Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm

Hey Gang,

I got a call form vochab this afternoon and they want to move my case onto the next step which with be work evaluation they told me that goodwill will be handling that when I asked my vochab case manager more details she didn't know what it entails soo naturally my question is for those whom went through goodwill for their work evaluation what exactly did it entail? Am I expected to short though their inventory or do remedial things in order to prove that I am able to work?

At this point gang I am taking classes for my GED (which I enjoy) I have found that despite having Autism I suck at math so I want to focus more on my education which I have always swept to the side and prepare for college later on. I'm not totally convinced that the state vochab will help me find and/or secure a job at a local TV station for the job that I would like (Master Control). However, I have informed them that I would be willing to work my way up if I should start in programming or mail room/receptionist at a local network. Again I have a feeling that they will recommend that I work in a warehouse or a mcjob flipping burgers which I may loose my cool because of the time I wasted on them.

So getting back on topic what can I expect from Goodwill will it be of any real help or will they tell me the same crap that I already know?!

Last edited by JoelFan on 03 Sep 2014, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 4:30 pm

JoelFan wrote:
[...] Am I expected to short though their inventory or do remedial things in order to prove that I am able to work? [...]

Probably.

JoelFan wrote:
[...] I suck at math [...]

Ditto

JoelFan wrote:
[...] I'm not totally convinced that the state vochab will help me find and/or secure a job[.] [...]

Put the period there.

JoelFan wrote:
[...] local TV station[...]

Do these even still exist?
What's their future?

JoelFan wrote:
[...] I would be willing to work my way up if I should start in programming or mail room/receptionist [...]

This never really seems to happen except in movies.

JoelFan wrote:
[...] work in a warehouse or a mcjob flipping burgers [...]

In my area, one should be so lucky. But I get your point and ditto.

JoelFan wrote:
[...] will they tell me the same crap that I already know?!

Probably this.
It's hard to find geniuses to tell us something new & helpful.

At least Voc Rehab is paying attn to you and trying to do something for you, to the best they can figure out.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 5:30 pm

1401b wrote:
JoelFan wrote:
[...] local TV station[...]

Do these even still exist?
What's their future?{/quote]

Yes, Tho a few stations have migrated to central casting meaning more then one area network is being controlled by one station in another. There will always be a need for someone in Master Control to oversee what is being broadcasted what feeds are being sent/delivered and being in compliance to various federal laws. As for local Television? As cable/satellite rates increase people have been cutting the cord in favor VOD services (Netflix Hulu etc) there has also been a shift to OTA being that most networks are broadcasting in HD for free and are also offering multicasting of specialty networks such as Antenna TV METV Get TV Movies! etc. There is some uncertainty regarding the spectrum buy back from the Fcc & how that will affect local broadcasters. However, I don't see local Television dying out anytime soon.

1401b wrote:
JoelFan wrote:
[...] I would be willing to work my way up if I should start in programming or mail room/receptionist [...]

This never really seems to happen except in movies.

Lets hope there's some exceptions to that rule.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 9:22 pm

what's wrong with a whearhouse job? they pay good. about the same I'd make being a mechanic.

idk i have a degree in automotive, but I can't do that, she wants me to do something related to it, but is open to what I want. shes been very helpful. I got one that had been doing this for a long time and is good at it though.

my last person at vocrhab stoped helping me when I went to school. told me voc rehab can only help people looking for work soon not those seeking education.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 9:10 am

sly279 wrote:
what's wrong with a whearhouse job? they pay good. about the same I'd make being a mechanic.

my last person at vocrhab stoped helping me when I went to school. told me voc rehab can only help people looking for work soon not those seeking education.

In general there's nothing really wrong with a warehouse job the thing is I've already been down that road it just seams stereotypical ya know we'll stick the handicap person in a warehouse maybe pay him a buck above the min wage and that will be his career likewise with doing a job for a non profit such as goodwill we'll get somebody whom has a problem working and we'll get him or her to fold clothes and take it out.

I don't want to sound like I'm demeaning anybody's job whom may have those job(s) on this board but for my case I don't fit in that mold I am able to work in an office environment and I do have general knowledge of how broadcasting works. I personally believe if giving a chance in such environments I would excel I feel that I have much to offer but nobody will find out if they stick me in a warehouse job or do some other remedial work just because I am Autistic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 9:31 am

I believe you'll be excellent within a broadcasting environment--that's your special interest, right?

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 9:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe you'll be excellent within a broadcasting environment--that's your special interest, right?

one of 2 my friend!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 9:46 am

Can't forget the Piano Man, right?

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 12:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Can't forget the Piano Man, right?

That is correct!

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm

Just a minor update I called a local goodwill to find out what exactly their "work evaluation" entails and yes I would have to short though their inventory and/or do remedial things they will see what ethics I have in order to prove that I am able to work ho-hum. I wonder if I should just kick these people to the curb and just redirect my attention to my education and when the time comes sign up with a temp agency. Hell I don't even shop at goodwill!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 10:16 pm

part of work is doing stuff you don't like. this may be one reason they do these evals. if you can go to work every day and do something that you hate, it hows work effort. every place wants work effort so showing you have it when you do something you hate means that you're be even better when doing something enjoyable.

