Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 4:20 am

I know the OP video is a bit too ordered. But I think the guy must be trying to show how overload can build up, layer on layer. Or maybe he was trying to cram in as much as he could in one video.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 11:37 am

Kiriae wrote:
It's too orderly. While it is loud it is also predictable, like a music. It is not disturbing because it got a pattern.

I find this video more accurate:
(Be careful, it might really cause a meltdown!)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M20DIK1Yt3A[/youtube]

This is accurate!

I don't know if my noise sensitivity is autism or not but I can say that is most definitely what it sounds like when I am sitting in a resturant or cafe or am out and about in public places. Not so much at home as right now I don't have anything but my computer switched on, I live in the country and the only thing I can hear is the gentle hum of my laptop cooling itself down.

Oh what joy it is to live alone out in the middle of nowhere...it actually has its good points...quiet!! !!

I thought everyone hears like this...does everyone else not hear like this when they are out? I just figured they were better at consciously tuning it out.

I dont flap my hands or hit my head over such things though, I don't need to, I just leave...or if necessary get up and storm out lol. Makes me irritable having to put up with that for too long. People just think I am bad tempered or highly strung.

At worst I get ranty and start talking/moaning/ranting to myself outloud about the f******** noise.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 1:09 pm

Yeah, the audio only video is good. But I think with me the background noises would make it difficult for me to hear what the woman is saying.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 1:36 pm

I have Asperger's so I guess my senses are more mild, but I completely understand how it feels in the second video. I go out to eat with my mother and if all I really hear is our voices things go well, but if it's crowded and noisy with other people talking loudly, or there's loud music playing, babies crying, people coughing, I hear it and it's all I hear. I have trouble hearing the one thing I want to hear and that's my mother. I even have trouble hearing myself talk. I can put up with it but it's not nearly as pleasant. I hear so many things when I go out to do everyday things like shopping for food. I notice the smells, the textures, the lack of personal space in a line-up... and I may express the sheer torture I'm feeling by stamping my foot as hard as I can are banging my head on the handle of my shopping cart. And the strange thing is that I've so many problems with my ears (I'm looking after an ear infection right now), and at one point I had temporarily lost a lot of my hearing and yet I was still very sensitive to noise.

Right now the only sound I'm hearing is coming from my desk fan. It's not very loud, in fact it's quite soothing. I even take naps with the AC on in my living room. Kind of a "white noise thing" that drowns out less pleasant sounds.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 2:03 pm

Wait a minute! The second video only mentions children and is from Autism Speaks! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !! !! !! ! :thumbdown:

steambubble
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

The tapping on the sofa and fabric is moving along with it was spot on for me, I do always tap on stuff with my finger or feet because I want the reaction from that object. Same with that door for dogs, I can really feel the different levels of friction when its moving back and forth. I would say I have a good understanding how different materials react with each other.

But.. its always so hard to understand and compare with other humans. Dont they hear that caralarm och waiter pouring water? I though all did that.. How can they not hear that?

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm

I know I am restating what somebody else already said, but the audio only video is NOT how everybody (normal people) hears things? I thought everybody heard it like that and weret able to tune it out. I do OK with environments like it describes as long as I don't have a conversation going. Throw in a conversation, and things get very frustrating.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 4:10 am

I have cotton wool in my ears all the time these days. And if I put olive oil down my ears, it muffles all sounds.

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2014, 2:14 pm

Hey, OP: I think your video does capture what hypersensitivity is like in a calm environment, even if if doesn't demonstrate sensory overload. I like what you have and think you can keep it, but I'd add a second scene that's more chaotic to show overload. :)

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 3:39 pm

AmethystRose wrote:
Hey, OP: I think your video does capture what hypersensitivity is like in a calm environment, even if if doesn't demonstrate sensory overload. I like what you have and think you can keep it, but I'd add a second scene that's more chaotic to show overload. :)

I didn't make the video, I just got a link to it from the National Autistic Society in the UK.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 7:51 pm

I think it tries to highlight some of the things that are sensory overloading, and it does show how sounds are loud and the same volume, but as others have already said, it is too rhythmical. This is the first video I've seen that shows how patterns seem to move around. But it doesn't "feel" like an overload if that makes any sense.

Here are a cople simulations that I personally feel to be more accurate. WARNING: BOTH VIDEOS MAY CAUSE A SENSORY OVERLOAD AND OR MELTDOWN!! !!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmDGvquzn2k[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcS2VUoe12M[/youtube]

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 9:19 pm

The audio only simulation is pretty good, but there used to be another simulation like that online that was much better. It depicted what a classroom sounds like to a child with ADHD vs a child without ADHD. For the child without ADHD the sound of the teacher's voice was clear and easy to understand, and the background noise was present but was very soft and minimal and never drowned out the teacher's voice. Then for the child with ADHD, the background noise was very loud and drowned out the teacher's voice at times so you could only hear broken pieces of what the teacher was saying. That simulation was exactly like what I experience when I try to listen to people speaking in noisy environments, and sadly I haven't been able to find it anymore online.

The Walmart video is fairly accurate for me, but more intense than what I would normally experience.

What I haven't seen a video depict very well is how disorienting it can be to have other people suddenly appearing or moving around me, or a car suddenly pulling up near me, things like that. One day I was unloading stuff at the recycle bin and a truck suddenly pulled up, way more than 6 feet away from me, but I flinched so hard the driver yelled out the window "I'm not going to run you over!"...which only made me flinch again, lol. I feel like the whole world pitches sideways when anything approaches me suddenly.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2014, 9:28 pm

dianthus wrote:

What I haven't seen a video depict very well is how disorienting it can be to have other people suddenly appearing or moving around me, or a car suddenly pulling up near me, things like that.

Someone should make a sensory overload simulation like the ones they have for roller coasters! :D I think you could simulate something like a car pulling near you with that, or at least better than just a YouTube video.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 7:36 pm

The Walmart video was very effective for me because I work there. 8O Yep...there are many days that are like that. No wonder I'm always in such a crappy mood after my shift. :x I agree that being in a bad mood to begin with does make it worse.

What the video couldn't simulate were the other senses--mainly smell. If I'm stationed near the deli and/or bakery...aagh.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 10:26 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
What do you think of this video. It was made to show how sensory overload affects people with autism.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycCN3qTYVyo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/ycCN3qTYVyo[/youtube]

[Mod. edit: Please note - YouTube video embedding will not work when the URL starts with "https" (this is also true for image embedding).
The URL has been edited from "https" to "http" so that the video is now embedded in the post.
The shortened form of a YouTube URL ("youtu.be") will not work at all, and will need to be replaced by the standard long form. Since this resolves to the same video as the embedded version, it has not been corrected]

Wow, that is genuinely unsettling. It sort of gets the point across, though I can imagine most NTs would still have trouble understanding it.

cpcook111
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm