Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 4:35 am

Laptop speakers seem to be having an issue. The physical speakers, and headphone/mic jac seem to not be working. The sound card/drivers are all uptodate. Reinstalled them all, and even did a system restore, to no avail. The speaker icon says, 'no audio output deivce is installed', which I know is BS, because of all the things I did earlier. I even had a few IT friends verify that, it is installed, and they are clueless as to what is wrong with the laptop.
I have no viruses/malware of any kind. This is a HP DV7-3085DX, and the laptops physical volume buttons don't work, heck even the physical speaker button is constantly red, it wont move. Any ideas as to what I can do, to get sound back? As I stated all the drivers/sound card is up to date, and it seems to be a hardware/physical problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and thanks to all the people who helped me in the past, with my other computer issues.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 4:39 am

What OS are you running, and what model is your laptop?

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 4:49 am

Windows 7, 64 bit, DV7-3085DX. It's an old laptop, from 2009. I have kept it in somewhat good condition.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

When that happened to me, I had to get USB headphones.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 3:23 am

Keniichi wrote:
Windows 7, 64 bit, DV7-3085DX. It's an old laptop, from 2009. I have kept it in somewhat good condition.

Try downloading and installing the driver here: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48501-49000/sp48668.exe

If that direct link doesn't work, try this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 41797#N189

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 12:04 am

It's NOT the driver. It seems to be a physical problem. Thank you for the link. Though, I wonder what problem it is? Other than physical.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 1:16 am

Have you tried giving it a shot anyway, just to see if it does anything?

Another thing you could try, is creating a Linux live DVD or USB with a distro like Mint or Ubuntu, and seeing if audio works on one of those. If it works on there, then its a problem likely rooted in your Windows install, as Windows often does really stupid things with device drivers, and its hard to fix those issues without reinstalling the whole OS. If it doesn't work on one of those distros however, then it's almost certainly a hardware problem.

One last thing you can check, is if your onboard audio somehow got disabled in your BIOS. This likely shouldn't happen, but it's worth checking.

If you don't have sound on Windows or Linux, and onboard audio is enabled in your BIOS, then it's definitely a hardware problem, and since you're on a laptop, the only real way to fix it would be a motherboard replacement, but those are stupidly expensive, and usually not worth the cost. A good bandage solution would be a USB audio device of some sort, like an external sound card hooked to external speakers or headphones, or a USB headset.

Another thing I almost forgot, before you go through with any of this, just check the Device Manager and see if your soundcard is disabled from there.