My first appointment is in a few hours. getting nervous!! !!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 7:30 am

I'm having an informal meeting with one of the assessors at a local autism service organization in a few hours and I'm starting to get really nervous. This meeting is just to discuss the assessment process and what services they offer. She said that she can also give her opinion as to the probability of me being on the spectrum. This meeting is not a part of the assessment process, but I hope to get a better idea of the probability of me having AS.

My best friend is going with me for moral support and to give any relevant information. She is an OT and has worked with people on the spectrum, and has suspected that I may be on the spectrum years before I had any suspicions. She pretty much said that if they don't diagnose me, she'd call BS.

I'm really hoping for something resembling an informal Dx, but I'm not sure how probable that is after one meeting. The assessor does have several pages of notes that my friend and I wrote about why I think I'm on the spectrum and she said that from what she's read, she thinks an assessment would be a good idea.

At this point, an unofficial, verbal Dx would be a huge relief.

I'll post an update after the appointment.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 8:38 am

jetbuilder wrote:
I'm having an informal meeting with one of the assessors at a local autism service organization in a few hours and I'm starting to get really nervous. This meeting is just to discuss the assessment process and what services they offer. She said that she can also give her opinion as to the probability of me being on the spectrum. This meeting is not a part of the assessment process, but I hope to get a better idea of the probability of me having AS.

My best friend is going with me for moral support and to give any relevant information. She is an OT and has worked with people on the spectrum, and has suspected that I may be on the spectrum years before I had any suspicions. She pretty much said that if they don't diagnose me, she'd call BS.

I'm really hoping for something resembling an informal Dx, but I'm not sure how probable that is after one meeting. The assessor does have several pages of notes that my friend and I wrote about why I think I'm on the spectrum and she said that from what she's read, she thinks an assessment would be a good idea.

At this point, an unofficial, verbal Dx would be a huge relief.

I'll post an update after the appointment.

Good luck! I went to one of those and I didn't receive an informal diagnosis but they did register me in their organization with a doctor's note that stated that I had traits and that it would be good for me to get some access to resources which they have been doing. As an adult they don't really give a diagnosis so I am pursuing diagnosis through another route.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2014, 8:39 am

That all sounds good. Don't over think it before hand so you don't get too nervous. It is not an exam; you can't fail it. Just be yourself, and answer the questions you are asked as well as you can.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 8:59 am

UDG wrote:
That all sounds good. Don't over think it before hand so you don't get too nervous. It is not an exam; you can't fail it. Just be yourself, and answer the questions you are asked as well as you can.

But overthinking things is what I'm best at! :p

My friend and I are leaving for the appointment now....

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 10:33 am

Anything that will keep you Building those Jets--I approve wholeheartedly!

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

Let us know how it goes... Wishing for the best!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 11:49 am

Well, it's unofficially official. She said that she would be confident in giving me an ASD Dx if the interview was an actual assessment. She said that the notes I sent earlier and my friend being there was a great help.

Sooooo relieved!

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

What will you do next? Official assessment?

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
Well, it's unofficially official. She said that she would be confident in giving me an ASD Dx if the interview was an actual assessment. She said that the notes I sent earlier and my friend being there was a great help

I repeat what I said on another thread - what will an 'official diagnosis' add to the 'preliminary assessment'? If the assessor has already made her decision, then why bother with any more meetings? How is this autism service funded?

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 12:47 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
jetbuilder wrote:
Well, it's unofficially official. She said that she would be confident in giving me an ASD Dx if the interview was an actual assessment. She said that the notes I sent earlier and my friend being there was a great help

I repeat what I said on another thread - what will an 'official diagnosis' add to the 'preliminary assessment'? If the assessor has already made her decision, then why bother with any more meetings? How is this autism service funded?

I'm now asking myself this. Just her saying she feels confident that I'm on the spectrum is such a huge relief. They charger $510 for assessments. Now, I'm not in any rush to make it official. I may do it in a year or so when money's not as tight, just to have it down on paper if something comes up.

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2014, 1:03 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
UDG wrote:

But overthinking things is what I'm best at! :p

My friend and I are leaving for the appointment now....

Me too. Thought you might be too. That is why I said that. :wink:

I'm glad it went well for you. :D

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2014, 1:17 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
jetbuilder wrote:

I'm now asking myself this. Just her saying she feels confident that I'm on the spectrum is such a huge relief. They charger $510 for assessments. Now, I'm not in any rush to make it official. I may do it in a year or so when money's not as tight, just to have it down on paper if something comes up.

I think you've made a wise decision. If you go back in a year or two's time, I would suggest that you ask them how many of their 510dollar assessments have resulted in a negative diagnosis - my guess would be that the answer is close to zero, but they will probably refuse to answer the question.