Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 1:39 pm

RushKing wrote:
Dungeon Synth

I like it. :D I wonder if Diablo's soundtrack would count as an example of dungeon synth music.

Apologies for the gory video thumbnail.

Cathie Marie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

Opera is one that many people hate, especially operas by Richard Wagner. I like opera and I love Wagner's Ring (yes, Brünnhilde with the Valkyrie helmet). Wow takes a whole weekend to watch the whole thing and I'm crying at the end, it's the end of Wotan (Odin) and the Norse gods. Instrumental classical seems popular in countries other than mine (USA); here it seems that it's not well-known and if it is, concerts are often attended by patrons so they can be seen by others. It is the same for opera. There are those who really like it and are unpretentious too, though. I like classical too and it is hard to find people who would enjoy performances with me. I am not the University's School of Music age and the students in music most sincerely enjoy it. Opera performances shown at our movie theater simulcast from the Metropolitan Opera performances in New York are populated with white-haired people.

Herald sad and trumpet be,
To whose sound chaste wings obey.

But thou shriking harbinger,
Foul precurrer of the fiend,
Augur of the fever's end,
To this troop come thou not near!

Here the anthem doth commence:
Love and constancy is dead;
Phoenix and the turtle fled
In a mutual flame from hence.

So between them love did shine,
That the turtle saw his right
Flaming in the phoenix' sight;
Either was the other's mine.

Threnos (eulogy):
'Beauty, truth, and rarity,
Grace in all simplicity,
Here enclosed in cinders lie.

To the phoenix and the dove,
Co-supremes and stars of love,
As chorus to their tragic scene.

Leaving no posterity:
'Twas not their infirmity,
It was married chastity.

Truth may seem, but cannot be:
Beauty brag, but 'tis not she;
Truth and beauty buried be'

-Highlights from my favorite poem by Shakespeare, The Phoenix and the Turtle [dove], thought by some to be about Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Devereux (2nd Earl of Essex). In any case it is allegorically about the death of an ideal love.

ASD, unofficially on online tests: 38 of 50. I don't function well. The huge impact on my life affects me more than "38". "Other" confounds and compounds, as well as expectations from others who can't see it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 3:56 pm

beakybird wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Psychedelic rock, it is absolutely amazing but do not think it is very 'popular....same with metal, though there is stuff that is not metal that the media will describe as metal. If they have an award for the catagory of 'best current metal band' for music awards chances are the award would not actually go to a metal band.......probably some metalcore, or some kind of core or screamo sort of stuff.

I dunno, your boys Ghost just won the Grammy for Best Metal.

Until those sorts of things actually recognize that not everything with electric guitars and drums are the same style of music, there will always be bands that don't belong together competing for the same award.

True, I imagine I must have posted that comment before that occurred....though I still don't think they are the 'best' metal, but for the purposes of the grammy I think they were a good pick.