Anyone here with a ASD other than AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 6:11 pm

I was wondering how many other people here have an ASD OTHER than Asperger's.

I have HFA. For years,I just said that I had AS.

-SpaceCase

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 7:07 pm

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when I was 11, and then diagnosed with AS 5 years later.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

polyrhythmia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2007, 7:43 pm

I was diagnosed PDD-NOS in 2003. I had heard that if you were found out to be an autie, they would kick you off this site. Is there anything to that? Certainly, I am much more like an aspie in behavior. And it is rather common for someone diagnosed with autism when younger to "morph" into aspie-like behavior. But isn't Asperger's Syndrome really more or less a better-sounding name for mild autism? Looking at the criteria for both, if you can meet the criteria for Asperger's, you can meet the criteria for Autistic Disorder. It seems that there are criteria hidden between the lines that are used to distinguish Autism from Asperger's.

squaretail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 7:50 pm

I don't have a PDD, but I have two autistic daughters. I *think* they're relatively mild, but not sure. They have delays in language (though catching up), and their social skills are weak. The have some motor skills delays, too. They do have social interest, though, they just don't know how to interact in such a way as to not overwhelm or confuse their peers. They do not have any severe behavioral or sensory issues, and no obvious stims.

The only difference in the diagnostic criteria for AS and autism is that for an AS diagnosis, one cannot have a language delay and the IQ has to be in the normal range (i.e. - above 70). There seems to be a misconception that you have to have advanced cognative and language abilities to be an Aspie, but that's not in the criteria.

Also, the bar for language acquisition for AS is pretty low. One needs only to have single words at two and functional phrases at three. My daughters actually meet that criteria, btw, so it's unclear to me why they're not diagnosed with Asperger's instead of autism, but whatever - it's the same.

Anyway, I doubt they'll kick you off of this site for being merely autistic, as I'm a NT, and they let me hang around (at least they have so far).

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 7:56 pm

polyrhythmia wrote:
I was diagnosed PDD-NOS in 2003. I had heard that if you were found out to be an autie, they would kick you off this site. Is there anything to that? Certainly, I am much more like an aspie in behavior. And it is rather common for someone diagnosed with autism when younger to "morph" into aspie-like behavior. But isn't Asperger's Syndrome really more or less a better-sounding name for mild autism? Looking at the criteria for both, if you can meet the criteria for Asperger's, you can meet the criteria for Autistic Disorder. It seems that there are criteria hidden between the lines that are used to distinguish Autism from Asperger's.

No one will kick you off.There are many here who dont even have an official DX for AS,some are NT and others are HFA.I believe there are even a few who were originally DX LFA but later were changed to AS,so....we are in the same family.Unlike some families I know,I dont think that anyone in this family will kick you off for being different from them(though they may disagree with some of your opinions,we are aloud to be individuals).The only hostility I have seen is towards NT(by some)but even tha is like some African Americans using the term N****r to refer to the negative stereo-types of the "ethnicity" and not a term for people because of their skin color.I think NT is often used as a term for the negative(and often abusive and hurtful)folks amongst the "normals"....but there are plenty of people who would disagree with me.

I dont think they will kick you off unless you are being abusive to other members or spamming.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

squaretail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 8:01 pm

SpaceCase - do you remember what you were like at four, by any chance? I'm assuming you had language delays, given your original DX. Were your language delays only mild? You language skills seem very good, now. I'd like to think that some day my girls will catch up with their language, too :)

How does your autism manifest itself in you now?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:16 pm

squaretail wrote:
I don't have a PDD, but I have two autistic daughters. I *think* they're relatively mild, but not sure. They have delays in language (though catching up), and their social skills are weak. The have some motor skills delays, too. They do have social interest, though, they just don't know how to interact in such a way as to not overwhelm or confuse their peers. They do not have any severe behavioral or sensory issues, and no obvious stims.

The only difference in the diagnostic criteria for AS and autism is that for an AS diagnosis, one cannot have a language delay and the IQ has to be in the normal range (i.e. - above 70). There seems to be a misconception that you have to have advanced cognative and language abilities to be an Aspie, but that's not in the criteria.

Also, the bar for language acquisition for AS is pretty low. One needs only to have single words at two and functional phrases at three. My daughters actually meet that criteria, btw, so it's unclear to me why they're not diagnosed with Asperger's instead of autism, but whatever - it's the same.

Anyway, I doubt they'll kick you off of this site for being merely autistic, as I'm a NT, and they let me hang around (at least they have so far).

The higher IQ is just statistically odd. The actual diagnosis only requires it be normal or above. I guess not many are normal. 8-) The advanced language IS a hallmark. And the age of three isn't mentioned, the age is TWO!

Once person *****BEGGED***** to be kicked off this site! She even tried to create some trouble. She was never kicked off! SOME were kicked off for creating a LOT of trouble, and most were let back on. I disagree with all of squaretails statements regarding his daughters and AS. As I recall, he didn't even expect them to be HFA! But in a year or so they COULD appear to be AS, complete with the better abilities, etc... It HAS happened before. ALSO, there are a lot of people like me. I figure I HAVE to have AS. I won't pay, and take time off work, for a diagnosis though.

BTW Spacecase HAS been very vocal, and I have known for a while she was HFA. I saw no complaints.

Steve

squaretail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 8:27 pm

Hey Steve - this is from the DSM-IV:

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

Like I said, it's a pretty low bar. Most children with only single words at age two would be considered language delayed by most measures.

The little professor talk seems to be a stereotype. Kind of like the high IQ thing. It could be that only the brightest autistic people manage to learn language early enough and well enough to earn the diagnosis, I don't know.

