No 63%  63%  [ 30 ]
Yes 19%  19%  [ 9 ]
It depends on the restaurant 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 48

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 6:53 pm

i've noticed how happy waiters are all the time and i don't think i could pull that off. i know that waiters aren't constantly happy but the social interaction would be hard as well.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

paranoid_android
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2007, 6:56 pm

Not a chance.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 7:17 pm

Just carrying the food would be difficult for me.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 7:43 pm

Not really. Just bring me the beer, Miguel!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Mar 2007, 8:07 pm

I was a waitress, back in my twenties, and I was able to do it. It was easiest on slow days, but when it got busy, I started to get overwhelmed, especially when I had to work with another waitress. Especially if that other waitress was competitive and mean. (One accused me of "taking" all the customers). But the tips were great, since a lot of the customers had been out drinking and had the munchies. :lol:

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 8:27 pm

Waiting tables is the epitome of "not my thing". I have done it at a couple restaurants and while I liked it at times, like when it wasn't busy, the stress of social interaction on top of high paced work and multitasking, I would not recommend it to a person with aspergers syndrome. Last time I worked was last summer at a 4 star restaurant, the rational being that it is an easy way to make lots of money. Well I am glad I have finally realized that I will never work at one again. I used to blame myself lots for being a bad worker or bad at social skills, but now I realize I had just been picking a job I don't excel at.

Once I forgot to charge someone for an expensive bottle of wine and another time I dumped a glass of ice tea on a lady. They then demoted me to busboy. No hard feelings, they told me I was a hard worker, but I just wasn't getting it, and most people get if in a few days of training, I had been there two weeks and was still a bad waiter.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2007, 10:11 pm

Balancing food, acting happy, small talk, hot plates, loud rooms, tons of people, sore feet...

No way.

Also the pay can be pretty bad at times, but notice that's not one of my primary concerns.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 12:32 am

Absolutely not. More food would end up on the floor than in peoples' mouths and I am useless at being all nice, polite and smiley wiley, ick.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

04 Mar 2007, 12:37 am

OMGpenguin wrote:
Balancing food, acting happy, small talk, hot plates, loud rooms, tons of people, sore feet...

No way.

Also the pay can be pretty bad at times, but notice that's not one of my primary concerns.
cool screename haha 8)

Leporidae
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2007, 12:48 am

ARGH! I voted wrong x.x

Anyhow, it would be a no. I don't think keeping my arms up very long while holding a platter full of food would make me very happy at all. Besides, I might get a bit too hungry and eat the food myself if they don't want it :P

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 1:03 am

NO WAY. I would constantly have to be on my feet, it'd be hard remembering which table is which and who ordered what, and I won't even get into the whole crabby customer thing! Plus since I'd always have to be standing up and walking around, I'd start blacking out a lot and maybe faint since I'm hypoglycemic. So being a waitress isn't exactly the best job for me.

Enigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2007, 10:09 am

In a word no. It's definitely a job for the NT's,it's all about communication and tact and saying the right thing in the right way.
And as for the actual waiting I haven't got the patience.It's so not my sort of job.

konyannah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2007, 10:46 am

I used to run a cafe and while it didn't involve waiting as such there were aspects of it that I loved, I think waiting would be good

in my view I can be good at anything I put my mind to, AS/NT whatever - if there's a set of skills to be learned then generally I can do it and do it well

serving people is good but I would defintitely be more interested in the aspects of serving them in the right order, efficiently, without a long wait, clearing the tables promptly, bringing the bill when they ask for it etc as opposed to the social interaction bit

I hardly ever go out for a meal without being annoyed by the awful service, it really wrecks the whole thing for me so to have a chance to show how it should really be done would be good

until I got bored and wanted to do something else, of course

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 10:52 am

No, I don't think I would be a good waiter because I don't like to interact with people.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 10:36 pm

Yes.

I am one, and have been for over three years.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 11:03 pm

Don't know. But I think I'd be good at working at the McDonalds drive-thru.