Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 4:11 am

Before I joined WP and up to just a couple months ago I had never heard the term "flamebait. I have been online since around 95 and it was only a couple years ago that I heard the term "trolling" as applied to internet. I had to have it explained to me as well. As far as forums go, believe it ir not, I a, fairly virgin and naive. Urban dictionary describes flamebait as someone who does not necessarily know about or care about the topic at hand but is merely trying to start an argument. I keep getting accused of flamebaiting (among other things)

It is not my intention to argue or debate, certainly not to instigate trouble. I don't get any joy out of arguing about things that have meaning to me, and I wouldn't be posting things if they were not important to me, not because I want to hurt anyone or make anyone uncomfortable. I feel like crap when I do that even by mistake, when my emotions fly off. It is not in my nature to be nasty to anyone. I hate seeing human beings suffer. Iwant people to care about and help each other. I dont like all this gun flame discussion. I am just weary of people having lives torn apart by someone running around irresponsibly firing a weapon. I don't like people being hungry and sick and impoverished but I can't see a resolution coming about by insulting them, calling them moochers, takers, etc That is what I fight about. It isnt necessary to degrade other human beings to make a point. It isn't necessary for Limbaugh to call Sandra Fluke a "slut". That rhetoric is what I would call "flamebaiting." I dont think we need to talk to each other with this tome in order to get things dome

I know I allow myself to get dragged into the moat and I start responding in kind, which is uncharacteristic of me.

This is as close as I will come to an apology.

I just want a peaceful, harmonious society. What people would refer to as a "Utopia>"

Idealistic, maybe, but it is my priority. I feel I exist in a Utopia now. I just wish the rest of the world could join me. There is no hatred here. Only sadness and misunderstanding.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2014, 9:06 am

Hi there.

I'm a veteran of the internet, cutting my teeth on kids gaming sites, so I can help out.

There are two types of 'trolling'.

The first is when one (or more) people on a forum follow you around from thread to thread, disagreeing with you just for the sake of it, flaming you and trying to discredit you in the eyes of others, seeking to get a 'rise' out of you.

The other type of 'trolling' is when somebody makes up a 'sympathy story' as a lie just to get others to believe it and fall for it and trick them into believing their sob story is true (called 'drama').

If you fall for it, you become 'flamebait', because everybody can see you are being tricked or 'trolled', but you can't see it (it's very difficult to tell sometimes). It's like forced naivite.

'Flamebait' means a pathetic person who has 'kick me' pinned to their back and others trick them into being all 'serious' before stating 'you're only being trolled lmfao'.

Also, if a person who doesn't know anything goes onto a forum and starts to tell everybody how to run it...'flamebait'.

'Flamebait' means a person who doesn't need any excuse to be abused, but provides many anyway.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 6:01 pm

You're not a troll or "flamer" or "flamebait". Just ignore all that nonsense.

It's usually the trolls who accuse others of trolling or flaming or whatever nonsense. There are a couple trolls on here (in my mind) but they never get banned because they don't (usually) explicitly break the rules. I don't see any malice on your part so don't worry about it

It's all really dumb.

Don't apologize.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 1:09 am

Many of the people who accuse you of trolling are brainwashed ideologues. You should regard their disapproval as a sign that you might be on the right track :lol:

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 1:18 am

I am learning to just ignore them. I know who they are and I can see their little icons and just roll my eyeballs right by them as if they don't exist.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 2:52 pm

khaoz wrote:
I am learning to just ignore them. I know who they are and I can see their little icons and just roll my eyeballs right by them as if they don't exist.

Best response is to ignore, especially if you are personally attacked. A lot of levity is given in the PPR forum for better or worst. Personal attacks are allowed as I've noticed.

I really hate some of the posters here and I'm sure they hate me as well. Since most people automatically ignore them, it's sometimes easy to get the false impression that they have the majority support. This isn't necessarily true. Just ignore or you'll end up digging yourself in a hole.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 3:00 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
khaoz wrote:

Best response is to ignore, especially if you are personally attacked. A lot of levity is given in the PPR forum for better or worst. Personal attacks are allowed as I've noticed.

I really hate some of the posters here and I'm sure they hate me as well. Since most people automatically ignore them, it's sometimes easy to get the false impression that they have the majority support. This isn't necessarily true. Just ignore or you'll end up digging yourself in a hole.

I have noticed levity being given to certain people and I have been accused of attacking people when I have not done so. It is how people perceive the world. Irrelevant anyway.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 4:05 pm

My observation:

Generally, your threads are a link, and a simple comment like "idiot". You don't seem to have your own intellectual ideas about many of these topics you post, rather you appear to post them because they fit your ideology. So, when a member asks you a question, or challenges your reasoning to make such a conclusion, then likely you feel attacked, because you appear to have no reasoning other than to state your ideology.

