19 Aug 2014, 2:28 am

Yeah, the 80's were the best!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

supercoley1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2014, 3:53 am

Hated eighties music during the eighties :) Those born after need to realise that while you see shows with music and trends and money it was pretty pretty grimy for most in real life (I was a kid but remember how things were.)

The people who moan about cost of living and deprivation and poverty at the moment really do need to take a hard look at themselves because the first half of the eighties (in UK at least) was way way worse than now. There was no moaning about how you couldn't afford to live yet somehow could afford things like mobile phones, games consoles, lovely decorated and addorned houses. People these days live in show homes compared to back then when you redecorated one room every couple of years (i.e. always a room or 2 with 20 year old wallpaper.) So when times were tough you really had to prioritise, not moan about life while paying vodafone another £30 a month for your super dooper this year phone :)

On the music I love it now. I think the reason I hated it during the eighties was because it was quite tinny. This is probs because most of us had piss poor music equipment back then as young children. From the ghetto blaster or radio it didn't sound that great. Once you were at a stage with a decent system and speakers you can actually hear the bass clearly and hear the layering of different sounds. I really like it now because of that. It's really strange that we've gone full circle and people are listening to tinny music through mobile phones and heavily compressed mp3s. Alien concept to me. I wish like the poster above says they would re-introduce that ban on music in public transportation.

For the BUN the poster above r.e. DM. There is a chap on youtube from Spain who plays all the DM and other electro classics on the original synthesisers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5oPM ... L2dRvetOPQ

I think it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I really really got into 80s synth music when I bought some Sennheiser headphones and could really hear all the layering etc. Visage - Fade to Grey is awesome.

Spectrum 48K rules :)

supercoley1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2014, 4:49 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I was born in 1990, but I love the 80s. I think the first 5 or 6 years of the 90s had a lot of the same feel, albeit somewhat diluted. Sine the late 90s things have been pretty bland and uninteresting even if people on average have more money and there's less violence and crime.

Oh you're so wrong there. Both sides of the pond in all genres.

Over commercial production line pop took over the charts in the very late eighties into the early nineties.
The rave and underground scenes took over the techno/house scene.
Grunge and Indie took over the 'poodle rock'.

There was a massive take over of poster boy/rock around 87 - 88 which started dominating the charts. This made what was to come in 88/9/90 much more succesful. People were so peeved with that 'generic nicey pop' that when stuff like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses, Prodigy came around it when mainstream almost instantly. That was a pretty similar thing to when new wave/punk blasted into mainstream. The charts went from garbage to absolutely awesome in the space of a year until the commercial genius' started to roll out that 'alternative style' again :)

I remember the time around 89-94 very well I was 14 in 89 and the music scene in the UK just exploded. Everyone was suddenly going to raves or gigs. Was a really cool time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 12:57 pm

music production styles changed in the 80s, going from an "organic" sound to a deliberately metallic and electronic sound, from mellow to hard-edged. the early years of digital recording had a lot to do with this. this was alien to my ears and it took a while for me to get used to it, like a decade or two.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 3:41 am

supercoley1 wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
I was born in 1990, but I love the 80s. I think the first 5 or 6 years of the 90s had a lot of the same feel, albeit somewhat diluted. Sine the late 90s things have been pretty bland and uninteresting even if people on average have more money and there's less violence and crime.

Oh you're so wrong there. Both sides of the pond in all genres.

Over commercial production line pop took over the charts in the very late eighties into the early nineties.
The rave and underground scenes took over the techno/house scene.
Grunge and Indie took over the 'poodle rock'.

There was a massive take over of poster boy/rock around 87 - 88 which started dominating the charts. This made what was to come in 88/9/90 much more succesful. People were so peeved with that 'generic nicey pop' that when stuff like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Roses, Prodigy came around it when mainstream almost instantly. That was a pretty similar thing to when new wave/punk blasted into mainstream. The charts went from garbage to absolutely awesome in the space of a year until the commercial genius' started to roll out that 'alternative style' again :)

I remember the time around 89-94 very well I was 14 in 89 and the music scene in the UK just exploded. Everyone was suddenly going to raves or gigs. Was a really cool time.

I wasn't really referring to music per se, just the overall style and feel of things. The first two-thirds of the 90s has a lot more in common with the 80s than a lot of people think. 1997, 1998 and 1999 seem pretty similar to 2000-present.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 5:40 pm

Even though my sister and I are both 90s kids, we both love music that was popular in the 1980s.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Sep 2014, 2:22 am

I have an ipod full of 80s music. It's virtually all I listen to today.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 1:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I liked the Chrysler "K" cars :)

I had a Chrysler K car - it was a used police vehicle (figure that one out :D ).

Yah - the 80's were pretty good and more than a bit strange in their own way. Lots of good music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 1:55 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I liked the Chrysler "K" cars :)

I had a Chrysler K car - it was a used police vehicle (figure that one out :D ). Yah - the 80's were pretty good and more than a bit strange in their own way. Lots of good music.

yes, lots of small towns and the US military used 'em for ages.