Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tehtactics
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2014, 1:27 am

Good afternoon everyone.

My name is Darren and I am currently a student at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) in Australia. This is in the middle of the Central Business District of a large city. I have noticed in my short time studying here that my studies are actually somewhat impeded by the lack of a quiet area with a little personal space due to my sensory sensitivities. I don't think I am the only one. So I have decided to ask the administration for the use of one of their rooms to turn into a sensory sensitive friendly area where people with difficulties like mine can find a little peace and study effectively.

Unfortunately I believe the sensory sensitivities to be one of the lesser known issues we have to deal with and I don't believe my ideas and suggestions alone will convince anyone to give my proposition serious consideration. So In my e-mail to the relevant people I am planning to include a link to this thread and it is my hope that they will find people in support of a sensory friendly area. I want them to know that this will benefit someone other than me. That this is something worthwhile.

If you can take a second to offer a sentence of support that would be enough. If you could take slightly more than a second I would like to ask you to write out how your sensory sensitivities affect you and how a sensory friendly area would help you I would be very grateful.

I will start by sharing my own experience. I am primarily touch and taste sensitive. I live quite far from my place of education. Over an hour away by public transportation. On most days I have to get up quite early and take a bus and a train to get to school. I am on the same carriages as hundreds of people heading off to work in the city. It's crowded. More likely than not I am touching 2 or 3 people at once due to the lack of room. As I am touch sensitive I find this to be quite exhausting, anxiety inducing and sometimes sickening. On occasion I have had to leave a train in order to avoid illness. By the time I get to school I am already tired and have endured a bit of an ordeal. I crave quiet but unfortunately a lot of the places reserved for peace like the library are almost always near capacity. We have diligent students. A sensory friendly area will let me breathe and relax whilst I study.

Thank you for your time!

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 2:26 am

Well something I think should influence the decision is that not just people with Asperger's have sensory problems. People with ADD and ADHD also pretty commonly have problems with sensory stimuli that make it difficult for them to concentrate, and ADHD tends to be somewhat common. Many colleges and universities have rooms like these specifically for that purpose.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 5:25 am

Sounds like transportation is the main issue with you. There are residential colleges in Parkville close to RMIT that will offer you a quiet location to live while you are studying. They are expensive though. An alternative would be to flat nearby if you know somebody to share with you. The problem requesting a sensory quiet room from the administration at RMIT is that they might not have one available and then the availability of such a room would depend on demand from others wanting a room.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 9:03 am

If I were to be one of those making use of this room, one of my needs is that it should be away from a roadway. The sound of traffic rushing past is one of my sensory issues that really bothers me. I can't think straight and can't concentrate near the constant noise of motor vehicles.

Another is that the room or area is large enough for everyone not to be having to sit very close to each other. Physical space and distance from other people helps me think more clearly. When strangers are in physical proximity to me, I feel less calm and less clear-headed. Maybe a distance of five or six feet between seating. It's a lot to ask, but at least an attempt at avoiding crowding would be good.

LOTS of natural light from large or many windows, if possible. Natural light and lots of it streaming in is soothing to me. I don't like to be in a walled or windowless room, or even a room with windows but small and few. Lots of windows.

If possible, also, windows with a pleasant view rather than a view of a wall, trash dumpsters, crowds of people, a busy area of campus. A garden or square or fountain or trees.

Pleasant, ambient lighting, rather than harsh overhead fluorescents. When natural light fades, lots of lamps -- wall mounted, standing lamps, table lamps rather than a cold light. I find the light of many lamps soothing rather than the light from overhead sources.

A rule of no loud conversation, and a strict rule against phone use -- no calling, no texting, no receiving calls -- switch off your phones in this space. People talking and laughing would be distracting to me. Have a rule of keeping things quiet in terms of phone use and people chatting with each other similar to churches, libraries, the movie theater.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 12:59 am

I will certainly advocate for the beneficence of such a room as that. Often, sensory overload pushes me towards serious meltdowns that can only be contained if I'm in a dark, silent area away from all stimuli (except for proprioceptive pressure, ie weighted blanket) and especially human contact. Sensory problems, especially sound and light, can be irritating and distracting at a minimum, to downright painful and anxiety-inducing at worst. Even just having a quiet space to unwind before sensory issues become a problem can massively increase productivity and resistance to offensive stimuli. Trust me, sensory issues are very real, and they are one of the worst things (in my experience) that autistics have to deal with.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

tehtactics
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2014, 7:37 am

Quote:
Well something I think should influence the decision is that not just people with Asperger's have sensory problems. People with ADD and ADHD also pretty commonly have problems with sensory stimuli that make it difficult for them to concentrate, and ADHD tends to be somewhat common. Many colleges and universities have rooms like these specifically for that purpose.

You are quite right Holmes. This is not just a problem for those on the autistic spectrum but this is the forum I am most familiar with which I know is frequented by people with sensory issues. If you have any suggestions as to other forums I could try I am more than happy to listen.

Quote:
Sounds like transportation is the main issue with you. There are residential colleges in Parkville close to RMIT that will offer you a quiet location to live while you are studying. They are expensive though. An alternative would be to flat nearby if you know somebody to share with you. The problem requesting a sensory quiet room from the administration at RMIT is that they might not have one available and then the availability of such a room would depend on demand from others wanting a room.

Indeed my problem is primarily public transport but changing my place of residence closer to RMIT is not really feasible at the moment. Such accommodations are expensive and I am currently living with my partner (and love of my life) who may not want to move. I am fairly certain I am not the only one in a situation similar to this. I would not be requesting a room with a time slot. This room will be dedicated to this purpose. My proposition is of course dependent of whether a room is available but it is better to inquire than not.