Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 2:47 pm

Any ideas for alternative ways to dress.

Starting to think developing my own style might be a good idea.

Widget
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm

I don't understand the bitterness or disdain against anyone wanting to dress or present themselves to the world in a way that's conforming or stylish when both of these are universally considered to be positive and socially desirable traits. Dressing in away that's utilitarian or functional with no interest in aesthetics can come across as naive and arrogant; it kind of sends the message to society that you don't give a hoot about others' perceptions of you or in general.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 3:14 pm

I have wondered about that question myself.

With all due respect to Sheldon Cooper, my own everyday dress is usually a black T-shirt with denim jeans and court shoes. Not too creative or original, I know. After years of getting hundreds of free T-shirts from movie theatres and political campaigns, I now avoid clothing with snark or advertising printed on it.

Would typical Aspie clothing have: 1) no labels or other tags, 2) no cuffs, 3) all-cotton fabric, 4) probably Velcro fasteners, not laces, ties or buttons, and 5) some kind of bag for stuff and things.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

Widget wrote:
I don't understand the bitterness or disdain against anyone wanting to dress or present themselves to the world in a way that's conforming or stylish when both of these are universally considered to be positive and socially desirable traits. Dressing in away that's utilitarian or functional with no interest in aesthetics can come across as naive and arrogant; it kind of sends the message to society that you don't give a hoot about others' perceptions of you or in general.

I am what I am, take it or leave it, that is alright with me. I dress for comfort, and style be damned.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

For casualwear I normally wear a no-logo blank shirt or collared shirt with shorts or thin pants
I avoid jeans and sweatpants like the plague

Also something I see aspies do a lot is to bring there socks like halfway up there leg. Seriously nobody likes how that looks, it's something that makes me want to strangle someone when I see them doing, Just wear you're socks around you're ankles like most people :evil:

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

I got my own style - red, comfortable tops, dark jeans and red/black sneakers. So far I never had any problems because of it. Only my parents tell me I should wear less red things and use more girly clothes but I don't care. I am happy with what I wear.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

I like to by cheapest comfy black cotton basics and then buy 2nd hand to try out new looks. I like bright colours and different textures. I have quite eclectic tastes but comfort is the real litmus test.

Widget

24 Jun 2014, 4:04 pm

To be pragmatic about it people often aren't favored when they come across as willfully unappealing, it's almost treated at best as something akin to a weakness or at worst something like a personal failing rather than just a difference in taste since it probably comes across as not being concerned about social status.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-bar ... 42060.html

Last edited by Widget on 24 Jun 2014, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

99% of the time I'm either in my birthday suit or in scrub bottoms and bathrobe.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 4:17 pm

I just dress for comfort really shorts and tshirts and jeans when it's colder. Every now and then I will wear a skort or a skirt especially if it is warmer. They seem to be more comfy when it's hot. I also wear crocs and Keen sandals a lot.

Wreck It Ralph

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
99% of the time I'm either in my birthday suit or in scrub bottoms and bathrobe.

I take it this is your work attire? ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 4:36 pm

sepia wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm a professional space occupier, I work from home :alien:

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 5:01 pm

Jeans, t-shirt and beige Fjällräven shirt.....for years.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 5:04 pm

<=== Maybe the public expect us to dress up like my avatar. "Thank you Arthur, you look very creamy today!"

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2014, 5:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
sepia wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm a professional space occupier, I work from home :alien:

Too cold for casual nudity here in London. However, in a week's time I move into a new home with underfloor heating. Can't wait!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2014, 5:07 pm

<=== Maybe the public expect us to dress up like my avatar. "Thank you Arthur, you look very creamy today!" "Whacha laughing at, is it my nose?"