Dog saves a life during a house fire.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 11:18 am

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/07/pit_bull_saves_deaf_boy_from_h.html

Quote:
Pit bulls often get a bad rap. But here's one that just might be a hero: With smoke bellowing into the house from a fire in a garage that soon would consume the entire structure, Nick Lamb, 13, was oblivious to it all.

The Indianapolis boy is deaf with his cochlear implants turned off. And as Nick would later report, he was really tired. Good thing Ace was around.

That's the family's 2-year-old male pit bull, and the keen-nosed dog smelled the smoke.

To wake Nick, Ace licked his face. The boy woke just in time to escape the devastating house fire, according to USA Today.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jul 2014, 11:39 am

Thanks for sharing this, Raptor! Good news for a change.

:thumright:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:29 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, Raptor! Good news for a change.

:thumright:

One of the few soft spots I have is for dogs. :)
Especially pit bulls.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:54 pm

My brother in law was saved from a house fire by his weenie dog,he had enough time to bail out the window.I'm sure he caused the fire,a raging alcoholic,probably dropped a lit cig on the bed.He showed his appreciation to the pooch by dumping it somewhere. :evil: I have never liked that man,in fact,I despise him.
It's a shame some dogs get a bad reputation when it's the owners who are the jerks.When I had my Dobie I got so sick and tired of people saying that Dobermans will turn on their owners and attack them,what a load of BS.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

Misslizard wrote:
My brother in law was saved from a house fire by his weenie dog,he had enough time to bail out the window.I'm sure he caused the fire,a raging alcoholic,probably dropped a lit cig on the bed.He showed his appreciation to the pooch by dumping it somewhere. :evil: I have never liked that man,in fact,I despise him.
There's a special place in hell for people that dump their dogs.

Quote:
It's a shame some dogs get a bad reputation when it's the owners who are the jerks.When I had my Dobie I got so sick and tired of people saying that Dobermans will turn on their owners and attack them,what a load of BS.

At the shelter we had a Doberman that had been dumped. He was a very well behaved dog and one of the easiest to take for walks. He ended up in a going to a Doberman rescue shelter. Dobie's in general seem to be generally well behaved and relatively easy to train. I don't know why people have issues with them. With my pit bull I've actually had people see me walking her and cross the street to avoid contact with her. She was one of the sweetest and gentlest things alive. I'll take a pit or a dobie any day over a little yip-yap dog.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

Raptor thanks for posting this; reminded me there are some good things happening, and changed my attitude just now.
My mom and I rescued a puppy that someone dumped on her property. We ended up owning it for the rest of its life, and it got to live 'the good life' in the mountains. :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 2:29 pm

When my Dobie was around six months old we stopped for gas,he was sitting on my lap and when my ex reached across me to hand the money to the attendant,the guy said"I'm not sticking my hand in there."Jees,he was a puppy.Once when he was grown,he did scare the pee out of some folks on a paddle boat at the lake,I think the water splashing excited him,he jumped in and went swimming after them barking,I've never seen people paddle one of those so fast :D It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.Dobies are very easy to train,mine would let me put a piece of meat on his nose and he'd hold it there till I said ok,then he'd toss it up and catch it in the air.He was smarter and better behaved than most humans.When he was a pup at the vets,a man had a Black and Tan hound in there,it let loose a bay,this impressed my Dobie so much he tried to bark like that when we got home. :D
To this day I'd like to kneecap the SOB that stole him.I hope they burn in hell,nothing lower than a person that steals a pet.
From what I've read some Dobies have been involved in fatal attacks, but the majority were protecting their owners.Thats what they were breed for,to protect.The WW2 war dog memorial has a Dobie on it.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 5:17 pm

any dog can be a monster its all about how its raised
if you dont habituate it to people it will go feral

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 7:27 pm

Misslizard wrote:
When my Dobie was around six months old we stopped for gas,he was sitting on my lap and when my ex reached across me to hand the money to the attendant,the guy said"I'm not sticking my hand in there."Jees,he was a puppy.Once when he was grown,he did scare the pee out of some folks on a paddle boat at the lake,I think the water splashing excited him,he jumped in and went swimming after them barking,I've never seen people paddle one of those so fast :D It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.Dobies are very easy to train,mine would let me put a piece of meat on his nose and he'd hold it there till I said ok,then he'd toss it up and catch it in the air.He was smarter and better behaved than most humans.When he was a pup at the vets,a man had a Black and Tan hound in there,it let loose a bay,this impressed my Dobie so much he tried to bark like that when we got home. :D
To this day I'd like to kneecap the SOB that stole him.I hope they burn in hell,nothing lower than a person that steals a pet.
From what I've read some Dobies have been involved in fatal attacks, but the majority were protecting their owners.Thats what they were breed for,to protect.The WW2 war dog memorial has a Dobie on it.

[img][800:535]http://betterthanideserve.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/wardog1.jpg[/img]

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

I named my Corgi Poncho. :D Besides my Dobie,this is the smartest dog I have ever had.He is a wonderful companion and makes me laugh everyday.He guards the baby chicks,it's adorable.If he hears one peep he goes running to check on it. :D