orange and phones4u selling contracts to under 18's

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 9:18 am

my sister order an iPhone 5s on contract last year from phones4u and was able to pick it up with no age checks or id checks.

So we contacted phones4u who promised an investigation but went silent after 2 weeks.

We have also contacted the orange department of EE and they say they will investigate but don't.

Is they anything i can do?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 10:20 am

(Thread moved from Autism discussion to Random)

Orange customer service stinks. It is the worse customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. Good luck trying to get a response from them!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 11:04 am

Orange promised me after this free trial of something expired, I would not be charged. They did charge me and I was annoyed enough that I cancelled the contract. I have never been with Orange/EE since, and never will. I think this was about 10 years ago when I was more stupid with this sort of thing, but still...he outright lied to me! And yes, I know they all lie now...and yes, I know the internet gives you far better deals...

And yeh, I'm weary of anything attached to something I buy that has a free trial. I make sure to get rid of it. I'm weary of signing up to any contract. Monthly renewal contracts are a great idea.

I would certainly keep on at them about cancelling that contract at the very least, if that's what you wish to do. Surely it would be invalidated as she is underage.

Maybe the Citizens Advice Bureau could help you, if you're in the UK.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:20 pm

Under English law someone under eighteen CANNOT sign a legally binding contract so your sister is free to walk away from the contract anytime she wants. What I don't know is the legal position regarding the phone itself, to avoid theft charges she may have to hand it back.

Disclaimer:
This is NOT legal advice, consult a solicitor.