Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Sigh, I get that stuff too. Perfectionism didn't make any closer to being perfect, just more self-critical. And the guilt, so much guilt. And indecisiveness? Often I can't decide between doing two things and I end up doing nothing even though doing nothing is more harmful than doing either of the two things.

Another way my brain tries to trick me (BTW, my brain hates me), is when I have a series of tasks to do, I end up doing the least important one first. I'm trying to get more useful stuff done and less fun stuff, like video games but I often get to the end of the day and realize I didn't do anything fun or anything useful. A wasted day by any measure. At an earlier time in my life, it was my goal to beat video games and yet I procrastinated those. If it was my goal to play a video game before midnight, I wouldn't start 'till 11:00AM. Even playing a video game seemed like too much effort.

I can relate to all that, too.

-Perfectionism only paralyzes me. It doesn't make whatever I do perfect at all. I sometimes consciously tell myself that things don't have to be perfect in order to release myself from that paralysis.

-I also end up doing neither of them, when I can't decide between two things to do. I somehow illogically seem to think that choosing the "wrong" one of the two is very bad, which is not true. I also sometimes wait until one of the options is no longer available because of a time limit etc, which is pretty stupid, too.

-I often do the less important tasks first. I think it's because less important tasks can be done kind of casually and there's less pressure. So I can do them more comfortably. Important tasks put too much pressure on me and I hesitate to start doing them.

-When I become seriously interested in something, it starts feeling like a "task" rather than fun and I actually start avoiding it. I think it's the combination of the perfectionism and the pressure I mentioned above.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
And one of the biggest problems for me is when there's a few different things I need to work towards but I end up concentrating on only one of them (not necessarily the most important one) and then I'm kicking myself because I didn't work on any of the other things.

I tend to be like that, too. It's very hard to divide my concentration for different tasks. I tend to want to focus on one thing until it's done. Only then, I can seriously start doing others.

I don't know if your mind works like mine, but the symptoms/problems seem to be very similar.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2014, 12:49 pm

Yes, I'm reading wp instead of studying.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 5:57 pm

OK I am back to make a statement now, but errr, hold on, I forgot what I was going to say, OK ill get back with you later on this.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
I will tell you about my procrastination problems later.

It's really bad for me.

Real funny. :D

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 9:53 am

Procrastination is my middle name and I plan to do something about it.
I make plans for another type of plans.....while my old plans lie there on the table, ready to join plans, that came before them, so there will be space for the new plans, when they become the old plans.....

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 10:36 am

Jensen wrote:
Procrastination is my middle name and I plan to do something about it.
I make plans for another type of plans.....while my old plans lie there on the table, ready to join plans, that came before them, so there will be space for the new plans, when they become the old plans.....

Cool but don't spend too long making a plan, that's usually where I foul up.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm

Yeah, I procrastinate. I'll tell you more about it later.