Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

I can't be the only person around here that can't drive? I simply cannot figure why it's so hard for me to drive either. Maybe it's just overall anxiety.

My history as a driver:

-When I was 17, in California, I went through driver ed as part of my high school curriculum
-It took me 3 tries to pass the written test for my permit
-Then I was suppose to be on a permit learning, let's say I had some parents who were either to hard or yelled at me

My permit expired, then I drive a motorcycle and I preferred that. Even without my parents yelling or to hard one me I never preferred a car.

My motorcycle went something like:

-3 times to complete motorcycle safety course
-3 times to pass the written test
-1 time to pass the driving part

I have tried to drive a car more than a few times over the years.

-Once when I was 21. I was fine when I was going straight. My turns suck. And my dad hounded me in a parking lot nearly an 1hr to turn the wheel, turn the wheel, till I parked perfectly, which made me cry, which made him mad

-Once again now, I'm 22 now, with my sister. She taught me in a similiar way my dad tried to teach me. Empty parking lot and forcing me to do turn after turn after turn after turn.

The reasons why I don't drive and hate cars

-The sun hurts my eyes
-I can't determine the speed of the other vehicles [even when I'm walking as a pedestrian, I prefer the crosswalk over J walking because I cannot determine the speed of the cars. I need someone to tell me when, that's why I like crosswalks they tell me when]
-I hate how a car lurches forward even when I am not putting gas on it
-I think I'm going to fast
-I'm nervous usually and awkwar about it
-And last, but not least. I think I'm the only person with this person. I feel like I have no control of the passenger side what so ever. It just feels like the right side of me is attached.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:00 pm

I can drive just fine. I'd much rather drive than take the bus. Even if I'm stuck in rush hour traffic, it still pretty much means that I'm sitting down, listening to music.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:05 pm

You can't assume all the blame about driving. In most urban areas, the abilities of too many drivers are dangerous. I drive to the exact letter of the law, and just this morning, I was cut off by just inches by a driver who apparently decided to start swerving from lane to lane zig-zagging between other vehicles. We have all seen "cell-phone drivers," "texting drivers," and, my personal favorite, the "'oooh, my microwave-pizza is done!' Homer Simpson drivers."

I admire anybody who has chosen to avoid driving altogether. I wish I could.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

I drive and have been since I was 15. I got my license when I was almost 17 so it's been 12 years now. It gives me more freedom to go anywhere and to go to places faster and to get home quicker and I don't have to wait out in the hot or nasty weather or cold weather. I hate being stuck in heavy traffic and avoid it as such when I can and I hate driving at night and sometimes driving on freeways make me nervous. I get anxiety. When on the road, I actually miss all the detail because I am busy watching the road and cars around me to avoid an accident. I am not looking around except for the road only.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2014, 3:34 pm

"I can't determine the speed of the other vehicles - even when I'm walking as a pedestrian, I prefer the crosswalk over J walking because I cannot determine the speed of the cars. I need someone to tell me when, that's why I like crosswalks they tell me when"

AoK - you have made the right decision, and it is a pity that more people are unable to recognise their limitations.

I stopped driving a few years ago when I developed an eyesight problem, and I feel liberated. MotorCars are an unmitigated pain in the ass, and BusTravel is a whole lot of fun (especially when it's free of charge - my Englishman's BusPass is my most treasured possession!).

Enjoy...

ikerio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2014, 3:41 pm

why some people can drive and listen to the radio (sometimes unbearably loud) at the same time is beyond my comprehension! :?

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
"I can't determine the speed of the other vehicles - even when I'm walking as a pedestrian, I prefer the crosswalk over J walking because I cannot determine the speed of the cars. I need someone to tell me when, that's why I like crosswalks they tell me when"

AoK - you have made the right decision, and it is a pity that more people are unable to recognise their limitations.

I stopped driving a few years ago when I developed an eyesight problem, and I feel liberated. MotorCars are an unmitigated pain in the ass, and BusTravel is a whole lot of fun (especially when it's free of charge - my Englishman's BusPass is my most treasured possession!).

