Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 9:00 pm

Does anyone else here play that game....its an online PC game for people who haven't heard of it. I am not usually one for those kinds of games, never got into WoW, played Runescape on a free account for a bit because my brother kept bugging me about it since he used to play a lot but never really got much into that either.

But somewhat recently my brother wanted me to check out League of Legends so watched him play, thought it looked kind of interesting and made an account to try it, and well still playing it and think its pretty fun. So yeah just curious if anyone here has heard of it or plays it.

shadowpuzzle
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2014, 2:02 am

I started playing a few months ago. I'm not that great, I don't know all the champions yet, but I'm pretty decent at the few champions I have practiced a lot. It's an interesting game, lots of information to master and obsess over. Not too fond of the team element though, having to interact with others in the chat box thing, I only talk if I have to though so it's not too bad. But sometimes you have to play with mean people who yell at you when you mess up.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2014, 3:17 am

been playing for years :/ starting to get bored of it really, same thing every match. Walk to lane, last hit minions, kill the lane opponent, buy items, get shouted at by your team. Literally the same thing game in, game out.

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 7:28 am

JamXmed wrote:
been playing for years :/ starting to get bored of it really, same thing every match. Walk to lane, last hit minions, kill the lane opponent, buy items, get shouted at by your team. Literally the same thing game in, game out.

Might be time to try a new game in that genre.

While I'm still new to the genre itself, I've played a whole bunch of them, and watched matches from that bunch as well, and while I like League, it is by far the most STALE of all of them. Not only to you get only a certain number of champions out of the overall roster actually being used (hell, even WATCHING lots of matches there must still be like 30 characters I've never seen used once), and the actual match flow is equally stale. There's not enough reason to switch things up or move across the map much of the time.... pretty much all of the others in the genre are alot better at this.

And no, I'm not going to say something like "Go play Dota, it's the only REAL moba". I think they're all good in their own way. My personal favorite is Dawngate, actually. But even if I think they're all good, that doesnt stop each of them from having their flaws.... and League's flaw is the extreme staleness.

Anyway, I do play the game myself, I am Enchu on there. So far, I've mostly done support. I do this because others tend to not want to, and doing support means I can save my teammates from themselves, essentially. Which ends up being necessary more than I'd like. But it's satisfying, to abruptly pull a nearly dead ally from the jaws of death, thwarting an enemy in the process.

I am most familiar with Soraka. Cho'Gath is probably my second favorite.

Though yeah, the negativity aspect.... ugh.

And I've found that Dota and League are the really major magnets for that.... the others, while they have jerks, tend to have an amount of jerks that's more akin to most multiplayer games in general (since every genre will have a fair amount of them, without exception). But League and Dota are almost like asshat factories. They just produce them at such an absurd rate. I've heard of players that will go into Dota, and right after everything loads..... they just mute everyone on both teams, and play that way the whole time. They often state it as being "the only way to have fun with it". And I can sympathize. Not something I'd ever blame them for.

I myself never get angry in these, so that's good at least.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 2:17 pm

shadowpuzzle wrote:
I started playing a few months ago. I'm not that great, I don't know all the champions yet, but I'm pretty decent at the few champions I have practiced a lot. It's an interesting game, lots of information to master and obsess over. Not too fond of the team element though, having to interact with others in the chat box thing, I only talk if I have to though so it's not too bad. But sometimes you have to play with mean people who yell at you when you mess up.

I've probably played a couple months, but yeah mostly have been playing the beginner bot match where its vs the computer not other players to try and build up some experience, skill and practice with champions till I am a bit better., haven't had any jerks chat-yelling there so far really. I did try the PvP a couple times when I was just starting and there was some of that, but you can always report players if they are harassing though it does distract from the game which really annoys me. But I hear it can be worse with other games as far as that is concerned, guess that is one problem with these multi-player games though you do get jerks.

I don't really do much chatting, just really when I have to....unless like someone initiated some conversation or something I don't see much to chat about or if someones being an ass I might have a come back, but nothing that I could really get reported for, or to tell them to quit harassing another player because I find it annoying/immature/distracting.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 4:14 pm

I played regularly for about 2 years. My first choice was always jungle, followed by top and then support. I was never able to get the hang of anything else...

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 2:21 am

I've been meaning to try it but I'm nervous if people get mad at me for being new.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 4:16 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
I've been meaning to try it but I'm nervous if people get mad at me for being new.

And sadly, they will. It's inevitable.

Honestly, if you're nervous about having to deal with this sort of thing.... this game and possibly the whole genre are not for you, really. Particularly this game and Dota, as both are notorious for their ridiculously angry and negative and foulmouthed community.

If you want to jump into it, you have to just do it.... and to heck with what everyone thinks. Ignore them. Play at your own pace and in your own way, experiment, and if they dont like it, well, tough.

