Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 1:09 pm

I can't tell when someone is teasing, so I made a rule that I laugh at everything that sounds mean that is directed at me. If they want to hurt my feelings, they think they've failed, and if they were just joking, they think I got it. :P As a kid my angry reaction to teasing caused me to become an outcast and a loner.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 1:19 pm

When people try and tease me I ignore them and then no longer allow them in my space. and if they keep trying to get in my face I will quite aggressively get in theirs to make them wish they had left me alone.

My last boss enjoyed teasing and humiliating me, he learned I ignored him and just blew him off until he started doing it in front of other people, and he felt he could get away with it because I needed his money and his work, what he didn't realize is I got sick of it all and filed to get back on disability just so I wouldn't have to deal with people like him anymore, then I told him to screw off once I was no longer dependent upon him for my income. (there is little work in my area, he had me in a bad position to where I couldnt just quit and find another job, so getting back on disability was about my only option for a secure income.) his excuse for being that way to me was that I was simply to easy of a target to pick on and so he couldnt resist, and that he was trying to teach me to not let such things bother me by battering me with his stiles of humility. I am glad I do not have to work with or around him anymore.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm

infilove wrote:
I try to mess with their heads and bring the source reason of them wanting to do it to the surface -which is always a former of insecurety and fear.

That's even more mean than teasing, I think. Why would you mess with people's heads? Do you want them to end up institutionalized? :(

It reminds me of that T-shirt slogan: "People like you are the reason people like me need Medication." :cry:

Mindsigh wrote:
I can't tell when someone is teasing, so I made a rule that I laugh at everything that sounds mean that is directed at me. If they want to hurt my feelings, they think they've failed, and if they were just joking, they think I got it. :P As a kid my angry reaction to teasing caused me to become an outcast and a loner.

This sounds like it would work really well with peers.

However, if it were a person with authority over you would they not get even more angry if you laughed at them because you thought they might be teasing when they were really criticizing, correcting or reprimanding you?

ASPartOfMe wrote:
... With a lot of male groups or organizations they won't talk to a new person. After a period of time they will say or do something that if taken literally would be described as bullying. In fact it is not bullying but a way of communicating to you that they like you or that they feel you belong.

Ugh. Maybe it's easier being a female Aspie than a male one, then. Of course, with bullying, it could be easier to be male. A boy who gets bullied can gain respect just by beating up a bully or two--or even by showing that he's not afraid of taking it to fisticuffs to settle a dispute. Girls don't do that so much. And when they do, girls fight dirty.

I never was one for physical confrontation. Shamed as I am to admit it, I'd rather kiss the foot of someone who won't accept a verbal apology than have them jump on me and start to brawl. Happened once in middle school. Never forget it.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2014, 1:53 am

The last person who made a point of teasing me I cured by pouring a glass of iced water down his back at lunch. It was very effective - I got the idea from a Mae West film.

Arthur Rimbaud.

antarticanrepublic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2014, 3:44 am

When it comes to friendly banter , it all comes down to how willing are to accept that you are what they say you are....
If what they say is not true then just shoot one back at them. Their judgement is baseless so it wouldnt be wrong if your's is too.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 12:16 pm

I try to avoid teasing anyone at any cost, especially if it's with a partner.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 6:38 pm

antarticanrepublic wrote:
When it comes to friendly banter , it all comes down to how willing are to accept that you are what they say you are....
If what they say is not true then just shoot one back at them. Their judgement is baseless so it wouldnt be wrong if your's is too.

I can't think of any fast enough; especially if my feelings are smarting from whatever they shot at me. :(

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 8:45 pm

My problem is that I have a hard time telling if someone is teasing me or is being serious. For example: Someone might say to me wow I really like your shoes and then walk away and laugh. Were they serious or just teasing me? And if they were teasing me, how was that something to tease about. I think my bright yellow and white tennis shoes are very comfortable and when I walk at night I'm more visible. I really like them, so because I like them should I think they really like them to?

- Edgar Allan Poe -

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 8:46 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
... With a lot of male groups or organizations they won't talk to a new person. After a period of time they will say or do something that if taken literally would be described as bullying. In fact it is not bullying but a way of communicating to you that they like you or that they feel you belong.

Ugh. Maybe it's easier being a female Aspie than a male one, then. Of course, with bullying, it could be easier to be male. .

There are advantages for guys, women are misdiaignosed more, guys can be respected for being the rugged loner, women doing that are viewed as stuck up, overall there is much more pressure for women to be social. But in general a who has it worse discussion is usually destructive for all involved.

LyraLuthTinu wrote:
A boy who gets bullied can gain respect just by beating up a bully or two--or even by showing that he's not afraid of taking it to fisticuffs to settle a dispute. Girls don't do that so much. And when they do, girls fight dirty.

I never was one for physical confrontation. Shamed as I am to admit it, I'd rather kiss the foot of someone who won't accept a verbal apology than have them jump on me and start to brawl. Happened once in middle school. Never forget it

Gaining respect by fighting back is social knowledge I did not have.

As to the original question I reacted to the bullying by having no self confidence for many many years. Understanding why things happened the way it did has been immensely helpful for my self respect and confidence.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 9:15 pm

I hate being teased. People have tried to teach me how to "accept" it multiple times, but it never works. People keep doing it anyhow though, because that's just the NT way I guess.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 12:29 pm

Oh man! When I was little, I would cry and have tantrums when my peers teased and laughed at me. It was also hard for me to tell if someone was joking or not. I assumed that they were just being mean to me. So I would just cry about it.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 6:10 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
My problem is that I have a hard time telling if someone is teasing me or is being serious. For example: Someone might say to me wow I really like your shoes and then walk away and laugh. Were they serious or just teasing me? And if they were teasing me, how was that something to tease about. I think my bright yellow and white tennis shoes are very comfortable and when I walk at night I'm more visible. I really like them, so because I like them should I think they really like them to?

If they walked away laughing they were probably teasing you in a mean way. Especially if they walk back to a group of their own friends: they are making fun of you, all of them as a group laughing at your reaction to a false compliment.

That's very unkind, and I'm sorry to hear that people do that to you. My fashion sense has also always been lousy. I wear what fits me, what feels comfortable to me, and what looks good on me to me, in that order. After that, I might consider what my son or my husband has said I look especially good or not so good in

And sadly, no; just because you like something doesn't mean other people will like it. Tastes differ, and there's no accounting for tastes. However, people should respect one another enough to realise that just because they don't like someone else's shoes or clothes or whatever, doesn't give them the right to tease, bully, or make fun at your expense over it. Neurotypicals tend to respect trends, celebrity imitation, nonsense from fashion moguls and shallow stupid stuff more than they respect eccentrics who do what they like because they like it, though.

To me, liking shoes because they're comfortable makes perfect sense. Keep the shoes, and ignore the laughing twits who are shallow and stupid enough to judge a person based on something as trivial as shoe color/style.