Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm

Coda wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I remember I got worse too and so did my anxiety and I think my parents thought I was faking it too because they would get mad at me whenever I got upset or had anxiety. I felt abandoned. I figured when I was older it was because they were trying to get their house done being built and we had all just moved in and still were transitioning and still had the other house to clean out to rent out so they couldn't handle me right now. But no my mom said it was because I was acting like a two year old. She also said I was trying to be Asperger's and then she said it was my school therapist doing it. But I remember all those years were hard and 16 was the worst. I also had moderate depression too that year according to my therapist based on a test he gave me. I tie it all down to hormones, teens, depression, and anxiety was why I got worse and that can be hard for someone with ASD.

But I got better again. It was actually relieving to read online about autistic people getting worse because it meant I wasn't crazy or faking it.

Wow, that's bloody awful. My mum sometimes finds it hard to deal with me but she's never accused me of 'trying to be autistic' or something stupid like that, she kind of just gets on with it because she understands how difficult things are for me. I've had depression in the past too, it was just after I got kicked out of my 2nd high school (just after I received a diagnosis) and missed Year 8, a whole year of schooling. For the whole year I was alone and constantly in my bedroom. I also began taking medication for my ADHD but the problem was that they gave me too much of a high prescription and it caused my depression to worsen and... I won't get into the details as that year is still quite personal but let's just say it was a very dark time in my life that I never wish to repeat.

I can't understand how your parents thought/(still think?) you were faking... I doubt someone would be pathetic enough to fake autism/aspergers. Does your mum still think you're 'faking' or what? I really can't understand the concept of your own mother not believing you.

Yes she does. I admit I did use it as an excuse then too because I didn't even try. I thought just because I had it, everyone had to put up with it and I don't have to do anything. I don't have to take any responsibility. That was the impression I got. Then I tried to have ODD (thinking it was a choice kids do) so I could get my way and have an easier life and bye bye anxiety and things are calm and relaxed for me because a boy I knew had it too and he always got his way by being mean to his mother and violent and she always gave him his way because she feared him. But for me it backfired because Mom told me she would send me to a hospital if I hit her again. The kid had been in and out of hospitals too and acted better when his dad was around because he didn't let him get away with that s**t.

I realize now ODD isn't a choice just like being a psychopath isn't a choice either or being a narcissist. It's not like Frankie decided one day "I hate how I have all this anxiety and not getting my way so I think I am going to be an as*hole. I will start screaming at my mother and hitting her and breaking stuff to get her to listen to me and do what I want." Sometimes I feel sorry for these kids because they are like a victim too themselves, victim of their illness. But the kid took pride in it. I just found a shortcut and tried to use it and my family wouldn't allow it so they didn't let me and my mom put a stop to it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2014, 1:49 am

Alyosha wrote:
http://archive.autistics.org/library/more-autistic.html <--- this lists some reasons why it may seem like you're getting 'more autistic'

what your describing is actually something that i have experienced also. for me it was because as i got older people expected me to do more with less support. so where i was able to do some things with a lot of support i turned only able to do very few things because there was only a little support.

Quote:
(Quoted from the article linked above)
. . .
Burnout

Burnout, long-term shutdown, or whatever you want to call it, happens generally when you have been doing much more than you should be doing. Most people have a level to which they are capable of functioning without burnout, a level to which they are capable of functioning for emergency purposes only, and a level to which they simply cannot function. In autistic people in current societies, that first level is much narrower. Simply functioning at a minimally acceptable level to non-autistic people or for survival, can push us into the zone that in a non-autistic person would be reserved for emergencies. Prolonged functioning in emergency mode can result in loss of skills and burnout.
. . .

I relate to this so much.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 6:23 am

I don't know if it's gotten "worse," but as you age (NT and AS), you get more tired/less patient with trying to please everyone else. Your patience for stuff just wears thin.

For people with Autism, it can make "coping" with the NT BS of life harder to manage.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

True, everyone gets worse as they get older. That is why older adults have less patients with kids and get more exhausted when they have to chase them around. My dad's social skills had gotten worse. My grandma got worse too when she started getting Alzheimer's and as it got worse, the worse she got herself. Then I started to wonder if she had always been that way or if it's her disease. It may have been both. There is such thing as second childhood for elderlies.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

University study - Autistic Individuals' facial Recognition Worsens with Age.

http://www.georgetown.edu/research/news ... study.html

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 2:18 pm

Here wrote:
University study - Autistic Individuals' facial Recognition Worsens with Age.

http://www.georgetown.edu/research/news ... study.html

This is very interesting.

League Girl and Coda, I have also been called a hypochondriac all my life. My mom always said that about me.

Wreck It Ralph

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 8:34 pm

My autism haa steadily got worse since I became an adult. I've been originally diagnosed as Asperger's, but recently my neurologist said it's more like classic autism now. Autism can definitely get worse, especially when you're subjected to multiple stressors.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 9:59 pm

- actually much, much less than when I was younger. For me it is a matter of reducing my stress levels. If my stress levels go up so do my autistic symptoms. If my stress levels go down - they drop just as dramatically.