Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2014, 7:09 pm

Today, as I write this, me and my family celebrated my nephew's second birthday. This is significant because this is the age where a human begins to develop -- or in our case, a lack of -- social skills with other children. I am happy to report that he interacted well with another boy, roughly the same age as him.

What does that all mean, I hear you ask. Well, the age of 2 not only means the entry into toddler-hood, but also the borderline where the first symptoms of AS develop. If that was the case (and it would be some time until my sister and her husband would have to seek out the appropriate doctor for a diagnosis), the kid could in later years take solace that his uncle is in the same boat as him.

All in all, I've enjoyed being an uncle to this little kid. It has changed my life in so many ways, even though I may never have children of my own (and frankly, I don't want them even if I do get a wife). I can't wait to get into the meat of the uncle-nephew relationship.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 9:43 am

Good for you. If your nephew shares your diagnosis, you will be in a good position to offer help, and if he doesn't, you will be offering him the opportunity to learn about the wide range of ways people can be in the world. Either way, it's a gift.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

Enjoy it, whether he shares your diagnosis or not.

I don't remember a kid, NT, AS, or otherwise, who didn't enjoy knowing and spending time with my AS father.

Someone who can relax and enjoy being with a kid is a rare find, and a great treat, both for the adult and for the kid (and, for that matter, the kid's parents).

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 8:54 am

Some people may not want kids, but can be awesome aunts and uncles (I think this often goes together!)

Have fun!

My son is now 7 and I enjoy our relationship so much more than when he was a toddler. We can converse and do things together - it's great.