Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2007, 2:20 pm

The Big Bang is under seige and is likely to collapse in the next 20-30 years. Dark matter and energy seem like a colossal FUDGE to me. See this article:

http://www.electric-cosmos.org/arp.htm

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2007, 2:22 pm

A great quote on this from Douglas Adams:

"In the beginning there was nothing. Then it blew up."

Here's an article trashing the big bang:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... xplode.htm

rabbit23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2007, 9:44 pm

jolly_magpie wrote:
A great quote on this from Douglas Adams:

"In the beginning there was nothing. Then it blew up."

Here's an article trashing the big bang:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... xplode.htm

This article bears most of the hallmarks pseudoscience. For a start it seems to lack a hypothesis which is at all testable or falsifiable. Indeed, it is interesting to see that Fred Hoyle's protege, Jay Narlikar is involved with these rather bizarre attempts to discredit the redshift & get Hoyle's steady-state universe back on track. The article (rather typically, for pseudoscience), towards the end, rather crankily talks about how the "establishment" is conspiring to shut up people whose views deviate from those of the "establishment", because the "establishment" has invested too much time and energy in the big bang. Yet it is Hoyle & Narlikar who, despite conceding defeat for a short-while in the 70's, are patching up their steady-state model, that they have spent their careers (in Hoyle's case, a 60-odd-year career) designing & embellishing.

Seems like poor old Fred is still sore because young Professor Hawking publically informed him that the quantity he was referring to converges.

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2007, 2:42 pm

Yes indeed. However, it does seem that conventional cosmology is painting itself into a corner, and fresh thinking is needed.

For example, there has been recent data from comets which contradicts theory at nearly every turn. It does not make sense to cling to ideas which contradict the observations.

rabbit23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 7:24 am

jolly_magpie wrote:
Yes indeed. However, it does seem that conventional cosmology is painting itself into a corner, and fresh thinking is needed.

For example, there has been recent data from comets which contradicts theory at nearly every turn. It does not make sense to cling to ideas which contradict the observations.

I agree, fresh thinking is always needed. I would imagine that (as a rough and utterly non-scientific estimate) 80%, maybe even 95-99% of the details of the Big Bang cosmological portrait are pretty much completely "wrong". We still don't understand why gravity happens! The standard model probably needs a good deal of work. And extragalactic astronomy/ astrocartography is probably a darn-sight less well-developed than the standard model of particle physics or indeed general relativity.

Unfortunately a lot of people in the scientific community seem to be working from personal agendas to satisfy personal vendettas; i.e. trying to find data & evidence to prove their hypotheses to be correct, as opposed to trying to fit their hypotheses around the evidence which they encounter. :(

Astilius
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2007, 1:52 pm

Kevster wrote:
Hey,

If the Big Bang theory is correct then there is a center to the Universe. So, my first question is: Why can't they infer the position in space-time of this center (or have they done this already)?

My second question is: Just after the Big Bang, could many enormous Black Holes have been formed and could these then make-up the 'missing' amount of matter/energy (Dark Energy) that is apparent in the Universe.

Take care,
Kevin

Well, there may be a centre of the Universe but we can't access it. Imagine that the Universe was the surface of a balloon - we'd live on the two dimensional surface of a three dimesnional balloon. If you blow the baloon up then there is a centre but it's in the third dimension which is inaccessable to us 2D'ers. Now add a spacial dimension and we're a three dimensional people living in a 4D Universe.
So there may be a place where the Big Bang happened but it's not visible or accessable to us.

No, the 'missing' matter isn't accounted for by black holes. We've got a good idea of how many black holes are out there. To have so many black holes that it would account for the 'missing' matter would mean a fundamental shift in the makeup of the Universe which is unaccountable via observations.
The whole Dark Matter debate is showing that we don't have a clear understanding of the Universe so there's a lot up for grabs at the moment.

Last edited by Astilius on 28 Feb 2007, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 6:07 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:
matt271 wrote:
that does not make sense.
if the big bang happened, then all the energy in the universe should make a huge sphere where the big bang is the center and the radius is the product of the age of the universe and the speed of light. the light from the big bang should be right at the very edge, and the oldest/fasting moving masses not far behind it. if u where to leave right now, and go at the speed of light towards the edge of this sphere in a straight line, the distance between you and the edge would never decrease. therefore the longer u wait to leave, the more space u cannot get to. we better get going!

That's what I was saying.

i didn't understand yours at first. now that i read it knowing you where saying the same thing as me it makes more sense.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 6:19 pm

rabbit23 wrote:
The problem, moreover, is that cosmic inflation is conceived to happen superluminally. In other words, the speed of light seems to be a speed-limit placed upon matter travelling through the universe, even massless matter such as photons and neutrinos (although if it is possible for a relativistic situation in which some matter has negative mass, then it can move faster than the speed of light), but not, seemingly a limit, on the edge of the universe travelling into the non-universe. So yes, indeed, we had better get going.

how does negative mass work? F=ma. if m was (-) then F=-|m|a and would imply that applying a force to this negative mass would accelerate it in the opposite direct of the force. So gravity would push it away from the center of the earth. If gravity was capable of pushing, and pushed all negative mass away, then wouldn't all positive mass bunch together (the universe) and all negative mass go flying out away from the universe... a bunch of solo negative masses not connected to each other? or would the gravity these negative masses emit, also be negative. then G=-G. and whats that formula again? I forget but i do remember G and m where multiplied, and divided by something squared, so the -G and -m would cancel out the (-)'s, and leave u w/ gravity just like our own universe. Then maybe their is another entire universe that has (-) everything to our universe, but as a system works the same.
And whats negative mass have to do w/ the speed of light? <thinks...> As you accelerate towards the speed of light, mass increases and time decreases (im pretty sure). so a negative mass increasing, would decrease in magnitude, get "lighter". the lighter a mass, the faster it can accelerate with the same force, so maybe you could use that to accelerate to a velocity faster then the speed of light.

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2007, 12:37 am

Bang on about personal agendas in science. Now that $$ for science is scarce, people will do anything to grab a share, of telescope time, tenure, research grants etc.

Just think of how much further along we would be if people would "stick to the facts". I bet there are many stories of people with good ideas who weren't able to express them and get noticed at the right time.

Of course there are lots of cranks, as always, it is hard to tell the difference sometimes...! !

rabbit23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2007, 6:56 am

matt271 wrote:
And whats negative mass have to do w/ the speed of light? <thinks...> As you accelerate towards the speed of light, mass increases and time decreases (im pretty sure). so a negative mass increasing, would decrease in magnitude, get "lighter". the lighter a mass, the faster it can accelerate with the same force, so maybe you could use that to accelerate to a velocity faster then the speed of light.

That is the idea :D

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 2:02 am

keyblade wrote:
your talking a lot about gravity so I might as well tell you ....the galaxies are moving away from the center of the universe and they are speeding up the reason why they are speeding up has to do with some sort of energy that is spread equaly throughout the universe I cant remember what kind of energy though the same force which is speeding up galaxies may someday pull planets out of orbit then they will pull atoms away from eachother and finaly pull atoms apart
I found out most of this from reading scientific american
I could say A LOT more but Im a somewhat slow typer

type it anyways i am interested in this.
so far i gathered that some fundamental force is equally spread out across the universe and will someday pull every peace of matter, broken down to the subatomic level, apart and spread it over the entire universe equally? i picture this almost like graph paper.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 6:23 pm

keyblade wrote:
matt271 wrote:
keyblade wrote:
your talking a lot about gravity so I might as well tell you ....the galaxies are moving away from the center of the universe and they are speeding up the reason why they are speeding up has to do with some sort of energy that is spread equaly throughout the universe I cant remember what kind of energy though the same force which is speeding up galaxies may someday pull planets out of orbit then they will pull atoms away from eachother and finaly pull atoms apart
I found out most of this from reading scientific american
I could say A LOT more but Im a somewhat slow typer

type it anyways i am interested in this.
so far i gathered that some fundamental force is equally spread out across the universe and will someday pull every peace of matter, broken down to the subatomic level, apart and spread it over the entire universe equally? i picture this almost like graph paper.

I think I threw the magazine away but ill tell you what little I can remember most of it will be on very closely related subjects such as gravity
gravity is possibly the weakest force out there and also one of the strongest take this for example gravity is strong enough to keep the stars orbiting around the supermassive black hole at the center of each galaxy yet it is to weak to make a refrigerator magnet fall to the floor the reason why it does this has something to do with it leaking from dimensions you may thought that there were 3dimensions well actualy there are 11dimensions I dont know what many of them are though anyways gravity is stronger in some dimensions than in others im not sure if scientists know why though these are fairly new discoverys and probably wont be in many text books for a few years though hope thats helpful cause its all i can remember at the time

i learned about gravity in physics. the reason gravity wont make a magnet fell off ur fridge is because ur magnet has so little mass, so it is very light.
a plant orbiting a star, both are SOOOOOOOO massive (the star being unbelievably big compared to the planet, witch is also unbelievably big). so the gravity pulling the 2 together is proportional to the product of their masses.
F=GmM/R^2 so the difference in force the sun has on you, and the earth would be by a factor of the ratio between your mass and your earths mass. thats why the suns gravity cant lift you off the surface of the earth.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 12:38 am

the force of gravity between two bodies is: F=GmM/R^2
force = the gravitational constant of the universe, times the mass of one body, times the mass of the other body, divided by the distance between them, squared.
this means the bigger the two bodies are, the stronger the gravity. the farther away they are, the weaker the gravity.
so, in simple terms:
the earth is big. the sun is big. the gravity between them is strong.
the earth is big, but a fridge magnet is small. the gravity between them is week.

