Finding work in a different state.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm

I am constantly fighting the urge to quit my job right now. I made the mistake of getting too close to coworkers. This includes letting one coworker drive me to and from work since I would take the bus otherwise. I've discovered I can walk to my workplace in less than thirty minutes, so I've voiced my preference to do this in the mornings. I would like to walk from my workplace to home when the workday is over. However, right now it is too hot, and if I choose to take the bus, my coworker will probe. I'm rather irritated by work drama and I'm bothered by the fact that things are getting too lax while at the same time, work and expectations keep on piling up. Questions about what I did the past weekend or what I do in my free time annoy me and I'm tired of lying about where I go or who I see around holidays, as I am (willingly) estranged from my family.

There is also the issue of feeling inadequate and unaccomplished at my work because of where I went to college. There was recent talk of us being enveloped by a bigger entity, which means new management and standards. While I am capable of the things I am tasked to do, I apparently don't have a commensurate degree (AKA a Master's) and quite often, I am asked by those we work with as to why I am not going to school while working. It may sound pathetic, but I cannot work a full time job and go to school full time as well, as others claim to. Doing well is very important to me, and if I did both, I don't think I could do either very well. I think in the very likely situation that we are to join the bigger entity, I will be fired because of a lack of a Master's, or the reputation attached to where I got my Bachelor's. I thought this stuff wasn't supposed to matter but sadly it does.

I'm in the process of applying to law and graduate schools. Given that I am applying early, I hope to know what school I'm attending by March or April, at the latest. However, I agreed to stay until August of next year but the longer I stay here, the more distressed I feel. I know it's probably not exponentially better in whatever state I find myself in next year, but I feel like I'm going nowhere and of course, I feel like a loser. Sometimes I wonder whether it's me that's the problem or the characteristics of the industry in which I work in.

So I guess what I'm deciding is what jobs can I do that are different, yet require the same skills I use at the job I have now. I do data entry, analysis, and report-writing, mainly. And event coordination but I'm not going to elaborate further. Maybe I shouldn't make a decision about changing jobs until it's certain we're being enveloped, or umbrella'd?

I did secure someone I felt was qualified as a therapist. I see that person on Saturday. Maybe things can more easily be sorted out then.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 4:08 am

MatchingBlues wrote:
I'm in the process of applying to law and graduate schools.

Don't waste your time with law unless you love being a salesman. That law degree will close way more doors than it will ever open.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 7:17 am

Why are you so worried about being fired if you want to leave the job anyway?

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2014, 7:54 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Why are you so worried about being fired if you want to leave the job anyway?

I would rather leave willingly with something already there to replace the job than having to explain why I'm fired, if I'm being fired for what I think will happen. For the past year it's been expressed that there's really no reason for me to have a position there because I don't have the formal degree you would think one needs, so why allot money in the already constrained budget for someone who at the outset isn't qualified for the job?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 8:25 am

If they do lay you off, you can collect unemployment for a year while you go to school. A win! But I know it is very stressful to be fired. I don't think any future employers would hold it against you, if your job performance was good (in a job you supposedly weren't even qualified for!) and you lost it because of a company re-org.

As the weather improves heading into fall, you should be able to tell your coworker "Thanks for all the rides you've been giving me! I'm trying to get more exercise so I'm going to be walking to work for a while." They won't be offended that you don't want to ride with them, but understanding of your desire to be physically active for your health.

When you know which grad school you will be attending, you can scout the job situation there online via Craigslist and Indeed.com. Also be sure to check the university's employment website--working on campus is a lot easier than commuting back and forth to school and work.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2014, 10:41 am

If you are comfortable where you are at and are performing well, I wouldn't sweat that you don't have a masters degree or aren't continuing your schooling. Going to school and working full time would be an utter nightmare for me too. Let your work speak for itself and if the new company feels you aren't a good fit, stick it to them at the unemployment office. For now, try not to worry about what you cannot control.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2014, 6:06 pm

Thank you very much for the advice, arielhawksquill and mattschwartz01. I will express my want to walk home in the way that was suggested (I don't exercise as much as I should anyway).

Thank you for the reassurance regarding the job situation. We're undergoing a lot of changes and things can be overwhelming and intimidating. The idea of re-organization wasn't seriously considered a month ago. It has all seemed to happen out of the blue, but I am just going to focus on doing well for now, rather than worrying how to prevent things I can't control.