Unable to think clearly when things get complicated

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

fram
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2014, 6:56 am

Hello,

I am a first-time poster here. I am a divorced father in my 40s. I am not diagnosed with AS, nor am I sure I have it, but I suspect that I at least have something like it. My son, who is so much like myself, was once diagnosed with Pervasive Development Disorder or unknown origin (something to that effect). My girlfriend, who is educated/experienced in special ed, and who has one son diagnosed with AS, feels like I am somewhere in that realm.

For me, things like basic social interaction, employment, and speech have not been a problem. Yes, I can be very geeky, and I have followed some things obsessively in phases (usually, collecting things of my own esoteric interest). But on the surface, I probably appear like a "nerdy-but-also-kinda-cool" guy to a lot people (i.e., not too socially awkward).

Without getting specific at all, I will describe my situation as this: I have finally come to realize that I could use some support because for my whole life, I have been unable to navigate the more subtle and complicated interpersonal relationships and I have routinely hurt those whom I love. I have also seemed to some of my loved ones that I kind of float through life without having (or being able to articulate) my opinions or "vision" of where things should be. I really don't even trust my instincts when I feel something needs to be addressed. Often, I use poor timing with my communication of decisions - I may for example, text someone about a personal matter when my thoughts are really not well formed and I end up saying things that seem clueless or insensitive. Things like finding a good gift that someone I love would appreciate (not just something *I* find interesting) has always been very difficult - though I have been successful here and there.

I don't know if I can really describe it all in this post so I'll end it there. Thanks in advance for any warm welcomes or future advice. Hope I can help other, too.

~f

Last edited by fram on 24 Jul 2014, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 7:48 am

Welcome to the Forum.

You'll find kindred spirits here.

fram
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2014, 8:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Welcome to the Forum.

You'll find kindred spirits here.

Thanks, I hope so. I'd love to know what kind of effective support that others like me have found.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 8:37 am

On WrongPlanet, people obtain support through their own catharsis, through others' catharsi, and through the accumulation of knowledge in general.