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Mar 2007, 3:13 pm

I posit that the curvature of space is straightening out, causing the universe to expand. Originally, the curvature was very tight; you didn't have to go very far in a straight line to end up back where you started. With all matter/energy affecting all other matter/energy including itself, gravity was a negligible influence. Black holes were impossible. As the curvature opened up, gravity gradually became more influential, but matter/energy was still dispersing.

As the curvature opened up, gravity started causing macro-stranding in the matter/energy. We still see this in strings of galactic clusters. Black holes were still impossible due to the proximity of all other matter/energy.

As the curvature got straight enough, matter/energy became sparse enough that gravity became king in areas, allowing for black holes. At this point, the distance between where you are and where you are at the other end of the universe is increasing faster than the speed of light. Thus the most distant galaxies appear to be going incredibly fast away from us in all directions.

That's the relative view of everyone else in this universe, too. And God is the god of them all.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 4:16 pm

The Universe is less than a speck of dust, beyond is infinate nothing.

Once, fifteen billion years ago, all was nothing.

Nothing becoming the Universe is not a natural process.

Since it appeared the Universe has followed a natural order.

All can be explained by known forces.

for ten billion years DNA could not have existed,

the first problem was the materials did not exist,

the second problem, no place it could survive,

DNA can not be formed by random means,

It must all exist at once to replicate,

we are all of one DNA,

It is less than five billion years old.

It could not be created by a natural process.

Ten billion years to produce matter where live could survive,

then life created, to grow and fill many places.

The ground was prepared, then seed planted.

Both science and religion want worship without question,

I question the Universe, it tells me as much as I can understand.

It is everything that exists, it created me,

I can observe and enjoy, that is my purpose,

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:39 pm

Inventor wrote:
The Universe is less than a speck of dust, beyond is infinate nothing.

infinate nothing eh. just like there is an infinate amount of dancing raccoons on ur head right now?

Inventor wrote:
Once, fifteen billion years ago, all was nothing.

How? Why do u think this? Why could there not have been all the mass/energy in the universe, in a dif form?

Inventor wrote:
Nothing becoming the Universe is not a natural process.

Why is it a not natural process?? What makes it so not natural?? Maybe its simply physics.

Inventor wrote:
Since it appeared the Universe has followed a natural order.

natural order? u mean the laws of nature where applied to every bit of the universe? meaning no miracles and whatnot?

Inventor wrote:
All can be explained by known forces.

But not all has been explained by known forces. Some physicists say there are more forces when we have measured.

Inventor wrote:
for ten billion years DNA could not have existed,

Why not?

Inventor wrote:
the first problem was the materials did not exist,

u mean the materials DNA is made of, or mass in general? Mass is just another form of potential energy.

Inventor wrote:
the second problem, no place it could survive,

No place DNA could survive? DNA does not live eh.

Inventor wrote:
DNA can not be formed by random means,

Why not? It could be a 1/100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 chance everything so happened to be in the right place at the right time to make the first DNA.

Inventor wrote:
It must all exist at once to replicate,

Or maybe the first, randomly generated DNA, was partly replicated, and then that partly replicated, mutations and whatnot, and then the basic common ground of all dif types of life where created.

Inventor wrote:
we are all of one DNA,

U sure about that?

Inventor wrote:
It is less than five billion years old.

Why? DNA could have existed in previous run of the universe after a previous 'big bang'. assuming the universe collapses on itself, and then another 'big bang' happens.

Inventor wrote:
It could not be created by a natural process.

WHY???? what reason do u have to think this? what number of possibilities do u have to ignore to say this?

Inventor wrote:
Ten billion years to produce matter where live could survive,

u mean to produce planets?? There are a lot of different theories about this.

Inventor wrote:
then life created, to grow and fill many places.

Many planets, or many places on Earth??

Inventor wrote:
The ground was prepared, then seed planted.

So some1 magically put down soil and planted trees?

Inventor wrote:
Both science and religion want worship without question,

No. science says "question everything." religion says "believe me, or u will die a firey death and live(while dead) in eternal suffering"

Inventor wrote:
I question the Universe, it tells me as much as I can understand.

I agree with that. We can only understand so much. I think it was the Greeks who believed that humans where capible of understanding everything, it was just a matter of figuring it out. The reason i don't believe that is, how could a blind man discover colour? He wouldn't even know to 'look' for it, well unless some1 told him. But there is no1 to tell us.

Inventor wrote:
It is everything that exists, it created me,

Like the universe is everything, and u r just 1 of many products of the universe?? I guess that makes sense.

Inventor wrote:
I can observe and enjoy, that is my purpose,

Why do u have to have a purpose? What makes out ability to observe and enjoy important to anything but ourselves?

:D