Last edited by squaretail on 28 Feb 2007, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:29 pm

I am PDD-NOS.. it seems you can't be AS with language issues... or at least according to my psych...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:48 pm

Well, I ALMOST bought the DSM, but wikipedias DOES match things I have seen elsewhere...

Quote:
Asperger syndrome is differentiated from other PDDs and from high functioning autism (HFA) in that early development is normal and there is no language delay. It is possible for people with AS to have learning disabilities concurrently with Asperger syndrome. In these cases, differential diagnosis is essential to identify subsequent support requirements. Conversely, IQ tests may show normal or superior intelligence,[1][2] and standard language development compared with the delays typical of classic autism. The diagnosis of AS is complicated by the lack of adoption of a standardized diagnostic screen, and, instead, the use of several different screening instruments and sets of diagnostic criteria. The exact cause of AS is unknown and the prevalence is not firmly established, due partly to the use of differing sets of diagnostic criteria

Normal development is sentences by 2 years.

Steve

squaretail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2007, 8:51 pm

Well, believe what you want, but the DSM-IV is the tool used to diagnose Asperger's Syndrome in the United States, not Wikipedia. I agree, though, that normal language development is more than single words at two. I always thought that part of the criteria seemed odd.

But anyways, this is SpaceCases' thread - sorry to Hijack it, Space!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 8:58 pm

"the little professor talk" Is too common to be just a stereotype. ALSO, Hans asperger used the term HIMSELF!! !! !!

Have you seen some of the words and topics here? ALSO, people get used to dumbing down their speech, and as they get older the language seems to fit better, so it isn't so obvious. Still I, like many here I'm sure, sometimes use a word nobody seems to understand and find I was RIGHT. I also understand a LOT more words than I generally use. When I was younger, it WAS noticed by everyone. People even noticed it in highschool. HECK, on my last contract some people tried to trip me up. I don't know why. One said I was the only one that seemed to understand those words, and he wanted to know why!

Steve

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2007, 9:08 pm

squaretail wrote:
SpaceCase - do you remember what you were like at four, by any chance? I'm assuming you had language delays, given your original DX. Were your language delays only mild? You language skills seem very good, now. I'd like to think that some day my girls will catch up with their language, too Smile

How does your autism manifest itself in you now?

Squaretail, when I was small I was extremely quiet and introverted, and had no idea how to make friends. I found other people interesting at times, but at other times just found them too hard to put up with - too much noise and unpredictableness. As I got older I tried harder to get on with people and resultantly made an effort to talk more, but even now can have trouble giving off the right social cues/judging my voice tone/saying the right thing etc, and can have trouble phrasing things clearly verbally, but not so much that it's overly debilitating or depressing. The best way to put it might be that it only bugs me sometimes.

I'm not sure if your girls are finding it actually difficult to communicate, or are simply not overly interested in doing so at the moment, but as autistic and aspergic children get older many of them do become more communicative. I found typed communication a lot easier for a while - encouraging your daughters to learn to read (don't push them into it, but if they show an interest help them out as much as they want) could help their language development, and if all else fails you might find yourselves writing each other letters when they're older. :)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:38 pm

Squaretail,

I didn't/don't want to hijack spacecases thread either, but I might as well say that I disagree with louise. Do what you can to connect reading with the spoken word, information, and pleasure. If you do, they may BEG you to help them learn to read.

And I wonder if parents get the kind of vicarious pleasure I feel when I hear one of these kids kind of squeal with delight, and exclaim that they can read a book! I guess most don't, but I imagine SOME do. I haven't even heard that in over a decade, but I have heard it several times in restaurants and book stores. BTW that is about the only time I like that squealing!

I think the only kids that can't read are either not exposed, stupid, impaired, or frustrated because nobody can help if it is needed. They probably have the ability to learn it. Expose them to the opportunity, and be there to help, and they may just start to read. If you ask me, that should be one of the first goals after speech. If you do that, and give them some nice books, they may surprise you.

Steve

Cordelia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2007, 9:57 pm

I could communicate okay; however, I didn't know when to. I didn't pick up on the social cues. So, a lot of times...I wouldn't say anything!! ! Do you know why? NO one was asking me questions for me to respond. I understood communication to be like a flow chart. NT's don't do that...they look at it like a splatter gram. five things can interconnect and it's okay.

Somehwere, just within the last hour, someone posted on here what it must be like to be an NT. I so agree with that post. People communicate and don't care what they say. That's so odd....but, it's true. People are okay with nonsense. Took me a while to figure out that one, and I'm almost 40. I just figured it out; whew...I wish someone had clued me in a long time ago. I could never figure out conversation and always wanted to make sure I said the "right" or "acceptable" thing.

I don't know what I am.....Autistic, Aspie, HFA? When I was a kid, I would bang my head on things, hard things, my mom said she was always embarrased when I was little becuase it looked like someone beat me up...on my forehead. I remember feeling the huge bumps on my forehead.

I function really well now, but i really hated going to school and work. In fact, I'm really still uncomfortable in groups. There's so much going on, that I don't get. Although, I like people and want to be in groups. I understand better now; people don't care. They are just out there being goofy; so I'm goofy too and I laugh at myself....and it's okay. People are okay with it; becasue I'm different and I accept me.

It was very lonely as a kid. Your daughters have each other; what a gift. I would talk to them and just talk, and talk, and talk. About nonsense, goofy stuff. Just to teach them, there's no rhyme or reason. It's all okay.

28 Feb 2007, 10:47 pm

I was diagnosed with AS when I was 12 but didn't quite meet the criteria I read and even my own mother has told me I don't have it and then she say I do have it. I think I have PDD. It fits me better. I'm thinking of going for another diagnosis and get I am no longer AS due to my cognitive delays and self help skills.