Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 6:30 pm

Colbey wrote:
It sounds like you're presuming that firefighters are not in a good mood when in a fire. From my experience of talking with my best friend, who is a firefighter, you would be wrong. For him there is absolutely nothing better than being called to a fire.

I do not understand what you mean by "intuitive information after conscious filtering."

Yes it's just a misunderstanding in wording.
Perhaps replacing "bad mood" with "stressed" would be more accurate.

Being eager to go into danger suggests adrenaline junkies, and that's definitely a function of stress and stress chemicals. Relaxing in your bathtub would not produce the same effect as being in a burning structure.

It is said that many top athletes are able to perform outside of normal bounds due to intuition, and that would be for a similar reason. It is a type of heightened emotional state where the chemical ratios in the brain are changed.

My definition of intuition is limited to that information access and manipulation that lies within the brain's own natural language, and not the part of the brain that we normally use for conscious thought. When we have an intuition it most often makes it's way into our conscious thought process where we filter it through learned conditionals and test it against learned patterns. In the area of conscious though most processes happen within learned languages, where there are multiple layers of translation happening. This makes conscious thought slower.

An intuition can be acted on immediately before reaching conscious thought, or an intuition can be described by us later after having been filtered through conscious thought. Naturally, intuition is drastically changed after having been filtered through learned conditionals.

An instant behavior/reaction we observe in humans or other animals is described as instinct, and this is what I call intuition as well. It doesn't come from, or require conscious thought.
Conditioning utilizes this ability of the brain to forego most if not all conscious thought.

dragonriko
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

I use past examples, learned behaviour, copy of others behaviour, etc, I apply all of these to the problem, determine what the options are and decide which would be the best to take before finally making a decision. I reason what the best solution to a problem is that would get the best or most accurate outcome using the least amount of energy or imput and which has the least negative impact. If I don't have any experience in the situation and no idea of the expected/preferred/possible options then I just shut down because I don't know what to do or how to act. I need to have all the information in regards to the problem before I can determine the best solution, whereas NT's usually just go with whatever they think of first. This is very tiring and takes forever to do. I dislike having to make a choice on something without all the information. I believe there are three sides to every story and prefer to know all three before judging.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 2:05 am

Fast intuition is my favorite mode of thinking, the kind that comes in a flash, and you feel your brain light up byoootifully.
Then, slower, more measured reasoning follows to implement or eggsplore the idea in detail and in a way that makes sense and is logically sound.

MarcusL87
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2014, 3:54 am

Hi All,

Thank you for sharing!

This is all brilliant stuff.

Thinking Fast, thinking Slow is definitely a nice book to read and I would highly recommend it if you are interested in human cognition. It is not too technical either.

My interests not only reside on learning how people with Autism reason differently, but also how people with Schizophrenia reason differently. Intriguingly, if you are accurate in suggesting that ASD is the result of "System 2" compensating for System 1, then the reverse profile can be seen in people with Psychosis. They appear to exhibit an "over-reliance" on System 1 and appear to ignore System 2. Imagine relying continuously on your "gut feelings" and intuitions without applying any form of more 'logical' reasoning. This would technically explain how symptoms resembling paranoia, persecutory ideation etc. materialise.

Cheers

Colbey
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2014, 11:30 am

MarcusL87 wrote:
if you are accurate in suggesting that ASD is the result of "System 2" compensating for System 1, then the reverse profile can be seen in people with Psychosis. . . . .. Imagine relying continuously on your "gut feelings" and intuitions without applying any form of more 'logical' reasoning.

LOL

If I'm right, by definition, imagining that would be impossibly foreign for us. - That'd be like saying to you, "Imagine relying continuously on your "telekinesis and telepathy" to interact with the world without being able to use your 'physical' body parts."