Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cooler8625
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2014, 4:08 pm

This has really been bugging me and I hope someone knows the answer. I went to public school from 1965-1977. What, if any, resources did they have that could have made a difference earlier in my life? Could I have been helped in some way before now?
I am from Georgia so if anyone knows anything please reply.

My school years were pure hell. Kids made fun of me, pushed me around, stole my books, and called me ret*d. At graduation, though, I evened the score by graduating in the top 5 of my class magna cum laude. I still have no desire to see my classmates because, unlike other kids, I did not form any lasting friendships. I was never part of a group--I never fit in anywhere and today I still don't belong.

My parents tried to get me to take part in extracurricular activities but I did not want to--it would just be more abuse. I couldn't talk to anyone because no one understood. I believe the counselors, staff, and teachers knew that I was different, but did not know what to do since I was an honor student. When I did not want to join anything, my parents told me to suit myself.

If someone has any insight on what, if anything, could have been done, please let me know. I was in the Georgia public school system.

Last edited by cooler8625 on 11 Jun 2014, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2014, 5:04 pm

you could have been put in an institution where you would have your freedom revoked and your brain destroyed by drugs. The hell you endured was probably the best thing available back then.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 12:47 am

Nothing could have been done. Nobody knew anything about higher or moderate functioning autism back then. Autistics were not considered real humans but "frozen people","trance children", "mental defectives", "mental cripples" with no emotions who looked at other people as objects.

Autism research papers 1940's-1970's
Severe Trigger warning
http://neurodiversity.com/library_index.html

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 8:48 am

I can relate. Went to High School in 80-85.
'
Had to be the worst years of my life. Wouldn't relive it for all the money in the world.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2014, 6:46 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
'
Had to be the worst years of my life. Wouldn't relive it for all the money in the world.

In a way I envy you, because my entire education from K-12 and initially college were an absolute nightmare. I'd love to be a kid again and not have the worries that come along with being an adult, but as soon as I think about the torture that was school, I have second thoughts.

cooler8625
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2014, 7:23 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
'

I second that wholeheartedly.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm

...More downbeat :cry:.........

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 7:42 am

...On Sept. 21 , 1980 , I was commited and stuffed full of drugs (Thorazine , Mellaril) , and spent my 21st birthday in a state mental hospital :cry: Happy maturity day to me :cry: . Literally I wasn't it there long (I still remember my parents ` who were the ones who put me (my mother was an alchoholic in particular and maybe SHE wanted the " rest " of a bin ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!) away) reporting a shrink saying about me " He isn't fit to do anything but be on a back ward the rest of his life " !
I still got committed a lot after that in the 80s and 90s since I'd been committed once already , obviously , I should be committed again :cry: .
I lived in one of two US states where it is , legally speaking , esier to commit someone involuntarily against the other 48 , if only :cry: ...

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 7:44 am

...They s (Whoever " They " are :-( .) " " ' If only ' are the saddest words in the English language " . :cry: