Autism Speaks & Google Harness ?Cloud? for Genomic....

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2014, 9:11 am

Breakthroughs

Quote:
Autism Speaks 10,000 Genomes Program will use Google Cloud to accelerate advances in autism diagnosis, subtyping and treatment

Autism Speaks and Google are collaborating to transform genomic research on autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Autism Speaks will use the Google Cloud Platform to address the challenges of managing, analyzing and disseminating the world?s largest library of genomic information on individuals with autism and their family members. This library is being established by the Autism Speaks Ten Thousand Genomes Program (AUT10K).

The collaboration promises to advance breakthroughs in the understanding, diagnosis, subtyping and personalized treatment of autism, says Autism Speaks Chief Science Officer Rob Ring.

"The AUT10K program holds the potential to radically transform our understanding of autism and redefine the future of medical care for those affected by the disorder,? he explains. ?Working with Google is a game-changer in this story.?

Autism Speaks & Google Harness ?Cloud? for Genomic Breakthroughs(click)

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 11:13 am

It sounds promising to me.

Sequencing the whole genomes of 10,000 individuals in families affected by autism and cross-referenced with anonymous behavioural and medical info on them and google cloud can make analyzing, storing and accessing that info easy. It should yield some interesting discoveries.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

Since it's Autism $peaks, I'm immediately suspicious:

They are a bloated, top-down, heavy bureaucracy.

They are a parents organization. A parent with a child newly diagnosed with a child on the spectrum, hope upon hope wants their child to be normal above all else. This is an entirely understandable and human reaction on the part of the parent. A doctor, or family member, or friend of the family can communicate through words, hugs, and actions that they will be with the parent, and in due time respectfully communicate the idea that the child can be the best version of himself or herself, should embrace life and have a variety of good versions of himself or herself, should and can continue developing on his or her own terms, as well as long shot possibilities of cure.

I view 'cure' like I might view going cyborg, as being an individual choice. and realize that's kind of a cop-out, sorry

I wish Autism Speaks, or pretty much any other group, spent most of its effort on teaching sign language, good workarounds to sensory issues, and other everyday quality of life issues.

==============

Now, in fairness, I think Autism Speaks now does have one member of its board who is on the Spectrum. That's a start. We need a lot more than that.

Our long plan should be building our own Spectrum Rights organizations. If we can improve Autism $peaks along the way, so be it, but we shouldn't count on that.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:05 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Now, in fairness, I think Autism Speaks now does have one member of its board who is on the Spectrum. That's a start. We need a lot more than that.
John Elder Robison? Not anymore. He resigned. There's some info online, including his resignation letter to Liz Feld (I think).

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Drifter
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2014, 5:21 pm

MathGirl wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
John Elder Robison? Not anymore. He resigned. There's some info online, including his resignation letter to Liz Feld (I think).

http://jerobison.blogspot.ca/2013/11/i- ... peaks.html

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 12:35 am

A kick ass essay and letter! Good for John. :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 1:07 am

Quote:
http://jerobison.blogspot.ca/2013/11/i- ... s.html?m=1

'  .  .  .  I celebrate the gifts autism brings us, and I have discussed at length the emerging realization that autism ? as a neurological difference ? confers both gift and disability on everyone it touches.  It?s the fire the moves humanity forward, while simultaneously being a fire that can burn us individuals as we try to make our way.

'Many autistic people are aware of this dichotomy.  Some of us feel ?totally disabled? and others feel ?totally gifted.?  Most of us ? I?d venture to say ? feel both ways, at different times, depending on what we?re doing at that particular moment.

'Consequently, I support the idea of changing society to make it more accommodating for people who are different.  I also support the idea of developing therapies, treatments, and tools to relieve suffering and disability from both autism and the conditions that accompany it for some people.  I know how hard life is for some on the spectrum, but I also see the gifts other autistics bring.  Both are touched by autism, and it's part and parcel of who we are.  That's why we face such a difficult challenge, to keep the gifts while relieving the suffering.  It's immeasurably harder than simple disease fighting.  .  .  '

I agree with all of this.  Being on the Spectrum is both a difference and a disability, and in wonderfully unpredictable ways, a gift as well.

And I want to see society more open to people who are different in all kinds of ways.  And I'm open to activism when it feels right.