moldy house making us sick

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

Our son got a lot of water on our bathroom floor over a long period of time because he likes to stim with water. It got down in the floorboards (and our bathtub nearly fell through!) and is spreading into the adjacent bedroom. I moved out of the bedroom a couple of months ago due to marital issues, but my almost ex didn't quit sleeping in there until a couple of nights ago.

I went in to retrieve some clothes this morning and had an asthma attack.

We can't afford any major repairs. How can we get rid of it? We had wanted to try to sell the house for a little bit of gain over the payoff and use the money to move to another part of the country, but with the mold, I don't know if that's possible now.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 11:49 am

Well I hate to say it, but it sounds like it might take major repairs if the mold has done enough damage to where the bathtub nearly fell through the floorboards...those would for sure need replacing, mold would need to be removed and any other damage its done may need repairing though the floor would be the most important so things don't fall through.

Do you or your ex(since from the sound of it you still live together) know any friends/relatives/aquantinces that know how to work on houses and might also have a gas mask or something so as not to breath the mold while removing it? who could maybe help you out? Or do either of you know how to do repairs? That would save some money since I imagine hiring people could be pretty pricey, either way though for your health it needs to be taken care of ASAP or moving might be the only option, a lot of mold like that is toxic to an extent at least.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm

Yeah, you have to fix it.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 4:25 pm

heres how you get rid of most molds
mix bleach and water
soak all the mold you dont want it to go airborne because then your just spreading it and surrounding areas and scrape it off
mold for the most part is not that bad till it comes under attack and produces toxins to defend itself so you want to get it all in one shot also get a dehumidifier to get moister out of the air. most molds wont grow when they are dry

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 4:31 pm

You can sell a house in any condition, but you will probably have to disclose the problems and you'll have to price it accordingly.

Use bleach and water to kill the mold. You'll still have the water damage, but at least you shouldn't get sick anymore.