Alot of them will act like THEY were never newbies and of course knew EVERYTHING right from the moment they fired up the game for the first time, but of course that's a load of crap. ....it's also rather sad, too.

But no matter what, NEVER insult them back or allow yourself to get sucked into arguements or anything. Just dont. Report a player if he/she is being abusive, and then just ignore them.

.....and play unranked. Dont touch ranked until you have a great many matches played. Though I dont think it lets you mess with ranked mode early on anyway.

JamXmed
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2014, 5:51 pm

The thing with this genre is that it has a very large Competitive Community. Because of this, a large amount of the players are deluded with the idea that they'll magically become Professional at the game.

Now, I said i'm getting bored of it but there are just barely any games to play at the moment sadly :/ I do play Dawnguard a little though the so called "No Meta MOBA" thing is a lie... There is a meta... don't be fooled. Also, i've played Dota 2 and the controls just flat out confused me ^.^" lastly, I am getting REALLY into Smite at the moment (as some may have seen from my topic featuring smite) and the 3rd person aspect really does a lot for me ^.^ yes... Agreed that I am more of a FPS/3PS fan and that my gaming skills follow suit there but yeah, I'd say Smite FTW and League is nice when you can play with friends.

I do still play League, anyone from EUW can add me and i'll try to play from time to time. I'm "Repent" formerly "Fiend Roar Deity" and I main Jungle tanks atm (after the dreaded ADC nerfs... why!! !! !! T.T )

(>0.0)> ==)==)==)==)

Vitamin-K
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2014, 6:04 am

I've been playing League for four years. It's a fun game if you enjoy competition, and as others here have pointed out it can get heated in PvP matches.

I am a diamond rated player, and I'd be more than happy to offer you some playtime :) I can either just hang out and rock face, or we can do some light lessons. Up to you:)

I'm at the point where I don't play to be crazy competitive anymore, and just like to have friends to enjoy the game with. PM me on these forums for my username, or send me yours if you want to play!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 10:10 am

JamXmed wrote:
The thing with this genre is that it has a very large Competitive Community. Because of this, a large amount of the players are deluded with the idea that they'll magically become Professional at the game.

Now, I said i'm getting bored of it but there are just barely any games to play at the moment sadly :/ I do play Dawnguard a little though the so called "No Meta MOBA" thing is a lie... There is a meta... don't be fooled. Also, i've played Dota 2 and the controls just flat out confused me ^.^" lastly, I am getting REALLY into Smite at the moment (as some may have seen from my topic featuring smite) and the 3rd person aspect really does a lot for me ^.^ yes... Agreed that I am more of a FPS/3PS fan and that my gaming skills follow suit there but yeah, I'd say Smite FTW and League is nice when you can play with friends.

I do still play League, anyone from EUW can add me and i'll try to play from time to time. I'm "Repent" formerly "Fiend Roar Deity" and I main Jungle tanks atm (after the dreaded ADC nerfs... why!! !! !! T.T )

Yeah, there's ALWAYS at least something of a meta with these games. I think what Dawngate is doing though isnt really avoiding having one, but moreso going for one that is much easier to "bend" than with the others. In other words, more room for experimentation and coming up with your own builds, less of the "play this character JUST like this or they'll break!! !". So far they've done a decent job of this.

And Smite is good, yes. Aint played it in ages myself.... mostly because for quite some time a physical issue prevented me from playing mouse-heavy games, but now I can get back to these, so I intend on doing so in the next few days here.

I know one thing I do like about Smite though: I dont have to click the mouse 7 billionty times. Alot of mouse movement still, but it's less strenuous.

I also like that the developers are truly willing to make even grand, sweeping changes of epic proportions (something the other guys would NEVER do usually) if they think it'll make the game better. THAT is a great mentality for any developer to have. Hell, they just outright scrapped the entire main map and replaced it with a new one at one point (somewhat recent). Among other major changes.

OvnR
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2014, 10:31 pm

League of Legends is a decent game hidden somewhere under excessive marketing BS and a terrible unfriendly community.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 11:39 pm

I prefer Dota myself, which is similar to LoL.

Caelum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

I play all the time with my wife. We mostly play ARAM (All Random All Mid) as that makes it easier to avoid all the jerks. Most people understand if you aren't that great, especially if you get stuck with one of the free champs of the week. We also play the special game modes whenever they come out, as they are often interesting and fun.
I'll never solo/duo Q ranked again, it was too awful when I did it and it brings out the worst in people. I would play ranked on a full team, but I'm not much at recruiting and I don't have many friends. If anyone wants to add me I'm on NA under caelumpanache.
Good luck and stay safe.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:46 pm

It's okay. I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I were actually good at it.