Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 6:40 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAYnGkSqTwg[/youtube]

I just snagged this on a steam sale. I gotta say, it looks like something that could trigger a major obsession for me. Guess I'll find out once it's downloaded.

So, is anyone else playing this?

If so, what do you think of it?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 6:49 am

Seems very dependant on the individual player as to wether it's enjoyable or not.

The whole thing is very much like Minecraft's "creative" mode, where for the most part you just build whatever without dealing with resources or actual gameplay elements. And that's fine for some, but the fact is that there's not much "game" here. You build ships just to have cool looking ships; they accomplish no practical purpose. You can use a variety of moving parts and energy generators and other gizmos to produce large mechanisms, but.... yeah, the whole point is just having them.

There IS a survival mode, but.... it's only barely there, has a long way to go before it's much of anything, and it's hideously slow-paced and repetetive. And there's not actually much to do there.

I have the game, but I've barely touched it. Much like with Minecraft, a simple "just build stuff" creative mode just bores me, and the survival mode needs ALOT of work before it'll be very good.

Time will tell how it will all turn out.... the good part is that the developers are very dedicated to it and content updates are frequent.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 7:05 am

^^^ Yeah, I understand that it's an early access game and has a long way to go. One of the reasons I was interested in it is because it seems like the devs ARE very dedicated to it and that it should/could have a very active modding community eventually.

I'm also okay with the game itself not giving me a purpose. It's a sandbox and I can use my own imagination for purpose. I'm sorta expecting virtual legos in space, at this point. :wink:

Thanks for the input.

I'll post my opinions once I've downloaded it and had the chance to play for a bit.