Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

I've been wondering if it's just me who can get a lot of abstract thoughts from music, differently than on a conversation for example.
Let's say i listen to a song that says "How my heart hurts". I'll always imagine that the person is just suffering from some kind of bad emotion but if someone say this during a normal conversation with me i would probably think he's having a heart attack.
Could this be because we've learned that music is almost always talking through metaphors and because of that we always expect things to be not literal? I mean, during a conversation the possibilities are endless and we who are on the spectrum have almost nothing to tell us when they're being metaphoric and when they're saying it for real.
As always sorry for the bad english.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm

"!Could this be because we've learned that music is almost always talking through metaphors and because of that we always expect things to be not literal?"
That could be it, - along with the fact, that music is an emotional language, that supports the text message.

Go back to the 15-1600s. The text material of a song could be sad, but accompanied by music, that deliberately spoke to sad feelings, it became unebearable. The audience cried and wallowed in pain and the composer got at raise :D
Monteverdi was very good at it ( Listen to "Lamento di Arianna"). He got rich. Dowland ("Flow my tears") got rich too.

Last edited by Jensen on 25 Jun 2014, 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2014, 5:43 pm

Yes, and it makes for very bizarre images in my mind. 8O

Here is a video made by someone that my sister knows, I think it is very appropriate for this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Py_KmifFE&list=UUfKh8ET0KE61qHXbkRmX0Yg[/youtube]

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 8:11 pm

lol
That's how i was going to expect to understand every music i listen, but i surprisingly don't!
A lot of times i can notice a weird verse or something that can sound a little bit unreal but most of the times (especially compared with a normal real time conversation) i can completely understand any music that i like.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 11:46 pm

Most of the artists I listen to write literally, when I try to write, I write literally. Song lyrics have always been very confusing to me although if I can understand what the song is about I can sometimes figure out the figurative parts to a point or I just assume the parts I can't understand somehow fit in with the lyrics I do understand. I can't feel comfortable recommending or performing music if I don't understand it though.