You may think guns are bad, but why are guns bad ? What would changes to gun laws do that the numerous other changes to gun laws haven't done ? You may think socialized medicine is better, but why is it better? Why is the present government run health care not good, but you think more of it is better ?

In the recent "health care studies" thread, you seemed unable to explain why more government run health care would affect a change over all the health care the government already manages. On another thread, I pointed out that you were not articulating science properly, and you instantly dismissed me as "religious". However, I am not "religious". You dismissed me on the health care thread too as "a squirrel with no life experience". I expect you dismiss people , because of this perceived feeling of being attacked which originates from you not having spent hundreds of hours before hand learning about these topics.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2014, 1:08 pm

When faced with an 'annoying troll' I weigh up my options on the best way to deal with it...and there are quite a few, depending on the situation and my general mood at the time (I just like playing around with them when very bored sometimes):

1. Ignoring them - even if I have to put them on my 'ignore list' to do so. Short and sweet. How do you kill a troll? you don't feed it. Don't give it any attention....done.

2. Picking and nagging them on their grammar and sentence structure constantly. Oh the joy I get in responding to; 'your an idiot'...the joy that makes other people just laugh at them through my fooling around...usually with a 'pwned' or 'rekt'.

3. Playing the 'let's see how fast I can get them banned' game. Usually, this involves non-abusive and impersonal provocation (so you don't get banned yourself in the process), consisting of one-liners that egg the troll on to flame you even more, before you hit the 'report' button...like feed the troll, but hide poison in his food.

4. Know more about the subject matter than the troll does and contradict every bit of his 'bulls***' with cold, hard, logic, statistics and fact.

Don't get annoyed or upset, just give link after link saying 'you are incorrect'.

5. Fogging them out or just agreeing with them for the sake of pissing them off...'yeah, I'm an idiot, you're an idiot, we all are idiots...next criticism?' *yawn*

So, it depends if I am in the mood to play with them or just kill them.

Suffice to say, trolls have all 'got the word' and they all usually avoid me now.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 1:39 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:
When faced with an 'annoying troll' I weigh up my options on the best way to deal with it...and there are quite a few, depending on the situation and my general mood at the time (I just like playing around with them when very bored sometimes):

1. Ignoring them - even if I have to put them on my 'ignore list' to do so. Short and sweet. How do you kill a troll? you don't feed it. Don't give it any attention....done.

2. Picking and nagging them on their grammar and sentence structure constantly. Oh the joy I get in responding to; 'your an idiot'...the joy that makes other people just laugh at them through my fooling around...usually with a 'pwned' or 'rekt'.

3. Playing the 'let's see how fast I can get them banned' game. Usually, this involves non-abusive and impersonal provocation (so you don't get banned yourself in the process), consisting of one-liners that egg the troll on to flame you even more, before you hit the 'report' button...like feed the troll, but hide poison in his food.

4. Know more about the subject matter than the troll does and contradict every bit of his 'bulls***' with cold, hard, logic, statistics and fact.

Don't get annoyed or upset, just give link after link saying 'you are incorrect'.

5. Fogging them out or just agreeing with them for the sake of pissing them off...'yeah, I'm an idiot, you're an idiot, we all are idiots...next criticism?' *yawn*

Suffice to say, trolls have all 'got the word' and they all usually avoid me now.

That all sounds...rather...trollish.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 1:48 pm

Flame bait is simple its just like setting a mouse trap, mouse gets the cheese and snap! Only on the internet its to make a post to get the person mad or frustrated leading to trolls laughing at the person!..not that I know of this sort of thing... :oops:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
SoMissunderstood wrote:

That all sounds...rather...trollish.

I am the biggest 'White Knight' there is, my friend. That's how I know such things. ;)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 2:28 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:
I am the biggest 'White Knight' there is, my friend. That's how I know such things. ;)

Are you so sure you're White? One man's troll is another man's provocative thinker; what makes you qualified to render judgment and then employ behavior that would be condemned as trolling if done by others?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 2:42 pm

:roll: :roll:
Aw ferchrissake who cares about trolls?!
If you positively identify someone as a troll either simply ignore them or play along with them. Even a combination of the two but don't give anyone, including me, the satisfaction of f*cking cry over them.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm

I still don't get the concept of trolling and rarely recognize one. Even if someone is behaving trollishly, they're still a person expressing themselves.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 3:21 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I still don't get the concept of trolling and rarely recognize one. Even if someone is behaving trollishly, they're still a person expressing themselves.

Internet troll: In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll