Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,672
Location: Cleveland, OH (and not the nice part)

31 Jul 2014, 10:36 am

So out of all the pressing matters in the US and in the world, apparently the most important thing for the House of Representatives to take care of before their long August break is to give the go ahead for suing the president. Not immigration or the border crisis, not the economy, not Russia or Syria, not Gaza/Israel, not poverty, not problems with the ACA, not looking for a permanent solution to the VA problems, not wage disparity, gender discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination.


_________________
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" -Nietzsche


Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,390
Location: Norway

31 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

So, they've given up on that birth certificate thing, then?



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,253
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

31 Jul 2014, 11:18 am

:roll: :shrug:


_________________
Welcome to hell, this is the end.


simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,200

31 Jul 2014, 11:28 am

They need to maintain the outrage. They convinced angry rural voters that Obama is a criminal but know that they can't Impeach him because their rhetoric is nonsense. A suit keeps the rhetoric flying without achieving anything.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,253
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

31 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

simon_says wrote:
They need to maintain the outrage. They convinced angry rural voters that Obama is a criminal but know that they can't Impeach him because their rhetoric is nonsense. A suit keeps the rhetoric flying without achieving anything.


Helps keep the people divided though...or distracted from real issues.


_________________
Welcome to hell, this is the end.


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,690
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

31 Jul 2014, 1:26 pm

Decades ago, Congressional Democrats had tried to sue Nixon over his illegal bombings in South East Asia - and the courts said they weren't going to cross the boundaries of the two other branches of government, and so rejected the case. Unless the right wing element of the Supreme Court holds ideology over rule of law, I expect the same ruling in this case.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,186

31 Jul 2014, 2:10 pm

Seems to me that all recent presidents (at least since I've been following politics) have implemented policies in some situations via executive actions rather than laws passed by congress, at least in terms of directing the federal government what to do. I understand that the current political opposition does not like it, but nor too did the opposition in place when past presidents have done these things. I guess what I'm getting at, is, is there anything Obama has done via executive action that is somehow, fundamentally, less legal / more illegal that what every other president has done?



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,690
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

31 Jul 2014, 2:32 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
Seems to me that all recent presidents (at least since I've been following politics) have implemented policies in some situations via executive actions rather than laws passed by congress, at least in terms of directing the federal government what to do. I understand that the current political opposition does not like it, but nor too did the opposition in place when past presidents have done these things. I guess what I'm getting at, is, is there anything Obama has done via executive action that is somehow, fundamentally, less legal / more illegal that what every other president has done?


For Obama, probably less so. But you wouldn't know that listening to the right's lunatic fringe.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,983
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

31 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/30/house-approves-lawsuit-against-obama-over-alleged-abuse-executive-power/
Since the OP was remiss in stating what this suit is over, I went and found the story. Of course, in good keeping with conservative tradition, I made sure the source was Fox. This suit isn't going anywhere so no need to sweat it.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Decades ago, Congressional Democrats had tried to sue Nixon over his illegal bombings in South East Asia - and the courts said they weren't going to cross the boundaries of the two other branches of government, and so rejected the case. Unless the right wing element of the Supreme Court holds ideology over rule of law, I expect the same ruling in this case.
Oh, you mean when Nixon (R) tried to end the war that Johnson (D) got this country into but wouldn't permit us to win out of fear of angering the hippies and his comrades in the Kremlin?


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,966
Location: Riding on a Dragon

31 Jul 2014, 5:19 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
So out of all the pressing matters in the US and in the world, apparently the most important thing for the House of Representatives to take care of before their long August break is to give the go ahead for suing the president. Not immigration or the border crisis, not the economy, not Russia or Syria, not Gaza/Israel, not poverty, not problems with the ACA, not looking for a permanent solution to the VA problems.

Obama also knows about these but the only response received is from the oval office answering machine because he is always "busy" dining in $20,000 per plate fundraiser dinners with his rich friends.



