Does anyone else have trouble tying knots?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

I'm trying to shorten a cable, specifically the one on my Xbox 360 controller, by following this guide, but I just can't wrap my head around it. http://www.instructables.com/id/USB-Cor ... /?ALLSTEPS When I was younger I never learned how to tie my shoes properly either, and I ended up just inventing my own way of tying them. The way people showed me just did not make sense.

Is this a normal autism trait? Can anyone here help me shorten my cable (non-destructively, of course)?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 10:34 am

I don't know if it's an autism trait, per se.

I'm not very good with knots, either.

My feeling about tying shoes: As long as you achieve the desired results, who the F--- cares about the methodology used to achieve the results.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 10:56 am

I am great with knots. I know at least 10 knots off the top of my head.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:25 am

I didn't learn to tie my shoelaces until I was 17.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm

I do have some difficulties with it. I couldn't tie my shoelaces until age 12, and during sailing camp (years ago) the knot tying part was incredibly frustrating.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 12:39 pm

I don't know how long it took me to tie my shoes, but mostly I am terrible with knots. I once sat by a nine year old for an hour while he showed me a simple knot he knew and then said over and over, 'Now you try!" And I did, failing to the end.

Strangely, I do well at untying knots.

The one you show the video of I do know because it is also a good way to fold up extension cords and I used to have to do a lot of that. It is a good one to know, IMO.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 12:44 pm

I don't even know if I can tie a Knot. I think I must have tied them at some point.

As for shoe laces, I never tie them. I just shove then inside my shoe.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm

I'm not very good at tying knots.

I didn't learn how to tie my shoe laces until I was about 12 because the tying process and sequence confused me and threw me off.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2014, 3:45 pm

Yes, having trouble tying knots IS a normal Aspie trait! So is having trouble learning to tell time on a clock face, and many other things.
I had a VERY hard time learning to tie my own shoes, or tell time, either. Neither concept made any sense to me (at least not for a L-O-N-G time!)
I was fortunate enough to have parents patient enough to work carefully and doggedly with me until I got most things at least close to correct.
When it came to tying knots, my dad carefully and slowly showed me how several were supposed to be tied. (I really miss him- he passed away years ago). I learned shoe- tying from him, as well as square knots and slip knots.
Hope this helps to answer your questions! :D

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm

JWS wrote:
Yes, having trouble tying knots IS a normal Aspie trait! So is having trouble learning to tell time on a clock face, and many other things.
I didn't know that about the time and the clock face, being an Aspie thing. That would explan so much. I really couldn't grasp that until the end of middle school, even the extra lessons didn't make sense.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:24 pm

I don't remember how old I was when I learned to tie my shoes. Probably 7 or so. I remember my mom having to dress me, but I am not sure how old I was. I still have a hard time with buttons, especially if they are small. I can button buttons and tie laces, but it is not exactly easy. I rarely untie shoes, l just shove my foot down in the still tied shoe.

I just bought a new pair of shoes with no laces, they have elastic bands over the top.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:58 pm

I can't tie my shoes either. The only knots i tie are ones I don't want like my ear buds cord.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 12:28 am

Wouldn't having trouble tying knots be tied into difficulties with fine motor skills which I believe is a trait of ASD?

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Aug 2014, 1:58 am

I was always falling over as a kid due to trailing shoelaces, and even now they won't stay knotted. Its embarassing having your husband tell you to tie your shoelace as if you were five!

Arthur Rimbaud.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 2:48 am

Somehow, I started fiddling with the cord on my controller earlier on, and I sort of figured out the technique they were showing in that tutorial. Granted, mine isn't perfect and it looks kind of messy, but I managed to shorten my cable, and that's what I wanted to do in the first place.

gertie1999
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2014, 7:40 am

Yes!! I'm 15 and STILL Don't know how to tie my shoes or knots in general!