Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

khaoz wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Does anyone recommend a book on the subject?

If you could go out and buy a standard college ruled spiral notebook and open it to the 28th page you will have at your hands the complete essence to Zen Buddhism.

What I think i figured out out from reading a book Chuck Norris wrote about it, is that it's the ego-less state that tends to come when you become proficient in a subject, right? I wish I was in that state all the time. I have to interact with people, and they kill it. I might not be talking about the same thing as Zen. I think I am.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 4:17 pm

I don't have much respect for anything said by Chuck Norris, and I don't think he is right about that either. I am reminded of lines from the tao de ching, those who say do not know and those who know do not say. The difficulty is that language cannot be used to communicate direct experience. Also that our biology and our society (and to some extent even the grammatical structure of the language we think in) conditions us to perceive the world a certain way, but reality IS, and sometimes what is isn't really the way we think it is because of our thoughts twisting and distorting it.

What Zen teachers do is find what their students hold on to as bases for their reality, then they ruthlessly strip those away by revealing how hollow and false those bases are. Then the student will be left with nothing but what is. Whether or not the student realizes this is never certain. Some think you have to go through years, decades or according to some philosophies even lifetimes of study, prayer, meditation or other practices to achieve enlightenment. The beauty of Zen is that theoretically it can happen instantaneously. The joke is once one achieves it, one realizes it was there all along!

It is impossible to teach Zen and anyone who claims they can is a fraud. However, to learn more about it Alan Watts is a blast to listen to. Check out some of the videos on YouTube that feature Alan Watts talking about anything. He spoke on many subjects but is best known for educating western audiences about eastern philosophies including Zen. Some Zen practitioners say Alan Watts did not teach Zen; he taught Alan Watts. Still he is a blast to listen to!

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 4:26 pm

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
Alan Watts is a blast to listen to. Check out some of the videos on YouTube that feature Alan Watts talking about anything.

I'm more interested in his talks on nothing.

elephantgirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2014, 7:26 am

yes, meditation is really really helpful when you get the hang of it. As a beginner, you might find workshops especially helpful. If the zen center is too far for you, have you looked up other options, like Shambala and Kadampa and more casual new agey ones? I probably tried about five teachers before I hit on one workshop that made absolute sense to me. That was just a temporary class, so now I'm checking out these temples near my house...

From my own experience, I feel that having guidance with my practice helps get me out of my own obsessions and presuppositions. Although books can be great, working with a teacher will help you bring your practice a step further and bring a lot more fullness into your practice.

You don't have to go every day or even every week for it to be helpful. If the zen center is so far away, you could consider going just occasionally on the dharma talk days for inspiration. I have a pretty turbulent home life, but after I went to the center the other day, I really have a different perspective on things. Maybe something about my energy or attitude has shifted because this week has had less conflict than usual, and I feel less in the old rut. But more importantly, I feel really content and inspired and humbled.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 10:10 am

These days my favorite is U.G. Krishnamurti, he died a couple years ago. Really the best anti-guru I've ever read.

http://www.well.com/user/jct/

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm

elephantgirl wrote:
yes, meditation is really really helpful when you get the hang of it. As a beginner, you might find workshops especially helpful. If the zen center is too far for you, have you looked up other options, like Shambala and Kadampa and more casual new agey ones? I probably tried about five teachers before I hit on one workshop that made absolute sense to me. That was just a temporary class, so now I'm checking out these temples near my house...

From my own experience, I feel that having guidance with my practice helps get me out of my own obsessions and presuppositions. Although books can be great, working with a teacher will help you bring your practice a step further and bring a lot more fullness into your practice.

You don't have to go every day or even every week for it to be helpful. If the zen center is so far away, you could consider going just occasionally on the dharma talk days for inspiration. I have a pretty turbulent home life, but after I went to the center the other day, I really have a different perspective on things. Maybe something about my energy or attitude has shifted because this week has had less conflict than usual, and I feel less in the old rut. But more importantly, I feel really content and inspired and humbled.

:D :D :D :D :D

For those who do not have direct access to a Zen master, like you, they have created this site to help you

http://www.zenforuminternational.org/viewforum.php?f=32

go to the ASK A TEACHER section

Be well.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 3:00 am

Misslizard wrote:
Look into an empty glass.

I do that a lot.
Then I get another beer.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 9:13 am

^ :lol:

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 9:21 am

+1

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm

I've been interested in Jainism recently. It's a fascinating religion but I don't think I can practice it. It's very strict and demands a lot of sacrifices and discipline.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 5:48 pm

Stannis wrote:
khaoz wrote:
Stannis wrote:

If you could go out and buy a standard college ruled spiral notebook and open it to the 28th page you will have at your hands the complete essence to Zen Buddhism.

What I think i figured out out from reading a book Chuck Norris wrote about it, is that it's the ego-less state that tends to come when you become proficient in a subject, right? I wish I was in that state all the time. I have to interact with people, and they kill it. I might not be talking about the same thing as Zen. I think I am.

The scene from "The Last Samurai" sticks in my mind here....."too many mind."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZ7skXTs-E[/youtube]

and this...is zen in action [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDmBtNrC5Lc#t=165[/youtube]

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

khaoz wrote:
Stannis wrote:
khaoz wrote:
Stannis wrote:

The scene from "The Last Samurai" sticks in my mind here....."too many mind."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZ7skXTs-E[/youtube]

and this...is zen in action [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDmBtNrC5Lc#t=165[/youtube]

second video......joy......to watch mastery is a privilege

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 12:53 pm

Guys, I have found a zazen group about an hour from where I live. They have meetings twice a week where they meditate for an hour or two. When going to something like this, what would be etiquette that I should follow?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Guys, I have found a zazen group about an hour from where I live. They have meetings twice a week where they meditate for an hour or two. When going to something like this, what would be etiquette that I should follow?

I think that different zazen groups are pretty diverse regarding etiquette. A zen center usually has specific guidelines, but I think with a zazen group, for first visit, just wear something loose and comfortable, but not revealing or distracting, and basically just follow the lead. They will notice you are new to the group and probably ask some questions about your zazen experience before beginning the session. They will guide you in the proper direction. I hope you enjoy your experience.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

Here is a nice photo of a ceremony at the retreat center I went to.I'm somewhere in the crowd :D

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm

nyxjord wrote:

Feel free to ask them, they will likely be happy to advise.

Otherwise, approach them with sincerity, openness, and respect ---- one will never go wrong with that approach.