Last edited by AntDog on 31 Jul 2014, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Jul 2014, 5:33 pm

Obama's lawlessness should be a concern to everyone, the presidency usurping more and more power and it will never give it back regardless of who is office. Don't let our country become a boiled frog. Obama is a war criminal and murderer, he's done more than enough to impeached and removed from office a hundred times over but partisan politics does not uphold the law and it wouldn't matter if it did since person next in line as alway just as bad if not worse. I believe the same about Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Nixon, LBJ etc. One long line of ****.

That is one of the worst things about our democracy is these fixed terms, it gives these politicians the power to act with impunity, the damage is already done before they be removed and punished which more times than not they never do.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,690
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

31 Jul 2014, 6:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/30/house-approves-lawsuit-against-obama-over-alleged-abuse-executive-power/
Since the OP was remiss in stating what this suit is over, I went and found the story. Of course, in good keeping with conservative tradition, I made sure the source was Fox. This suit isn't going anywhere so no need to sweat it.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Decades ago, Congressional Democrats had tried to sue Nixon over his illegal bombings in South East Asia - and the courts said they weren't going to cross the boundaries of the two other branches of government, and so rejected the case. Unless the right wing element of the Supreme Court holds ideology over rule of law, I expect the same ruling in this case.
Oh, you mean when Nixon (R) tried to end the war that Johnson (D) got this country into but wouldn't permit us to win out of fear of angering the hippies and his comrades in the Kremlin?


The point here has nothing to do with Nixon's strategy; rather it's about how one branch of the government can not overstep into the realms of the other two branches. The Democrats discovered that about trying to sue Nixon, and hopefully the Republicans will learn the same about trying to sue Obama.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,983
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

31 Jul 2014, 6:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/30/house-approves-lawsuit-against-obama-over-alleged-abuse-executive-power/
Since the OP was remiss in stating what this suit is over, I went and found the story. Of course, in good keeping with conservative tradition, I made sure the source was Fox. This suit isn't going anywhere so no need to sweat it.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Decades ago, Congressional Democrats had tried to sue Nixon over his illegal bombings in South East Asia - and the courts said they weren't going to cross the boundaries of the two other branches of government, and so rejected the case. Unless the right wing element of the Supreme Court holds ideology over rule of law, I expect the same ruling in this case.
Oh, you mean when Nixon (R) tried to end the war that Johnson (D) got this country into but wouldn't permit us to win out of fear of angering the hippies and his comrades in the Kremlin?


The point here has nothing to do with Nixon's strategy; rather it's about how one branch of the government can not overstep into the realms of the other two branches. The Democrats discovered that about trying to sue Nixon, and hopefully the Republicans will learn the same about trying to sue Obama.


Uh huh. Just a coincidence that you tossed the Nixon / Vietnam thing in there, eh?
Like I said, that lawsuit ain't going nowhere. Typical capitol hill posturing and sabre rattling.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,548
Location: US

31 Jul 2014, 7:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/07/30/house-approves-lawsuit-against-obama-over-alleged-abuse-executive-power/
Since the OP was remiss in stating what this suit is over, I went and found the story. Of course, in good keeping with conservative tradition, I made sure the source was Fox. This suit isn't going anywhere so no need to sweat it.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Decades ago, Congressional Democrats had tried to sue Nixon over his illegal bombings in South East Asia - and the courts said they weren't going to cross the boundaries of the two other branches of government, and so rejected the case. Unless the right wing element of the Supreme Court holds ideology over rule of law, I expect the same ruling in this case.
Oh, you mean when Nixon (R) tried to end the war that Johnson (D) got this country into but wouldn't permit us to win out of fear of angering the hippies and his comrades in the Kremlin?


The point here has nothing to do with Nixon's strategy; rather it's about how one branch of the government can not overstep into the realms of the other two branches. The Democrats discovered that about trying to sue Nixon, and hopefully the Republicans will learn the same about trying to sue Obama.


isn't it the other branches job to keep to the others in check. so if one over steps shouldn't the other two step into the realms of the other branch . o.O

from what I've read Obama appointed a person despite the law saying he has to get congress's approval. By appointing the person without them he broke the law, so shouldn't something be done?



TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060

31 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm

Just more political posturing to throw onto the campaign ads next time around.