Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2014, 1:13 am

I am thinking about getting a service dog, yet I'm not sure if I should. I would technically qualify as an "aspie" (I got my diagnosis after the change), so my problems aren't so bad. I can function pretty well for short periods of time and am really good at "faking it". I just think one would really help me with the sensory stuff because I sometimes don't notice when I'm feeling bad and then go into an overload and eventually meltdown. It would also help me with loneliness. And I am afraid I wouldn't qualify for one because I am an adult. I just feel like I am being unfair.

Should I get one?
How much do they cost?
Do many autistic adults get service dogs?

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:23 am

I have one myself, and I think they are great. Dogs are very good at helping someone with any disability whether it's physical or due to autism. The reason is because they're loyalty to their master. I think it might be good for you because it's a possibility that if you have poor social skills too, that a dog might help you be more open about stuff and make things easier. It won't just be for comfort either.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:23 am

If you can and you really feel the need for one and you have the means to care for it properly, I think you should go for it. I only wish I could have a service animal/emotional support animal.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:45 am

I think a pet (service dog, cat, etc.) is a great thing for an aspie.

We have a tabby cat and it's great having her around. She's very vocal and I think it's great (except at 5am when she wants her food now).

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 10:52 am

If you have a dog of your own that is supportive of you and understands you, you can try here. It's a great place, and it's also approved by the ADA as well so it's not fake. That's how we get both our dogs registered. My mom's dog helps me with my autism by bringing comfort to me during a meltdown or something like that. She (the dog) knows something has happening and reacts to it by coming over to offer support for me.

You can choose between a variety of options, including autism. It gets registered as a service dog, not a comfort animal.

My mom is training her by herself. It's much easier than having to get a stranger dog you don't know very well because that takes a lot of time to get used to.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Sep 2014, 11:10 am

I would love a service dog. But tell me this: I had a mini-poodle (allergies) and he was a wonderful help even without training. But did he ever attract people! Which is the worst thing that can happen to me, is people coming at me all the time, every time I show my face. And going out is not optional - I live in an apartment and I had to walk him - throngs of people coming at me!

Is there a way to have a service dog without making a million acquaintances?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:14 am

Oh my god, Loki, I had no idea you can register your animal yourself on a website like the one in your link. That is terrific. I wish they had something like that in the UK. At the moment there is no UK understanding of ESA and no-pets housing only really allows dogs for the blind and such, but no Emotional Support pets.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

Do you think it would be good to have one in a college environment? I live in a dorm by myself and it's fairly small. I have enough room for me, but I fear the dog would not feel comfortable.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:46 am

Claradoon wrote:
I would love a service dog. But tell me this: I had a mini-poodle (allergies) and he was a wonderful help even without training. But did he ever attract people! Which is the worst thing that can happen to me, is people coming at me all the time, every time I show my face. And going out is not optional - I live in an apartment and I had to walk him - throngs of people coming at me!

Look at the link I posted above your post. XD (Unless you live outside the US)

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2014, 1:22 pm

russiank12 wrote:
Do you think it would be good to have one in a college environment? I live in a dorm by myself and it's fairly small. I have enough room for me, but I fear the dog would not feel comfortable.

You are going to have to be outdoors A LOT in that situation. Dogs need plenty of space. How about a cat instead?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

Look at the link I posted above your post. XD (Unless you live outside the US)

I looked at the link but it doesn't refer to strangers going out of their way to admire the animal, so I end up with strangers joining me everywhere - it's about a problem that wouldn't exist if I didn't have a dog with me. Did I say I have PTSD and am terrified of people? So attracting people would not help. All the years I had Buddy, I wished I could go out with him and not attract people. I was a wreck.

Anyway, I'm in Canada.