Is Difficulty Relating to Others an Aspect of Alexithymia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2014, 4:11 pm

During therapy this week something occurred to me. I told my therapist about this notion of two warring halves of myself, one logical and the other emotional. I feel much more in control in situations when I rely more heavily on the cold, calm, logical side. It feels more 'adult' or 'mature' to me. If I look to my emotional side it appears 'childish' and 'chaotic.' I often feel like I have to use my logic to keep my emotions in check more often than not.

Now I don't know if I have an ASD or if I am alexithymic, but I do believe I have limited /low emotional maturity/intelligence. That's when the thought occurred to me that 'most' people are likely the opposite. Much more forthright with their emotions and relying less in hard logic. Could this be the reason I have such a difficult time relating to and connecting to others? Maybe because I have such a disconnect in understanding my own emotions it causes me to be unable to connect with others as well.

So, what do you think? Am I on to something here? Anyone else relate to feeling like this?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 8:23 pm

I think you are onto something. I can relate. Emotional intelligence is low for me. Everything is an intellectual exercise. I see how it makes it hard for people to connect with me. I also feel like it is a wall between me and other people. I don't really feel anything. I'm not emotionally connected to anybody.