Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

dsvoboda
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2014, 7:51 am

Hi,

I am someone passionately devoted to machine learning. I am working on studying up on all the fundamentals and know C++, Java, Python. Anyone else here do or like Machine Learning?

Daniel

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2014, 1:45 pm

It's something I'm definitely interested in taking up once I have enough free time.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 2:20 pm

I do a lot of this. I don't know a lot of languages, though. But I know C++ ( and C++11 ) quite well. And a bit Java. I kinda want to try to learn the basics of assembly so that I can understand the output of a compiler, but I haven't gotten started on that yet.
You also try to learn about data structures and algorithms ( very handy to know in job interviews as well as in general programming )

I also enjoy learning about how a computer works. From the lowest level of 1's and 0's to the operating systems and how they work. I find it all very interesting.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 3:13 am

I do it on a casual basis for a bit of fun. I've started learning Python but I also like programming on retro computers like the VIC-20, Amiga and Atari ST.

I'm not sure if it's accurate to call it programming yet. It's mostly browsing through books and doing exercises here and there.

DreamingCloud7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2014, 5:12 am

Did an undergraduate course on machine learning earlier this year, implemented genetic algorithms and basic neural networks in Java, it is definitely an area I want to pursue further.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 5:20 am

Why aren't you learning R?

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Sep 2014, 6:12 pm

I used to be interested in machine learning - specifically, support vector machines, since I liked their mathematical rigor. I read most of a book on support vector machines. I attend a workshop on mathematical learning theory (I forgot exactly what the phrase is), PAC learning and that sort of thing. There's a whole new branch of mathematics about it. I think Stephen Smale (of Smale Horseshoe fame) switched from dynamical systems to mathematical learning theory.

I didn't actually DO much with it, such as programming. I didn't have anyone to work with, and insufficient knowledge and background to conduct research. So I gave it up.

Someone else mentioned R. It's free and great for stats, so I'll bet people use it in machine learning. You'd have no trouble picking it up, given your background.

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2014, 3:59 am

I had no idea what machine learning was until I saw this thread.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2014, 4:22 pm

I just remembered the mathematical buzzword/buzzterm(?) for the analysis of machine learning: "statistical learning theory". The American Mathematical Society Notices ran an expository article on it some time in the last 10 years, which might not sound great to you but probably is the best of its kind unless it's been updated. You can probably find it for free by looking on Google Scholar and searching using the obvious keywords.

DRzero wrote:
I used to be interested in machine learning - specifically, support vector machines, since I liked their mathematical rigor. I read most of a book on support vector machines. I attend a workshop on mathematical learning theory (I forgot exactly what the phrase is), PAC learning and that sort of thing. There's a whole new branch of mathematics about it. I think Stephen Smale (of Smale Horseshoe fame) switched from dynamical systems to mathematical learning theory.

I didn't actually DO much with it, such as programming. I didn't have anyone to work with, and insufficient knowledge and background to conduct research. So I gave it up.

Someone else mentioned R. It's free and great for stats, so I'll bet people use it in machine learning. You'd have no trouble picking it up, given your background.

arjay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

I want to learn machine learning too since it goes beyond rule based programming, which is beginning to become routine work. Wish I had more time to learn them. By the way, could be Prolog language be a good language to start for machine learning or AI?