Page 1 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

http://www.jpost.com/Operation-Protective-Edge/IDF-intensifies-Gaza-attacks-with-artillery-fire-air-strikes-363289

Quote:
"Israel is committed to act to protect its citizens. The operation will continue until its goals are reached: To bring quiet to the citizens of Israel for a long period of time, and to seriously harm Hamas and other terrorist organizations' infrastructure in the Gaza Strip," the statement read.

Quote:
The IDF said that the operation will involve infantry, engineering corps, and tank units combined with air force and naval support and intelligence.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2014, 9:18 pm

The IDF is not only going to kill the Hamas Rocketeers, they plan to occupy any land seized in the attack so it can't be used again as a launching point for rockets and missiles.

Yes. There will be a lot of collateral damage. The Israelis have been dropping leaflets to warn the civilians to get away but unfortunately not all will heed the warning.

ruveyn

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 8:16 am

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKKBN0FM2ME20140718?i=2

Quote:
"My instructions...to the Israeli army, with the approval of the security cabinet, is to prepare for the possibility of a widening, a significant widening of the ground operation."
- Benjamin Netanyahu

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:18 pm

chris5000 wrote:
where are they to go? gaza is literally the worlds largest open air prison

^This.

Gaza is 139 square miles (360 sq km). To put that into perspective, New York City is 305 square miles (789 sq km).

And the border with Israel is closed. And the border with Egypt is closed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm

And as usual this plan will include mandatory disregard for any and all civilian life present....and then blame it on hamas using civilians as human shields like its an excuse for massacre. If in the U.S terrorists took over a mall for instance would the appropriate thing be to just blow the whole thing up to get the terrorists, or maybe attempt to get the terrorists with as little harm to civilians as possible? Ok kinda crappy analogy but seriously.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
The IDF is not only going to kill the Hamas Rocketeers, they plan to occupy any land seized in the attack so it can't be used again as a launching point for rockets and missiles.

Yes. There will be a lot of collateral damage. The Israelis have been dropping leaflets to warn the civilians to get away but unfortunately not all will heed the warning.

ruveyn

Get away to where? I have heard a lot about Palestinians being restricted from freely moving out of the Palestinian area....what is Israel going to let these refugees they are creating into their country? and at best attempt to live on the streets there or is there help for them since their homes and livliehoods are likely to be destroyed.

Do they all have the means to 'get out' in time? Also though is there a source for this info that they are actually dropping leaflets or actively trying to minimize destruction to civilians?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Do they all have the means to 'get out' in time? Also though is there a source for this info that they are actually dropping leaflets or actively trying to minimize destruction to civilians?

The leaflet bombardment is quite real. It has been going on for days. The problem is that those leaflets have now been dropped on well over half of the strip. As for minimizing destruction, the IDF is more or less defining it as not carpet bombing the Gaza strip in its entirety.

One thing that I find admirable in this whole mess is that some foriegn aid workers have set up camp out in the open at a care facility in the targeted area where evacuation is not possible in an attempt to protect the innocent.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The leaflet bombardment is quite real. It has been going on for days. The problem is that those leaflets have now been dropped on well over half of the strip. As for minimizing destruction, the IDF is more or less defining it as not carpet bombing the Gaza strip in its entirety.

One thing that I find admirable in this whole mess is that some foriegn aid workers have set up camp out in the open at a care facility in the targeted area where evacuation is not possible in an attempt to protect the innocent.

Oh well that is good as long as they don't carpet bomb it entirely some people might still have half a home to go back to, what a relief. Also though where are they to go? How does a camp out in the open in the targeted area where evacuation is not possible help anyone, being its in the targeted area isn't it in danger of being hit with bombs?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
How does a camp out in the open in the targeted area where evacuation is not possible help anyone, being its in the targeted area isn't it in danger of being hit with bombs?

Unfortunately, it is not too likely to have a major effect unless the building is bombed. If unarmed foreign aid workers get bombed, then what little international support Israel has left will most certainly disappear. But I do think the IDF is well aware of their presence, so maybe a little extra care will be taken. Maybe.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:31 pm

Sad state of affairs when collateral damage means the deaths of children playing on a beach.No childhood for them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Sad state of affairs when collateral damage means the deaths of children playing on a beach.No childhood for them.

Yeah that bit disturbs me some suppose its easier to talk about it when taking the human factor out, though if you think about it the term causalities is also kind of disturbing as there is nothing casual about people getting killed in violent conflict.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 4:51 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWuqC5nEMw[/youtube]

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 3:17 am

After Israel pushes Gaza into the ocean I guess 2 billion Muslims will push Israel into the same place.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 1:55 pm

Several posts have been removed. Please do not resort to making anti-Semitic posts or holocaust denial. Keep the discussion political and humanitarian, not racist.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Several posts have been removed. Please do not resort to making anti-Semitic posts or holocaust denial. Keep the discussion political and humanitarian, not racist.

Not like the damn Dutch aren't bad enough.
I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

opal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 6:39 pm

TallyMan wrote:

It was not anti-semetic. It was not denying the holocaust - it was actually saying it was a horrible thing. What it was doing was pointing out the hypocrisy.