Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 12:08 am

Actually, evolution and religion are both lies, we exist purely as figments of our own imaginations and our world does not exist.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 2:56 am

salad wrote:
No where in the bible is evolution even hinted as being scientifically feasible. God's iq>>>>>>>>>>>>>yours you arrogant ignorant human. God created the universe, such a complex intricate machine. You'd be lucky to be even able to create a bicycle.

The bible is mythology. Evolution is a fact, it is happening, it is true. However you choose to handle the fact of evolution is your problem - you can bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn't true but you are just deluding yourself. Oh, by the way, in case you don't know... the earth isn't flat and the Sun doesn't revolve around the earth.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 3:35 am

TallyMan wrote:
salad wrote:
No where in the bible is evolution even hinted as being scientifically feasible. God's iq>>>>>>>>>>>>>yours you arrogant ignorant human. God created the universe, such a complex intricate machine. You'd be lucky to be even able to create a bicycle.

The bible is mythology. Evolution is a fact, it is happening it is true. However you choose to handle the fact of evolution is your problem - you can bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn't true but you are just deluding yourself. Oh, by the way, in case you don't know... the earth isn't flat and the Sun doesn't revolve around the earth.

I want to explain TallyMan's remark in case you think he was just pulling it out of his arse. More than one verse in the Bible clearly teaches the earth is flat when one applies the same principles of interpretation used by those who quote the Bible to argue against the demonstrable reality of evolution. Also, it was only a few hundred years ago that the official position of Christianity insisted the sun goes around the earth instead of vice versa as we now know. Again this was based on a literal reading of certain passages in the Bible. Eventually the weight of scientific evidence forced religious leaders to admit they had been wrong about that, so that observable reality is no longer challenged.

Evolution is in that place now with respect to religion (mainly in the Bible Belt of USA and also some fundie Muslim areas of the world) where the heliocentric solar system was a few centuries ago. In other words, it is an observed fact of nature that conflicts with a literal interpretation of some parts of Scripture. As the Catholics have said recently, truth cannot contradict truth. That's what I say too: if evolution ISN'T true then the fundies are calling God a liar even if they don't realize that is what they are doing.

Those denominations who continue to insist evolution doesn't happen will eventually fade into obscurity as lunatic fringe crackpot cults. Either that, or if enough people are dumb enough to believe the lies and distortions told by fundies (of whatever religion, not just Christianity) about this matter, we may see humanity go back to the Dark Ages.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 4:32 am

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
Evolution is in that place now with respect to religion (mainly in the Bible Belt of USA and also some fundie Muslim areas of the world) where the heliocentric solar system was a few centuries ago. In other words, it is an observed fact of nature that conflicts with a literal interpretation of some parts of Scripture. As the Catholics have said recently, truth cannot contradict truth. That's what I say too: if evolution ISN'T true then the fundies are calling God a liar even if they don't realize that is what they are doing.

The Catholic Church recognised evolution to be true for the last 60 years and most other denominations of Christianity also do too. It is just these fringe fundamentalists that continue to deny the truth. The evolution deniers increasingly make themselves look increasingly ignorant and stupid by flying in the face of the face of what is observably real.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 5:55 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
What about QM many-worlds theories ? If all possible universes exist, so must exist all the variant creationist versions as well.

That means there exists a universe where the creationists are right. How do you know this is the universe where you are right, and creationists are wrong ? Your "evidence" by infinite possibility may be placed there by aliens and you are falsely interpreting it. Do you disregard other scientific theories if they disagree with your preferential theory ?

sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

He is not talking about 'other universes'. He is talking about Earth (which is part of this universe). In this universe the evidence (collected in this universe about this universe) all points to evolution being right (in this universe).

There might be other universes which are made entirely of green cheese, inhabited by real life versions of the horsies in My Little Poney. You can postulate about them, travel to them, and bring us back the evidence for them, and BG wont stop you. But what does that have to do with what BG is talking about?

This universe may be the 1 / infinite possible universes where the fossils came from aliens who dropped off different species at different times, and "evolution" did not take place. Rather just like creationism, at some point they relocated humans to this planet. Mathematically, the Many-worlds theory tells us that such universes exist, so what is his "evidence" that this is not one of the those universes, or does he pick and choose which science theories to believe in ?

I can think of many other possible scenarios where this is the universe of creationism.

So aliens from another universe conspired to punk us out into THINKING that there was evolution (by planting fossils) when there was not evolution? Kinda like that little green man who follows you around all of the time, but who disappears every time you turn to look at him (and whom everyone in your life is in on the conspiracy to deny that they see him walking behind you?)?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:06 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
I like this evolution theory thing. It can be wrong though. Of couse evolving exists. It would be soo wrong not to think so. My universe is constantly changing. I am in a constant state of flux. But we evolved from pigs, not monkeys. Monkeys are stupid. Pigs are much smarter. And then there is the age old question. What came first. The chicken or the egg? Still yet an unanswered evolutionary question.