I certainly did not like packaging tea bottles, but it was only for a month.

really it's your choice, but its probably a way to see if someone will put in effort or if voc rehab would be wasting their time. no use helping someone who doesn't want to work. I do agree that it sucks. I did it once for a week, even worse for me cause I don't like germs/.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 5:11 am

I understand what you are saying but it's not even relevant to the field that I am trying to get into. I have a feeling that they will tell me that I'm best suited for retail work or a mcjob now if they were to have tested me on word processing or something more relevant I would be more receptive. I have a feeling that this is going to be like high school all over again doing remedial things for a company and going nowhere in the meantime.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 7:07 am

I agree.....it seems demeaning this Goodwill thing.

But do it UNTIL you could get a Temp gig.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 2:44 am

it's just a short assessment. but you could demand another one if it is available. do note thought the places who do free assessments, are generally going be jobs like that. do you expect a tv station to do assessments for disabled people. they thought is probably oh no they f**k s**t up. people don't understand what it means to be disabled or rather that its different for each person.

the place I went to is a packaging place. most people who work there are disabled, they put together stuff. or put stickers on stuff or prepare mass mail. they get paid per item packed so like 10-20 cents per thing. which may seem bad to people like us. not everyone who goes through voc rehab is high functioning. anways my person said that the client can requrest a differen option or even a different counselor.

really did not like shrink wrapping tea for 3 weeks. and at the end I was happy to be done with it. but the place said I was a great working and should be able to be competitive. also it might not be just doing that, good will here has other jobs too. I worked at SVdpals the first time i did voc rehab. I did appliance repair, food box place, janitro, building mattresses, building funitrure, packaging at a glass works. at the one I just did i did mostly the tea, but also grinding steel, 2 house engraving, I helped make a batch of some health powder stuff. they should take you on a tour to help you decide if its for you. that's what I did.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 2:21 pm

sly279 wrote:
it's just a short assessment. but you could demand another one if it is available. do note thought the places who do free assessments, are generally going be jobs like that. do you expect a tv station to do assessments for disabled people. they thought is probably oh no they f**k s**t up. people don't understand what it means to be disabled or rather that its different for each person.

A TV station prob not. Hell, I'd probably won't even step foot into one until I am in college if they assess me for word processing filing stuff or general office work I would excel because I have prior experience in that field.

sly279 wrote:
the place I went to is a packaging place. most people who work there are disabled, they put together stuff. or put stickers on stuff or prepare mass mail. they get paid per item packed so like 10-20 cents per thing. which may seem bad to people like us. not everyone who goes through voc rehab is high functioning. anways my person said that the client can requrest a differen option or even a different counselor.

If I am to do any labor for them even if it's for voc I will tell them I want be paid the minimum wage if not I walk I'm not wasting my time to for them to see if I can stuff mass mail or put shiny stickers on something which will prob be ripped up when the person receives it for pennies on the dollar.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Sep 2014, 11:18 am

I had my assessment this past Thursday and I was surprised, no shocked, at what the employment counselor recommended to me. Despite having tons of experience in Information Technology, she basically, no pun intended, steered me to truck driving. My first reaction was that no way I would be driving a truck. She explained that the money is good and I wouldn't have to be working in an office and the career field is in demand. To say that I wasn't thrilled initially is an understatement but, in order to continue to receive services, I have to play the game by their rules. So, she set up an appointment for me at the local community college that has a CDL A program.

On Friday, I went to meet one of the instructors from the program and we actually walked out to one of the training trucks. He was a decent sort of guy and surprised me by telling me to get in the driver's side. So he proceeded to give me a quick introduction and explain that this would be a real easy and basic assessment to see if I could handle it. I have a manual transmission car but I've never sat behind the wheel of anything so big. He was pretty calm, jovial, and even funny. He had me place my foot on the brake, disengage the parking brake, throw it into first gear and get it rolling around the parking lot. So I let the clutch out according to his instructors and felt the truck start to move. I felt like a kid on a thrill ride. This little tooling around the parking lot was a lot of fun. Basically, he wanted to see that I could make some nice easy turns safely and come to a safe stop using air brakes. After a few laps around the parking lot, I really wanted to "take this baby out on the road." With a big grin he said, "I think you'll make it. Most of my students get job offers on the second week of school. By the end of school, 99.5% are employed."

So, the next class forms up in two weeks and I'm going to become a truck driver! Never thought for the life of me that it would be so much fun. Sitting up high you get a command view of the road. So, the instructor gave me a sign off sheet to drop off back at Vochab and the counselor even said that she thought I would like it. She said that most people she has sent in that direction went on to success. I have to say that being able to wear shorts or jeans and a tee shirt to work is also appealing. I've always hated the typical office attire. The shirts always felt kind of scratchy and I HATE wearing ties.