Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 5:30 am

I have been reading up a lot on body language, and I have a question about proximity.

There are four "zones of personal space" that most people have, the "intimate zone" being about 6-12 inches away. Basically, people this close are either touching or could easily put their arms around the other person's shoulders or waist, and is normally reserved for family, bf/gf, and close friends.

A lot of things I have read talk about how to try and move into another person's "intimate zone", but I have not seen how to interpret if someone enters *my* intimate zone if there are plenty of other choices of where to stand. I am not talking about a crowded situation or a waiting in a line. I'm talking about a personal meeting where the other person could stand as far away as 6 feet if desired. Instead, my friend stood about a foot away from me for conversation.

I was the one standing in my spot first, so my friend moved in this close. Then my friend left the room, came back, and stood on the other side of me, again about a foot away. I was not bothered because I am comfortable with this friend. I am wondering if this means that my friend considers me a very close friend but has never said so. I have not had anyone stand this close to me in recent memory (at least 8 years) who was not a family member. Would there be any other reason for someone to choose to stand this close to another person?

Violetvee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2014, 9:52 am

I would say that yes, your friend considers you to be a close friend. But if you really aren't sure, then why not just ask your friend yourself? If anything the worst that might happen is that they'll wonder why you would even ask that.