Answers please.

The egg preceded the chicken, as chickens evolved from earlier egg laying animals.

Yes- the first "chicken egg'( ie an egg capable of hatching a domestic chicken)was laid by a prehistoric chicken-like bird that hadnt yet quite evolved into a chicken. In fact the first domestic chicken egg was probably laid by one of the last saber toothed chickens!

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So aliens from another universe conspired to punk us out into THINKING that there was evolution (by planting fossils) when there was not evolution?

I wouldn't put it past them. Either that or God created fake evidence of evolution just to test our faith.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:27 am

Humanaut wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
So aliens from another universe conspired to punk us out into THINKING that there was evolution (by planting fossils) when there was not evolution?

I wouldn't put it past them. Either that or God faked the evidence of evolution to test our faith.

That would make such a god rather an evil prankster wouldn't it! Especially given that all the evidence points towards evolution being true, not only the fossil record but the DNA evidence too.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:29 am

That's what God (or the aliens) wants us to think.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:32 am

Humanaut wrote:
That's what God (or the aliens) wants us to think.

They must be rolling in the aisles laughing then if that's the case! :lol: Pranked humanity again, LOL, what can we trick them with next... :P

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:33 am

We can pretend to believe them.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:35 am

Humanaut wrote:
We can pretend to believe them.

Ah, but are they expecting us to see through their ruse or not? So should we believe them or pretend to believe them or pretend to disbelieve them or really disbelieve them.

:chin:

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 6:40 am

TallyMan wrote:
...are they expecting us to see through their ruse or not?

I wouldn't put it past them.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2014, 8:03 am

yournamehere wrote:
I like this evolution theory thing. It can be wrong though. Of couse evolving exists. It would be soo wrong not to think so. My universe is constantly changing. I am in a constant state of flux. But we evolved from pigs, not monkeys. Monkeys are stupid. Pigs are much smarter. And then there is the age old question. What came first. The chicken or the egg? Still yet an unanswered evolutionary question.

Answers please.

Pigs are smart, but chimpanzees (our closest relations) beat them hands down. Genetics and anatomy also both point to humans being mostly closely related to great apes.

The egg pre-dates the chicken by a long way.

GregCav wrote:
It's true pigs are closer to humans that monkeys. And we get a lot of organ doners from pigs because we are compatible with them. Pigs are also the only other animal that can catch the common cold.

While there is a lot written about evolution. I don't believe it's ever been demonstrated yet, (ie; not proven).

I do not believe it has been tested which animals can catch human "colds". Pigs and humans share some influenza viruses, but this is not uncommon - human also share influenza viruses with birds (remember the Avian flu scare?).

Pig hearts are transplanted into humans because they are about the right size and they are plentiful. Pigs are very common and have this habit of dying all the time, whereas chimps are rare in the West and don't die nearly as often. Pig hearts are frequently rejected, which is why there is such a strong push to develop human hearts from cell cultures and why human donors are so highly sought.

Evolution has been proven.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

Humanaut wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I wouldn't put it past them. Either that or God created fake evidence of evolution just to test our faith.

I've also heard the idea that Satan had planted the fossil record in order to mislead the faithful!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2014, 11:26 am

The_Walrus wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

Answers please.

Pigs are smart, but chimpanzees (our closest relations) beat them hands down. Genetics and anatomy also both point to humans being mostly closely related to great apes.

The egg pre-dates the chicken by a long way.

GregCav wrote:
It's true pigs are closer to humans that monkeys. And we get a lot of organ doners from pigs because we are compatible with them. Pigs are also the only other animal that can catch the common cold.

While there is a lot written about evolution. I don't believe it's ever been demonstrated yet, (ie; not proven).

I do not believe it has been tested which animals can catch human "colds". Pigs and humans share some influenza viruses, but this is not uncommon - human also share influenza viruses with birds (remember the Avian flu scare?).

Pig hearts are transplanted into humans because they are about the right size and they are plentiful. Pigs are very common and have this habit of dying all the time, whereas chimps are rare in the West and don't die nearly as often. Pig hearts are frequently rejected, which is why there is such a strong push to develop human hearts from cell cultures and why human donors are so highly sought.

Evolution has been proven.

Plus, where is the fossil record showing intermediate pig-humans? There are in fact a series of fossils, such as Australopithecus, that share characteristics of modern humans and more primitive primates.