Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 10:09 pm

Does anyone have trouble with using the phone to talk to people? I realize that every time someone asks to talk to me on the phone, I will completely flip out. I meltdown and everything. This is very difficult because sometimes people are very relentless and don't understand the challenge those poses for me. My parents try to explain to them about my special needs, and they INSIST they need to talk to me or ask permission to talk to my parents themselves. It's just so bad that my mom puts it on speakerphone so I can give them permission that way.

I've never really figured out why I freak out over this. I used to have no problem talking on the phone with someone. It started when we first moved here after I turned 18, I think. The first memory I have of this was when my dad got a call about someone wanting to talk to me and I just... can't deal with it at all.

So, anyway... I was wondering if there's anyone out there who is like this? D: I feel as if I'm the only one that deals with phone anxiety every single day.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 10:18 pm

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I am terrified of talking on the phone. The only people I can call without rreaking out are my parents. There are rare occasions when I can talk on the phone for a long time with someone, but most of the time I get anxious and frustrated when I end up needing to be on the phone. Many times when my cell phone goes off I just don't answer even if it's my mom calling because I simply cannot handle it.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm

I have, at several occasions, in the past traveled considerable distance (1+ hour travel) to speak with somebody in person because talking on the phone makes me uncomfortable. I have missed many medical referrals and other opportunities because I didn't want to make a phone call to schedule an appointment. I often rely on email communication when a phone call would have been a much quicker, easier, and reliable method. I just don't like to talk with people on the phone unless I'm very comfortable with them.

kaedatiger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2014, 11:09 pm

I absolutely dread phone communication. It's caused me to put off setting up important appointments on numerous occasions. I can usually answer the phone if it's important, though.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:15 pm

you're never alone LOS. (nice avatar!! i have a vinyl figurine of fluttershy!)

sometimes i really wonder just who the heck my phone number used to belong to. i get calls and texts every day from across the country, some of them think my name is gillian. i've blocked plenty of numbers but others keep coming. most of the time i ignore them, but i sometimes 'play along' with anonymous texts...hehe.

i'm okay with talking with my parents on the phone, they're the only ones who call me anyway. my dad can be a bit brash, he butts in when i'm in the middle of a sentence and i can't tell when to start. texts and email are much better.

strangers too, like many people. i was nearly trembling when i had to call the vet to make an appointment.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:16 pm

I hate talking on the phone unless I'm talking to my friends or my family. I can't stand phoning to make appointments, in fear of getting some bimbo or foreigner who expects everybody in Canada to sound like carbon copies of each other, and gets confused if they don't. Than I realize that my accent is small potatoes compared to what some people have to deal with, day in and day out no matter what those things happen to be.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2014, 11:22 pm

It's not so much the phone conversations themselves I can't stand, but I can't tolerate being interrupted on the phone :x (well I hate being interrupted anywhere, but on the phone it's worse, your face looks mad but the other person doesn't get the benefit of seeing it!)
My doctor's office phone receptionists are notorious for this. They'll ask you a question, and you're part way or nearly done answering, and they'll interrupt you with the next question... I feel like saying, "if you're not going to wait for my full response, why ask the question"! :x

I love talking to my Grandma on the phone - she's sweet :D

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2014, 11:23 pm

That's how I am. I have no problem talking to my mom on the phone. I don't really mind texting, which I actually prefer more over actually talking on the phone. I always ignore the calls on my phone and hand them over to my mom to call instead, just to see what they are. They are almost always bill collectors or just... I don't know.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2014, 11:27 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
in fear of getting some bimbo or foreigner who expects everybody in Canada to sound like carbon copies of each other,

What do they expect us all to sound like? :? Red Green? LOL Saying 'eh' every other word, with the sled dogs barking in the background? :lol:

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2014, 1:57 am

If I know I'll have to make a phone call, I'll be ruminating over it for a long time and thinking of every possible excuse not to make it. Writing a list of everything I need to say helps a little, but I still have trouble speaking spontaneously. This is why I'm grateful for my best friend, whom I can talk to no matter how many times I accidentally interrupt her :)

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz