Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 2:26 pm

A BBQ. Or, as we call it down here, a cookout. It was a spur of the moment, causal thing. My daughter's bf is firing up that BIG GRILL she got him for Christmas and we put on three slabs of ribs, and I'm making potato salad and she's making squash and onions on the grill in butter and foil and also some roasted corn on the cob. I invited a bunch of folks, and it's a bring your own meat type thing if you are bringing a lot of folks and I'm asking the ladies to bring a cold salad of some kind or a side. Folks will be dropping by from about now till late tonight. That preacher guy is bringing that moonshine that he makes so if I am on later, I may not be coherent at all.

This morning I got up and wished I wasn't doing it and was looking for a way out of it, but now that we started it, I'm glad I'm doing it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

Darn, Olive!

I'm too far away, in NYC.

Could you send a plane over?

mfs1013
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2014, 12:11 am

I sometimes wish whatever parties I start could be successful... IE hosting a table nightclub (even if I ever have that kind of money $$$). Just last October I spent my birthday alone... Yet was able to get in for free both nights in an Atlantic City nightclub. I was with somebody else who had the same birthday as me... She had a table (on the 1st night) but most of friends didn't show up... There was only 4 or 5 of us so we didn't stay for too long. The second night it was just me and I was able to join somebody else's table because I was being blunt and just said "it's my birthday"

For me, it's hard to just host some kind of party on any occasion. Cuz I know nobody will show up for me. Whether it be a nightclub, or at my house

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/mfs1013

http://soundcloud.com/DJMFS
http://mixcloud.com/DJMFS

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 2:19 pm

We had a great time. I invited people for me and my husband, the kids invited people for them, folks just dropped by here and there. Everybody kind of broke up into groups, the men in the den talking politics, religion, football and whiskey, the ladies in the kitchen and diningroom, the kids off in their own rooms. Folks going in and out to look at the food on the grill. It was nice.

I had a mix of folks that you wouldn't think would work but it did. Lots of age groups from 14 and 15 all the way to 70. Right wing conservatives and left wing liberals and moderates, Christians, Athiests, Agnostics, and even the token Pagan. Gay and straight, black and white, etc. There was spirited discussion in the den over political and religious issues, and my oldest daughter who is pro gun control even got into a long and loud (but still not angry and everybody was smiling and polite during all the discussions) over gun control with a group of older men who were very pro gun rights, but it didn't get ugly at all. People seemed to just agree to disagree and we all agreed that the drinks were nice and the food was out of this world and that dogs are the best pets ever.

We had three slabs of ribs and a Boston Butt. Each slab of ribs had a different homemade sauce on it and the pork roast was smoked. Folks brought steaks of their own too. From here, we had corn on the cob on the grill, three kinds of squash and a couple Vidalias cut up in foil and a couple sticks butter on the grill, potato salad, egg salad, devilled eggs and bbq bread with butter on it. We had tea, a 30 pack of natural ice, folks brang some expensive beers for themselves and the preacher who is VERY conservative in everything except drinking, brought some moonshine that he had somehow mde that did NOT have the alcohol taste at all and some blendery kind of thing that adds carbonation and mixed up all kinds of mixed drinks with it for everybody in the kitchen, the best one was the last round that he made with espresso and something else and moonshine and used the carbonation thing to make it foamy. It was so good and three of them was more than enough for me they were that strong.

We really just had a nice, laid back time. Everybody looked nice and wore decent clothes and not just cut offs and tshirts, but not overly dressed up, just Southern Cookout dressed up sort of stuff. I wore this white chiffon halter dress with some red watercolor roses on the sheer overlay part and my daughters both wore blue lace dresses. Guys wore nice shorts or khakis, except the preacher who wore his usual overalls because that's all that's comfortable for him because of his size but he had on a nice shirt with them. He preaches in a suit and tie though. We just had a really, really nice time and as much as I was looking for a way to get out of it before it started, I'm thrilled that I went ahead with it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 3:07 pm

Sounds like I missed something great. I know somebody whose backyard I coulda used for that plane! I woulda paid all expenses.