Page 5 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 5:36 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
The image of the Sun projected onto your fovea is bright enough to burn it, causing permanent loss of vision, especially if your pupil isn?t as contracted as it would normally be (e.g., during a partial or annular solar eclipse).

Or if the sun is setting and you stare at it for long enough.
Did that as a teen and saw stars for hours afterwards
Found out later I was lucky I didn't damage my eyes 8O

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:53 pm

Narrator wrote:
guzzle wrote:
And this is where science behaves like a religion...
Acupuncture has been effectively used for couple of thousand years now.

I disagree. Acupuncture may have been anecdotally valid for centuries, but so has a lot of voodoo.

And science isn't acting like a religion. If it were to act like a religion, it would deny acupuncture as heretical medicine.

In the case of acupuncture, rather than rely on subjective anecdotal evidence, science uses empirical evidence.

Homeopathy was once in the same credibility sphere as acupuncture. Science has proven acupuncture valid, but it has also proven homeopathy invalid. Homeopathy continues to survive because its theory sounds logical and it's backed up by subjective anecdotal evidence.

Acupuncture is still pseudoscience and probably only useful due to the placebo effect.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/busine ... 094637.php

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:54 pm

guzzle wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
The image of the Sun projected onto your fovea is bright enough to burn it, causing permanent loss of vision, especially if your pupil isn?t as contracted as it would normally be (e.g., during a partial or annular solar eclipse).

Only the UV portion of the spectrum can damage your eyes.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 3:57 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Trick question. They are both seperate issues and have no business being compared. Science is for schools. Religion is for church. Narry they should ever meet.

I figured it out, animeguy. What's my prize?

Nonsense. Science can address many religious questions. Does prayer work? Are certain Bible stories true? Are certain phenomenon a miracle? Can women have a virgin birth?

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:32 pm

AspE wrote:
guzzle wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

So what. Same difference. Bottom line is that your sight gets screwed. Them didn't have fancy sunglasses when I was a teen :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:39 pm

AspE wrote:
guzzle wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

Why doncha put on Blueblocker Sunglasses (that block both the UV, and blue range of the visible spectrum), and then stare directly at the Sun for while?

THEN tell me if you still believe that.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 6:13 pm

Richard Feynman knew this and looked at the first nuclear weapon test with naked eyes through a car's windshield.

Ergop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2014, 2:11 am

Which religion are we referring to here... I'm assuming the western religions.

Buddhism is referred to as the science of the mind. The Buddha has stated that if science comes out with information that refutes the current teachings of Buddha, then the teachings must be changed. The goal of Buddhism is to reduce human suffering.

Certain other religions make no such mention of science and therefore, to me, are most definitely incorrect. If we cannot trust the logic of our own minds and must rely upon another person's conjecture, then we cannot be trusted to make decisions on what is logical and what is not.

Therefore, the only sound religion is one that identifies science as a valuable tool to the path of understanding the whole of life.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 2:17 am

Science provides more answers and solutions to problems than religion does all religions provide area bunch of fairytales and ideas why stealing and killing are wrong backed up by some magical angry skydaddy punishing people for eternity! It shouldn't take some make belive skydaddy that killing and stealing are wrong, just the fact knowing that people who kill and steal are as*holes and worthless pieces of s**t and not to be like them!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 05 Oct 2014, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 5:14 am

AspE wrote:
Acupuncture is still pseudoscience and probably only useful due to the placebo effect.

I'm not sure what the differences are between acupuncture and 'dry needling,' but I'm impressed with the latter. As a skeptic, I finally tried it when I needed some physiotherapy. Physiotherapists here can be trained in dry needle techniques. I asked the physio how they worked.

When you insert anything into the body, the body sends blood to that area and tries to eject the foreign matter. The extra blood flow helps release knotted muscles. I had never known this simple and logical explanation.

And for me the treatment worked like nothing else had before. I am given to understand that 'dry needling,' at least, has had several studies done which give it reasonable if cautious efficacy.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 5:28 am

AspE wrote:
Narrator wrote:
guzzle wrote:
And this is where science behaves like a religion...
Acupuncture has been effectively used for couple of thousand years now.

I disagree. Acupuncture may have been anecdotally valid for centuries, but so has a lot of voodoo.

And science isn't acting like a religion. If it were to act like a religion, it would deny acupuncture as heretical medicine.

In the case of acupuncture, rather than rely on subjective anecdotal evidence, science uses empirical evidence.

Homeopathy was once in the same credibility sphere as acupuncture. Science has proven acupuncture valid, but it has also proven homeopathy invalid. Homeopathy continues to survive because its theory sounds logical and it's backed up by subjective anecdotal evidence.

Aspe I have to disagree recent studies have highlighted that it is better than pacebo for pain relief, there is debate but as this article shows meta anaylysis of the many studies does back this up

http://www.nps.org.au/publications/health-professional/health-news-evidence/2014/acupuncture-pain

On a purely anecdotal note my partner who has MS finds acupuncture to be of some help for her pain management.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:00 am

Why are you idiots arguing about this?

Science saves lives;
Religion changes lives

Its a win win situation!

Do you really think
GOD is on either side of the debate team?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:36 am

syzygyish wrote:

Oops

Quote:
Science saves lives;

Agreed.

Quote:
Religion changes lives

I presume you mean for the better. This is not always the case.

Quote:
Its a win win situation!

How?

Quote:
Do you really think

Which god?

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:26 pm

adifferentname wrote:
syzygyish wrote:

Oops

I mean that affectionately and without malice, as the biggest idiot on WP, I feel I have some authority in this area! (Forgot to put the smiley in. Doh!)

adifferentname wrote:
Science saves lives;

Agreed.

Quote:
Religion changes lives

I presume you mean for the better. This is not always the case.

Quote:
Its a win win situation!

How?

Science tells us we're alone, Religion tells us we're not.

Quote:
Do you really think

adifferentname wrote:
Which god?

All of them! :wink:

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:46 pm

syzygyish wrote:
Science tells us we're alone, Religion tells us we're not.

I've not seen anyone make that claim using science. What do you mean by "alone"? Religion teaches us plenty about human beings, and little else.

Quote:
All of them! :wink:

Colour me disappointed.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:52 pm

AspE wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Trick question. They are both seperate issues and have no business being compared. Science is for schools. Religion is for church. Narry they should ever meet.

I figured it out, animeguy. What's my prize?

Nonsense. Science can address many religious questions. Does prayer work? Are certain Bible stories true? Are certain phenomenon a miracle? Can women have a virgin birth?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp55goEW82c[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 08 Oct 2014, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.