Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

aspie_comic_nerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2014, 1:29 am

Who would be better at surviving the apocalypse Autistic people or NT's?

I think people with ASD would fair slighty better than NT's because we have good technical skills and we're also good at surviving on our own. Avoiding people and being independent could give us an advantage over everyone. If we were able to engineer ways of obtaining basic needs and go undetected we could survive.

Most NT's would form small 'chicks' because they would feel safer being in a small group, strength in numbers. They would probably go out in groups and hunt and scavenge the wasteland. They could spread themselves out and divide the work load. The people with AS would probably have to worker harder and would have to be more protective of their resources and location.

What are your thoughts on this.

PS - This thread isn't when dooms day will happen, it's about what will happen. I'm also not talking about what type of apocalypse could happen, it could be any disaster. I also believe that the apocalypse may happen within my lifetime.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 1:42 am

My opinion is that it is likely everybody would stick together (including those with AS).

Last edited by Norny on 08 Jun 2014, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 2:47 am

The point of an apocalypse; is that everybody dies.

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 2:49 am

This question is asked in nearly every circle, and the Squid has just two questions... Do you really WANT to survive the apocalypse? And what does "Survive" actually mean? Can you honestly say too many people today know how to provide food for themselves on a regular basis, and not tear each other apart over "Who gets to sleep next to Alice"? Surviving the apocalypse means dealing with starvation, disease, famine, looters, violence and misery. It's a fun idea on paper, but in reality? It's all of these on a daily basis, and there is NO end to it. Atleast not in your lifetime. It would take several generations to build ourselves back to at least a shadow of our former selves.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2014, 3:08 am

SquidinHostBody wrote:
This question is asked in nearly every circle, and the Squid has just two questions... Do you really WANT to survive the apocalypse? And what does "Survive" actually mean? Can you honestly say too many people today know how to provide food for themselves on a regular basis, and not tear each other apart over "Who gets to sleep next to Alice"? Surviving the apocalypse means dealing with starvation, disease, famine, looters, violence and misery. It's a fun idea on paper, but in reality? It's all of these on a daily basis, and there is NO end to it. Atleast not in your lifetime. It would take several generations to build ourselves back to at least a shadow of our former selves.

Om nom squid...

Without computers, autistic people would be in trouble. We'd stick with NTs, but be at risk of being rejected. Quite frankly, one person agriculture is too hard. Also, without modern medicine we'd get sick a lot more (though sanitation will mean that it won't be as bad as pre-Pasteur), and a lone person can't support themselves when they are sick.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2014, 3:44 am

Even though we Aspies hate change, but when confronted with it, or forced into that situation, I find that we are very good at adapting to our new circumstances (after throwing a little hissy-fit about having to do so, of course).

At the moment, I find myself homeless...well, relegated to my brother's upstairs music studio and I do own a run-down shed on a small block of land in the scrub, kms away from anywhere with no sewer, water, electricity etc (which I have been trying to sell, unsuccessfully without letting it go for much less than it's worth).

One thing that's actually 'usable' though is the small plot of land...if I wanted to, I could grow veggies and maybe run a few chickens and I know how to make bread and such.

If I had to live on/off the land and go out hunting, fishing and that, I could do it (I was taught).

Aspies sufferers tend to be more resourceful and flexible than NT's (I am always finding little things that can fix other broken things).

I liked the way people lived back in the 'old days', but doing it alone isn't any fun, but if an apocalypse came, if everybody lost all their money, wealth and possessions, I could survive, as I have been gradually decreasing all my possessions and attachments to them for years and know how to live out of a suitcase if I had to survive.

If there were zombies after it....maybe different story then. :p

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 9:20 am

SquidinHostBody wrote:

It sounds like the Squid has personal experience in such matters...on his home planet perhaps?

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm

The Squid is from Territus Celopitae IV. It was once a beautiful ocean world. We abused it, much like the earthlings do. When the water dried up, life was harsh. Gangs of crab and lobster swept across the wasteland "Pinching" all of the remaining water, and trod on anyone who stood in their way. The Squid and a few others managed to repair an intergalactic transportation pad and used it to relocate here. Enjoy what you earthlings have. It may not be around forever. Think of the crabs in your sleep. :cry:

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm

I could live without technology, but not without my music. I would go insane, probably literally. Wouldn't be pretty.

Of course we could all ban together and make creative musical instruments out of the rubble around us and start a band and become the first music heroes of the NEW WORLD. Yeah. We could do that.

And I'm sure some opera singers would survive (Greg Cav I don't want to hear your everybody dies theory, the opera singers will live)! :D

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:23 pm

I'm sorry but interpersonal skills are a must to survive the apocalypse, I mean take the bar scene from The Walking Dead...most aspies wouldn't be able to detect the criminal motives behind those thugs, Rick stared them straight in the eyes (our mortal weakness) read their body language, and acted swiftly in the nick of time...the rest is history.

An aspie would have died in that episode, the post-apocalypse would be filled with those sort of scenarios. Meaning lots of dead aspies that couldn't read the falseness in peoples body language!

So I'm sorry but...we'd be the first to go. :P

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:26 pm

Klowglas wrote:
I'm sorry but interpersonal skills are a must to survive the apocalypse, I mean take the bar scene from The Walking Dead...most aspies wouldn't be able to detect the criminal motives behind those thugs, Rick stared them straight in the eyes (our mortal weakness) read their body language, and acted swiftly in the nick of time...the rest is history.

An aspie would have died in that episode, the post-apocalypse would be filled with those sort of scenarios. Meaning lots of dead aspies that couldn't read the falseness in peoples body language!

So I'm sorry but...we'd be the first to go. :P

But if it's like The Stand, then you can just hang out and have all the leftover houses and all the stuff from deserted stores and you never have to even meet another person. Those ding dongs got into trouble because they went looking for more people. Aspies would just look around and go, YEAH, this is the life.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 1:08 am

I would hate being totally alone. I am a 'social" social mifit.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 1:38 am

Ultimately, I think NTs would actually fare better. Why? They're wired to socialize and work with one another. Socialization and sticking together just comes naturally to them, whereas for us, it's the sort of thing we struggle with because it doesn't come to us naturally; we have to learn it. In a doomsday scenario where there are few survivors, most people, aspie or NT, won't be able to survive on their own, and will have to depend on others for support. NTs are generally better at getting along and working with other people.

On the flipside of things, an aspie with decent survival skills and knowledge may be better off surviving on their own than an NT with the same skills and knowledge in the same situation. The very "social instinct" that makes an NT better at surviving in group situations would likely backfire against them if they were forced to be alone. Aspies typically don't have the same drive to socialize, and as such we'd be better equipped to go it alone.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 7:42 am

By myself I could survive for quite some time. With other people I would not last long.

I've talked with my friend about this, and we figured because I'd be to strict and harsh with people in a PA environment that they'd mutiny and do away with me. By myself, all I have to worry about is not breaking a leg or anything like that and I'm good to go.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2014, 8:04 am

How could an aspie seriously survive in a post-apocalyptic world when we barely are able to cope in full-fledged civilization?

I think the answer is pretty obvious, post-apocalyptic-romanticism put aside.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 1:14 pm

I don't think you can call it, we would probably both suffer through the same problems and would all have to work together to find order and to rebuild and survive

perhaps though the problems with adapting to change might cause problems, if you suddenly found your whole world turned upside down, but I think everyone would feel that way