Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Penandinkmarie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2009
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 171

06 Jun 2014, 2:55 am

So I studied TV/Film but I'm a total introvert. I love being behind the scenes but then I crave being in front of the camera. I've done some student films but nothing that really counts. Anyway, point is, I got a job in journalism and now I've been doing that for almost a decade, but I'm sick of it, and I am dying for a career change. I really want to go into part time acting at least. I just signed up for an acting workshop for next week, but I don't know if I can get anywhere with it.

Although, it seems like every few months I get the urge to be someone different. I wanted to be an anthropologist after watching Bones. I wanted to be an actress dozens of times after watching really good movies or just dreaming about it. I've wanted to be a chef, a painter, a graphic designer, a singer, and the list goes on?..really?..I change my mind every few weeks/days/months and I honestly don't know what the hell I want. All I know is that I want to be happy in my job, love my job and do it WELL.

Anyone have this problem? How do you manage?



BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 352

06 Jun 2014, 3:07 am

I do have the problem and not well.

When I was younger I had a hard time deciding on a career because I didn't know I had an ASD and had a hard time coping with (mostly nasty) coworkers. How can I love any career if I have to deal with them? I have wanted to work on a stage too but the problem is, I did not do in high school (I was afraid to ask) and most people in college and community theatre had that experience. I would like to be a building maintainence person but now, with my advanced age, employers don't think I can handle that. What I am saying is that the ASD may be influencing your career choices, but you are young and will soon find something you like. But one word of advice: DO NOT be a Chef - The food industry is a terrible place for an autistic, too chaotic, rude, and noisy.



Penandinkmarie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2009
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 171

06 Jun 2014, 3:46 am

BobinPgh wrote:
But one word of advice: DO NOT be a Chef - The food industry is a terrible place for an autistic, too chaotic, rude, and noisy.


Yeah?.actually I really loved the idea of being a chef at a hotel or at a fine dining restaurant but then that's just my idealization I guess. I'd probably get stuck at Chili's or something and then want to quit. >_< But can you imagine just being a pastry chef?? Like?.doing your work quietly in a really nice kitchen? Sigh?.



MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Aug 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 903
Location: Missouri

06 Jun 2014, 8:30 pm

Penandinkmarie wrote:
BobinPgh wrote:
But one word of advice: DO NOT be a Chef - The food industry is a terrible place for an autistic, too chaotic, rude, and noisy.


Yeah?.actually I really loved the idea of being a chef at a hotel or at a fine dining restaurant but then that's just my idealization I guess. I'd probably get stuck at Chili's or something and then want to quit. >_< But can you imagine just being a pastry chef?? Like?.doing your work quietly in a really nice kitchen? Sigh?.
lol I thought of that back in the day, but, my time as a prep cook at Cracker Barrel cured me of it. I just cook gourmet meals at home on the weekend. It's very soothing, more than working in a commercial kitchen.



PrincessMR1899
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 165

07 Jun 2014, 10:23 am

MissDorkness wrote:
Penandinkmarie wrote:
BobinPgh wrote:
But one word of advice: DO NOT be a Chef - The food industry is a terrible place for an autistic, too chaotic, rude, and noisy.


Yeah?.actually I really loved the idea of being a chef at a hotel or at a fine dining restaurant but then that's just my idealization I guess. I'd probably get stuck at Chili's or something and then want to quit. >_< But can you imagine just being a pastry chef?? Like?.doing your work quietly in a really nice kitchen? Sigh?.
lol I thought of that back in the day, but, my time as a prep cook at Cracker Barrel cured me of it. I just cook gourmet meals at home on the weekend. It's very soothing, more than working in a commercial kitchen.


Actually just the thought of working with food and not with people was what drew me to it?.but then yeah you have to be in a kitchen with people screaming at you to hurry up etc?..so no. :(