous inventions was a windwheel, constituting the earliest instance of wind harnessing on land.[3][4] He is said to have been a follower of the Atomists. Some of his ideas were derived from the works of Ctesibius.

Much of Hero's original writings and designs have been lost, but some of his works were preserved in Arabic manuscripts.

The ancient Roman's could have had an industrial revolution if they perfected some of the technologies they already had.

Last edited by Stannis on 01 Jun 2014, 6:39 am, edited 6 times in total.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 6:29 am

Apophis doesn't think so.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 7:48 am

Stannis wrote:

Quote:
Hero (or Heron) of Alexandria (c. 10 ? 70 AD) was an ancient mathematician and engineer who was active in his native city of Alexandria, Roman Egypt. He is considered the greatest experimenter of antiquity[1] and his work is representative of the Hellenistic scientific tradition.[2]

Hero published a well recognized description of a steam-powered device called an aeolipile (sometimes called a "Hero engine"). Among his most famous inventions was a windwheel, constituting the earliest instance of wind harnessing on land.[3][4] He is said to have been a follower of the Atomists. Some of his ideas were derived from the works of Ctesibius.

Much of Hero's original writings and designs have been lost, but some of his works were preserved in Arabic manuscripts.

The ancient Roman's could have had an industrial revolution if they perfected some of the technologies they already had.

I heard about this, I also heard that it was also about this that the Roman economy was on slavery and were treated with the invention of Heron of Alexandria seriously do not know what would happen to the slaves of Rome because they were introduced steam engine, would become redundant.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:08 am

I don't dismiss the idea that archaeologists have overlooked evidence of highly-advanced ancient civilizations. They have preconceptions and confirmation bias just like anyone else, and could disregard finding a high-tech device as contamination by grave-robbers. However, it doesn't seem especially likely.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:01 am

I believe there was a literate, sea-faring civilization that was capable of massive stone architecture which was destroyed in the sudden sea-level rise about 12,000 years ago. Archaeologists have begun discovering cities from this period in the last few decades. (Not more advanced than our own, however--just more advanced than the intervening period in which mankind had to re-discover those technologies.) Graham Hancock makes a great case for this in his book and TV series "Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilization." To be fair, though, he also has his debunkers, including a whole BBC program taking him on called "Atlantis Reborn Again". :lol:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:22 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
I believe there was a literate, sea-faring civilization that was capable of massive stone architecture which was destroyed in the sudden sea-level rise about 12,000 years ago. Archaeologists have begun discovering cities from this period in the last few decades. (Not more advanced than our own, however--just more advanced than the intervening period in which mankind had to re-discover those technologies.) Graham Hancock makes a great case for this in his book and TV series "Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilization." To be fair, though, he also has his debunkers, including a whole BBC program taking him on called "Atlantis Reborn Again". :lol:

I believe that the 'Atlantean Civilisation' was the seafaring culture that existed on the island of Santorini. It was probably no more technically advanced than any of it's contemporary cultures in Greece, Egypt, Persia, China, and Mesopotamia. --At the same time, these civilisations were fairly technically advanced in their own rights.

Then the Minoan eruption happened, and wiped out the 'Atlantean Culture' as it was replaced with a volcanic caldera.

As far as anything earlier than Mesopotamia and Ancient China, I'm quite skeptical, but I will not entirely rule out the possibility that there may have been. --If it was as tropical civilisation though, it's most likely that anything that they may have left behind may have decomposed. --A lot of tropical hardwoods approach and even exceed the structural strength of steel, except for the fact that wood as a biological material will rot away while metals can take longer to corrode, and stone artifacts generally are more durable, though they may be reduced to rubble tells.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:39 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Quote:

I heard about this, I also heard that it was also about this that the Roman economy was on slavery and were treated with the invention of Heron of Alexandria seriously do not know what would happen to the slaves of Rome because they were introduced steam engine, would become redundant.

Industrialisation would not necessarily make slaves redundant. In fact, it could even make slaves more efficient as they would be capable of even more work.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:55 am

No, there was some civilizations that seems to have risen about 14000-12000 BCE over towards India mostly along the coastline ways, then they were conquered by the early Greeks about 3400 BCE, then the ocean levels rose due to ice age melting and so the cities got submerged. 12000 BCE was about the time that the first farming took off in the area of Syria. there has been found many other smaller towns and cities along coastal ways that got submerged as well that date back to at least 8000 BCE. any and all so called high TECH was in stone working. the Clovis people of north America seems to have arrived around 17000-15000 BCE. modern humans didn't really start flourishing till after Toba (volcano) blew, which wiped out most all the Homo-Erectis species about 70,000 years ago. before farming there were mostly hunter-gatherers with now and then fishing villages.

Humans tend not to make advancements in any sciences or technologies unless their under some kind of pressure for change, early humans had it good with little competition over lands so they mostly stagnated until they started really warring with each other as their numbers grew, but that is a bit debatable since as numbers grew we also learned trade.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

Sounds like Stargate SG1 which is just good sci fi.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 2:08 pm

Nope but it would be cool if it was true.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList