Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2014, 5:49 am

So, I haven't been on WP for a LONG time and that is because I thought I didn't really need it...well, I was wrong, there is always a chance for improvement. And since having 2 jobs since my last visit I am convinced that it is not ME that is the problem but the kind of people this world seems to have...I have to be the one that can cope with the many horrible people I encounter and I am left being beaten with harsh words and accusations while I am standing there in shock, not able to move or black out and not able to control my actions.

So, I was working at Wal-Mart. I feel horrible for not listening to my many friends who have worked there and had two friend who were actually fired from the same Wal-Mart I was working for. Apparently according to Wal-Mart I am a violent person. Bull, I was attacked verbally, and I have had outbursts like this since I was 2, frustrated by not able to speak my mind from my disorder or/and from people yelling at me, my outbursts cause my body to have huge adrenaline rushes and I wind up breaking something, myself, and when I was really young (age 2-6) other people. I cursed a co-worker because they got up and left to go tell on me for my burst and I accidentally cursed her, once, because she wouldn't let me speak and for her illogical anger in the first place, she and this other young punk I work with has been giving me crap all day that day, and with my hormone imbalances and stress from work and not being able to sleep, I do not blame myself for my burst of emotion.

My boss told me to sit down and we can talk, me, still having a huge adrenaline rush that was still freaking me out, I told her I quit and she helped me get clocked out, my stuff out of the locker and handing over my badge and supplies.

I am awake now, while I should be asleep because now I am having nightmares. I can tell that my Asperger's is now hindering on my work relationships, but my mother told me it was Wal-Mart's fault that they did not acknowledge my condition nor did they discuss my condition to my co-workers, but I do not see how this will make a difference. Once that secret is out, people go about like they would normally, thinking my condition is nothing but an excuse.
With that said, my mother is thinking about taking legal action against Wal-Mart for creating a hostile work environment. I know of another friend of mine who is still currently working there and she has Asperger's more severe than mine...I do not know how she does it....maybe her shift has nicer people?

I am creating this post for support mostly but also from my fear of not being able to keep a job...this is my second job, and I have not been able to keep a job for even a month...it is scaring me and I am afraid I will have to collect disability for the rest of my life...

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"
- Albert Einstein

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 7:40 am

If you quit, then how did you get fired?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 8:23 am

ibtiamat wrote:
... I am convinced that it is not ME that is the problem but the kind of people this world seems to have...I have to be the one that can cope with the many horrible people I encounter and I am left being beaten with harsh words and accusations while I am standing there in shock, not able to move or black out and not able to control my actions.

Quote:
I cursed a co-worker because they got up and left to go tell on me for my burst and I accidentally cursed her, once, because she wouldn't let me speak and for her illogical anger in the first place, she and this other young punk I work with has been giving me crap all day that day, and with my hormone imbalances and stress from work and not being able to sleep, I do not blame myself for my burst of emotion.

Quote:
...it is scaring me and I am afraid I will have to collect disability for the rest of my life...

I can't keep a job either, but for different reasons. While you are experiencing an inappropriate outburst, I am in the bathroom stall crying. Lol

Not quite sure what to say about the incident - sounds like they were being jerks, but I'm wondering exactly what your response was. If you touched her or threatened her, that's bad. I find the best way to avoid these situations is to prevent them. In this case, separate yourself from these people.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 8:26 am

Have you consulted a Dr. or Psych. about this? There is medication that helps with this.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 3:33 am

I don't care how many problems, or damaged you are, you don't cure at others at work.

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 9:38 am

eric76 wrote:

Wal-Mart can fire you despite saying that you quit. Which, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they said I was fired.

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 9:41 am

Ann2011 wrote:
ibtiamat wrote:
... I am convinced that it is not ME that is the problem but the kind of people this world seems to have...I have to be the one that can cope with the many horrible people I encounter and I am left being beaten with harsh words and accusations while I am standing there in shock, not able to move or black out and not able to control my actions.

Quote:
I cursed a co-worker because they got up and left to go tell on me for my burst and I accidentally cursed her, once, because she wouldn't let me speak and for her illogical anger in the first place, she and this other young punk I work with has been giving me crap all day that day, and with my hormone imbalances and stress from work and not being able to sleep, I do not blame myself for my burst of emotion.

Quote:
...it is scaring me and I am afraid I will have to collect disability for the rest of my life...

I can't keep a job either, but for different reasons. While you are experiencing an inappropriate outburst, I am in the bathroom stall crying. Lol

Not quite sure what to say about the incident - sounds like they were being jerks, but I'm wondering exactly what your response was. If you touched her or threatened her, that's bad. I find the best way to avoid these situations is to prevent them. In this case, separate yourself from these people.

I said *f you because she wouldn't let me speak and ran off to tell the manager about my outburst.

I didn't threaten anyone or lay a finger on anyone. But I was in a hostile situation and Wal-Mart just wants to fire people.

I was never good at prying myself out of situations like this, ever since I was 2 I would be in shock not able to move or outburst or both. Adrenaline gets the best of me and I am not responsible for my actions at that point.

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 9:42 am

Dantac wrote:
Have you consulted a Dr. or Psych. about this? There is medication that helps with this.

I am trying to get help after this.
And I am already on medication, so I am going to a psychiatrist about this, to see if I am even on the right medication.

- Albert Einstein

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 9:53 am

ibtiamat wrote:
I didn't threaten anyone or lay a finger on anyone. But I was in a hostile situation and Wal-Mart just wants to fire people.

I was never good at prying myself out of situations like this, ever since I was 2 I would be in shock not able to move or outburst or both. Adrenaline gets the best of me and I am not responsible for my actions at that point.

WalMart sucks.

I have to disagree though...you are responsible for your actions regardless of the adrenaline. But I think you already know this or you would not be seeking professional help to deal with the issue.

Dealing with passions like anger is very difficult, their nature is volatile. Medication can help for sure and also counselling. But you absolutely are responsible for your actions.

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
ibtiamat wrote:

WalMart sucks.

I have to disagree though...you are responsible for your actions regardless of the adrenaline. But I think you already know this or you would not be seeking professional help to deal with the issue.

Dealing with passions like anger is very difficult, their nature is volatile. Medication can help for sure and also counselling. But you absolutely are responsible for your actions.

Actually, I am going to therapy to cope with the people who refuse to go get help. They were attacking me I thought people on here would understand.

I never got early intervention for my autism, I was misdiagnosed with ADHD. I got frustrated so I blacked out, in all honestly, how can you be responsible for your actions if you black out? Tell me that please.

- Albert Einstein

ibtiamat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2014, 12:24 pm

DVCal wrote:
I don't care how many problems, or damaged you are, you don't cure at others at work.

I bet you mean curse, but I thought WP would understand, looks like I attracted the wrong crowd with this post. My apologies.

- Albert Einstein

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 1:14 pm

I am guessing you are in USA. I am in Illinois.

Far as I know, in my state, and in Texas in the 1990's [:)] if you quit, you are out of luck on getting unemployment benefits. When you said you quit face-to-face to your manager, of course he/she is going to help you get out the door, one of their problems just solved itself. I find people problems to be the hardest problem of my job, course I'm an Aspie, so it should be.

You are going to have to find a way to address the outbursts. I have had several thru the course of my life, including a few at work. This was before finding I was on the spectrum. Having kids can really help put a throttle on it when you know three hungry mouths are counting on you. Another thing was when I got mad and punched the refrigerator and broke two bones in my hand. Damn did that hurt.

I wouldn't do the lawsuit thing. First off, you quit. Second thing is, if you sue Wal-Mart, your name will be posted somewhere and will come up in internet searches. Especially if your name unique - mine is. Someone at work here sued the company, you can find it like on the first page of a google search.

Just imagine if you are the hiring manager, you google somebody's name, and on the first page up comes a lawsuit at the previous company the person worked at. What would you do?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 4:19 pm

ibtiamat wrote:
eric76 wrote:

Wal-Mart can fire you despite saying that you quit. Which, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they said I was fired.
If you quit a job, can you collect unemployment benefits? My understanding is that you cannot collect unemployment benefits if you quit, but if you are fired they have to show that your firing was for a justifiable reason.

The one case I personally know of for a person who was fired and then filed for unemployment benefits and the former employer objected, the hearing board on hearing sided with the fired employee and she did collect unemployment benefits.

If someone wants to quit, I think the most rational thing to do is to let them quit and go away.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 4:30 pm

ibtiamat wrote:
Ann2011 wrote:
ibtiamat wrote:

WalMart sucks.

Actually, I am going to therapy to cope with the people who refuse to go get help. They were attacking me I thought people on here would understand.

I never got early intervention for my autism, I was misdiagnosed with ADHD. I got frustrated so I blacked out, in all honestly, how can you be responsible for your actions if you black out? Tell me that please.

I understand that the world is full of jerks.

I think, if you can't control these outburts, that you should figure out how to de-escalate your emotional response before you reach the black out phase. You are aware that this is not acceptable (you may want to change people's treatment of you, but no one's ever going to accept being sworn at it the workplace,) so try to avoid it. If you have to, just walk away.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2014, 5:24 pm

ibtiamat wrote:
DVCal wrote:

I bet you mean curse, but I thought WP would understand, looks like I attracted the wrong crowd with this post. My apologies.

You didn't attract the wrong crowd with this. You attracted a crowd who understands how difficult it can be to control these outbursts and yet is still saying that we are all responsible for our actions. As someone with Asperger's and ADHD I can tell you for sure I've had to learn this the hard way. I've said "I'm sorry" so many times in my life I don't even know where to start. It's never failed me yet. Sometimes my emotions, impulsivity, or sensory issues get the best of me. Occasionally I snap at someone (never curse or yell though) or say something someone else finds offensive. I don't go to them and try to explain that it is because of a condition. The person I hurt really doesn't care why I did it; they just know that it hurt them. I go to them and I tell them I am sorry, because I am actually sorry. Yes, Asperger's and ADHD effect this, but I'm still sorry. I think about the situation and how I could do it differently next time and when I need to I talk to a trusted therapist, professor, or friend to help me come up with solutions.

You didn't find the wrong crowd here. You found people who understand how hard this is and yet still care enough to tell you that we have to do hard things to get to where we want to go. We have to learn. I'm not saying you have to be perfect (no one is), but when life gives you crappy experiences like this, instead of saying it was not your fault, why not see what you can learn from it? We've all been in these situations, but the difference between those who keep falling and those who keep going is in how you respond to it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2014, 1:53 pm

In high school, my therapist told me we are all responsible for our actions. If we want to be out in the world, we have to be responsible for our actions, if we cannot, we cannot be in the real world. There are people out there who are not held responsible because of their mental illness or mental condition they have so what happens to them? They are locked way in a hospital. I heard of a story from my school counselor this one man broke into a home and took stuff because he was told to do it, he was not held responsible for it so the judge decided to put him in a group home. I don't know what condition he had.

Unless you want to live in a hospital or group home, you have to be held responsible for your actions.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.