Enjoy...

Thing is I love walking. I wish America was built more on the idea of walk travel and not car travel. You don't know the sense of freedom you feel when I am walking down a sidewalk with nowhere in mind to go.

NGC6205
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2014, 3:50 pm

I've never really cared much for driving beyond the independent mobility gained in a fairly autodependent suburb. The only public transit around here are buses for which the schedules appear designed for little more than commuting downtown in the morning and back in the afternoon. Despite this, I never even learned to drive for nearly 2 years after I was eligible for a license because I had little interest in practicing. At least the traffic around here is pretty tame in comparison to some areas, riding as a passenger in Boston made me quite anxious just thinking about driving there...

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

AceofKnaves wrote:
You don't know the sense of freedom you feel when I am walking down a sidewalk with nowhere in mind to go.

O yes I do!

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2014, 4:05 pm

NGC6205 wrote:
I've never really cared much for driving beyond the independent mobility gained in a fairly autodependent suburb. The only public transit around here are buses for which the schedules appear designed for little more than commuting downtown in the morning and back in the afternoon. Despite this, I never even learned to drive for nearly 2 years after I was eligible for a license because I had little interest in practicing. At least the traffic around here is pretty tame in comparison to some areas, riding as a passenger in Boston made me quite anxious just thinking about driving there...

I keep trying to practice.

I just can't.

I know how to drive, logically. I do not know how to drive, physically.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

NGC6205
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2014, 4:20 pm

AceofKnaves wrote:
I keep trying to practice.

I just can't.

I know how to drive, logically. I do not know how to drive, physically.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

I understand the feeling of being unable to learn how to do something from other things. I was more just saying I really wish there wasn't a need to drive in more places.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 4:28 pm

I took driver's ed in the first semester of my first year of high school and did okay. We'd drive around a track and sometimes go outside the gate and drive in city traffic with an instructor in the right seat. It was nerve wracking as hell but I managed not to bend the car up or get us killed. What I hated were driving lessons with my dad. Knowing I'm not a morning person, he'd wake me up at 0 dark thirty and make me get in the car before I was even awake. With him I only got to drive around in a smallish parking lot while he bitched and yelled about every little thing, right or wrong.

Me: "Why can't we do this on the road? I've already driven on the track and around town in driver's ed."
The old man: "I don't care what they let you do. They must be absolutely stupid to let you drive one of their cars anywhere. You're not gonna get the goddamn chance to wreck one of my vehicles."
Me: Well I'm not getting anything out of what we're doing now."
The old man: "I'll knock your goddamn head off if you smart off like that again!"

Oh well, I got my license anyway. :P

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
Me: "Why can't we do this on the road? I've already driven on the track and around town in driver's ed."
The old man: "I don't care what they let you do. They must be absolutely stupid to let you drive one of their cars anywhere. You're not gonna get the goddamn chance to wreck one of my vehicles."
The old man: "I'll knock your goddamn head off if you smart off like that again!"

Reminds me of my old man! Bad thing was I was more stubborn then he. He'd threaten to knock my teeth out or knock my d**k into the dirt I would respond with something like "PROMISE?". Yea I got the crap kicked outta me a few times. I am more of a smarta** then he was. :lol:

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:18 pm

I have an intense fear of driving. It's a mixture of anxiety, not being able to judge distances, not understanding what to do and when to do it, and not processing things quickly enough.

After a traumatic driving practice two days ago, I'm terrified that my dad is going to make me go again tonight.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 5:22 pm

KB8CWB wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Reminds me of my old man! Bad thing was I was more stubborn then he. He'd threaten to knock my teeth out or knock my d**k into the dirt I would respond with something like "PROMISE?". Yea I got the crap kicked outta me a few times. I am more of a smarta** then he was. :lol:

For me it would have been more than merely getting my head knocked off. By then he'd knocked my head knocked off a few times before. He probably would have denied me getting my license since I was only 16. That, and possibly other sanctions would have been leveled against me.